Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

ozpharlap

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting definitions though, I think we'll find that as serious as this is, it'll be a different kind of problem to Chernobyl.

I review Jap satellite TV shows as one of my little earners and the one I did today had a French Expert, being very careful to say, that whilst anything could happen, so far, it hasn't, and that with the exception of the site itself the surrounding areas were returning to normal or normal like levels.

How true that may be is up for debate, I understand from all the media reports, that there is radiation leakage and some of it is serious. This is a big problem.

But the uninformed Media panic about the giant big melt down, is just fluff, it has not happened.

Cheers

Coss

A good article here at New York Times

"The new estimates by Japanese authorities suggest that the total amount of radioactive materials released so far is equal to about 10 percent of that released in the Chernobyl accident, said Hidehiko Nishiyama, deputy director general of Japan’s nuclear regulator, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency.

Mr. Nishiyama stressed that unlike at Chernobyl, where the reactor itself exploded and fire fanned the release of radioactive material, the containments at the four troubled reactors at Fukushima remained intact over all."

and

"Mr. Nishiyama said “tens of thousands of terabecquerels†of radiation per hour have been released from the plant. (The measurement refers to how much radioactive material was emitted, not the dose absorbed by living organisms.) The scale of the radiation leak has since dropped to under one terabecquerel per hour, the Kyodo news agency said, citing government officials."

The most balanced reporting I've seen so far.

Archived