Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

ozpharlap

"Someone needs to learn how to use the ignore function"

Agree. TheCorinthian and BangkokTraveler, any chance you guys could just ignore each others' posts?

KS, I can do as you ask but would like to say this:

It is hard to ignore blatant, ludicrous, and made up points and facts, esp when passed off as knowledge by BKT. (BKT: Weapons are the #1 industry in the US. Ect.) It stifles the debate. We give FoxNews a hard time for it, why does BKT get a pass?

My replies for the solar generator thing were concise, technical, and on the topic of the page, and not personally insulting to BKT as he himself said it was not his idea. He took it up a notch when he decide to make things up. (BKT: You dont know technology exists to compress gas?)

I dont mind BKT being the class buffoon but I do not like his bringing down the level of debate to a "how can BKT make up the better sounding lie to look smart" level. And if you look, I asked him nicely not to do that. (TC: Take a lesson from ShyGuy.)

As I said to Old Hippy a few months ago: if you want to debate, we can debate, but if you want to scream and shout and just make up facts heaven help you. It insults us both. And currently BKT is trying to be the Fox News of Thai360, "any lie is fit to post" and "when pressed for facts, make them up!" (Post# 887207 in this thread is a good example of that.)

KS, I know you dont want raging battles, and as you saw with Old hippy, I can debate logically and not attack when provoked. Which is what I did here. The problem is that BKT can not debate with out insults or made up facts.

Is that really what you want here in the news section? Discussion by mis-representation?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pot calling Kettle...... :rotl:

Whatever happened to Thaihome? Became very quiet when he was called on his self-righteous aspersions.

Debating is fine as long as it is not personalised which seems to be the problem here.

Rumour has it someone is planning a mass debate next friday :neener:

Pot calling Kettle...... :rotl:

Whatever happened to Thaihome? Became very quiet when he was called on his self-righteous aspersions.

Debating is fine as long as it is not personalised which seems to be the problem here.

Rumour has it someone is planning a mass debate next friday :neener:

“self-righteous aspersions�

This post must be the height of dishonesty, even for you.

unlike some, here, I have a real life to lead and only post during working hours :content:

TH

Link

Remote-controlled robots are being used at the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant to measure radiation levels.

The readings from two reactor buildings showed a "harsh environment" for humans to work in, complicating efforts to stabilise the damaged reactors.

It comes a day after the plant operator said it expected to bring the crisis under control by the end of the year.

The plant operator said it hoped to reduce radiation leaks in three months and to cool the reactors within nine months.

Japan's nuclear evacuation area increeasesA cry from the tourism industry heard too late, Japan government increases disaster area for nuclear crisis.

Nuclear evacuation area has been increased today, April 22nd, 2011, as reported by Xinhau News. Today, Japan announced an increase from 20-km to 30-km and has official sealed off a 20-km radius around the Fukushima nuclear disaster site. Accumulation of radiation stimulated the increased evacuation area according to Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano.

This announcement comes immediately after vice president for Japan Nuclear Energy Organization attended the first conference in China’s capital, Beijing, on the global impacts this disaster has. This raises speculation that the accumulation of radiation and increase evacuation announcement was delayed to falsely represent the impacts Fukushima nuke site.

Two other major conferences were held early this week jointly hosted by China and Japan officials. All of these conferences may have been affected by this announcement tremendously. Most of the impacts were discussed under the proclamation of a 20-km sealed evacuated and contained radiation zone. This increase that has been announced will allow statistical misconceptions to arise. These conferences will need to essentially re-evaluate from a third party perspective and eventually new agendas will need to be discussed and conferences held.

Link

Thailand says:

Panel delays plans to develop nuclear plant

The government agreed yesterday to delay the construction of proposed nuclear power plants by three years even as the Japan Nuclear Energy Safety Organisation (JNES) cautioned that Thailand should not use the recent experience of Japan as a factor in deciding on nuclear power policy.

"The most important thing in considering [whether to build a nuclear power plant] is to hold discussions with all sides," said Tatsuo Sato, vice-president of the JNES.

"Mankind should use the best option while also coming up with a framework for safety. However, Thailand should not base its decision on the incident in Japan. Other factors such as the environment are also critical."

Nuclear power comprises 30% of total power production in Japan, but severe plant failures following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami have resulted in power shortages and necessitated rolling blackouts on occasion.

Mr Sato said that cost, ease of use and efficiency also need to be taken into account in power planning.

While Germany and Denmark are undergoing high-profile searches for alternative energy sources, Mr Sato said it would be difficult for all countries to rely on solar cells and wind power as their main energy source.

"Although Japan is currently discussing other sources of energy, due to the costs and dependence on the weather, I think it will be difficult to make alternatives the main energy source of any country," he said.

Mr Sato said Japan was willing to share its experience and lessons to provide information to Thailand about the plant failures there in order to prevent future occurrences.

The National Energy Policy Committee chaired by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday agreed on the proposal by the Energy Ministry to delay Thailand's power development plan. It had called for as many as five nuclear plants with total capacity of 5,000 megawatts to be built, with the first two plants to start producing electricity in 2020 and 2021.

Earlier, the International Atomic Energy Agency said Thailand was not ready for nuclear projects.

At yesterday's meeting, the committee also agreed to extend the current capped prices of liquefied petroleum gas and natural gas for vehicles until September. They were due to expire in June, but LPG will be capped at 18.13 baht per kilogramme, with the NGV retail price will remain at 8.50 baht/kg.

However, the price of LPG used by industries will be increased gradually starting in July by three baht per kilogramme every quarter.

Energy Minister Wannarat Channukul said the committee also approved a plan to borrow as much as 20 billion baht to subsidise LPG and NGV prices through September.

As well, the committee agreed to introduce a new electricity rate structure in July depending on usage, in which the government plans to charge a higher rate to major users to offset its subsidy for light users.

Link

Archived