Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

ozpharlap

Back on Topic,

The operator of the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is struggling to remove highly radioactive water pooled near the reactors.

The contaminated water in turbine buildings and underground tunnels is hampering efforts to restore reactor cooling systems. The water must be removed before restoration work can begin.

The water level in a tunnel near the number 2 reactor has kept on rising after workers transferred 660 tons of water to a condenser.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it found the condenser was half filled on Friday even though it has a capacity of 3,000 tons.

The company concluded that it's not possible to transfer any more water to the condenser.

TEPCO plans to use a waste-processing facility to store the contaminated water. It hopes to start that work by the end of next week.

But the company estimates there's at least 50,000 tons of radioactive water to be removed from turbine buildings and tunnels near reactors 1, 2 and 3. The waste-processing facility's capacity is 30,000 tons of water.

TEPCO plans to use makeshift storage tanks to hold most of the highly radioactive water.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 08:02 +0900 (JST)

Link

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am surprised you are not aware that the technology exist today to convert solar to electricity and the electricity can be used to compress air.

Who said it "did not exist" again?

And I am not surprised to see you making up a lie again to cover yourself. Good job! Of course it exists, it is just not an efficient way to do anything.

Take a lesson from Shyguy, he knows how to debate with out having to make stuff up.

BTW over iceing from pressurised air is what likely doomed the USS Thresher

I am surprised you are not aware that the technology exist today to convert solar to electricity and the electricity can be used to compress air.

Who said it "did not exist" again?

[color:red]And I am not surprised to see you making up a lie again to cover yourself.[/color] Good job! Of course it exists' date=' it is just not an efficient way to do anything.

Take a lesson from Shyguy, he knows how to debate with out having to make stuff up.

BTW over iceing from pressurised air is what likely doomed the USS Thresher[/quote']

[[color:red]b]As usual you result to your same third grade playground tactics. [/b][/color]

Maybe you should contact the University of Arizona and tell them to cancel the Compressed Air Energy Storage program because it is stupid.

Now if you want to debate, are you trying to tell me pneumatic air tools don't exist and/or are not any good?

Smoke at another Japan nuclear plant

OKYO — Smoke briefly rose Saturday from a control panel at a Japanese nuclear power plant operated by the same company battling to stop radiation seeping from a quake-stricken facility, a report said.

There were no injuries but the cause of the smoke at the plant in coastal Niigata prefecture was not clear, Kyodo news said, citing Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO).

The incident occurred in the evening during the checking of water purification equipment at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear complex, the company was quoted as saying.

The beleaguered TEPCO has been fighting to prevent more radiation from leaking out of the Fukushima Daiichi plant in Japan's northeast after it was crippled by the devastating March 11 quake and tsunami

Link

Arizona' Palo Verde Nuclear Plant is considered the largest in the US and has had some of the largest safety comlaints. Being it is not too far from Palms Springs, a major fault line area, I would think the US would be more concerned about the safety of our own nuclear industry..

The Palo Verde provides a considerable amount of electricity for Los Angeles.

Possible new leak at nuclear plant in Japan

Radiation levels have spiked again in seawater near the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in northern Japan in an indication of possible new leaks at the complex, the government said Saturday, According to reports.

Workers have been trying to contain contaminated runoff at the plant that came with efforts to cool reactors and spent fuel rods after the devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami knocked out primary and backup cooling systems for the plant’s six nuclear reactors.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. Inc. /quotes/comstock/64e!9501 JP:9501 -6.20% /quotes/comstock/11i!tkec.y TKECY +1.47% , the operator of the plant, recently found and eventually plugged a leak that might have been spewing for days. Levels of radioactive materials in the ocean near the site fell afterward.

But the government said Saturday those radioactive levels in the seawater rose again in recent days, and may have been caused by the installation of steel panels meant to control radioactive materials, according to an Associated Press report.

Plant workers on Saturday dumped sandbags filled with a mineral that absorbs radioactive cesium into the ocean as the effort to find and contain the leak continued, the wire service said.

Link

Archived