Stick, Its Time To Move On .....

gobbledonk

I consider myself Hi-So scum.When I'm in a bar in Bangkok,Pattaya or Chiangmai ,I don't care if the guys or girls talk to me one way or the other,I don't care if their millionaires or down to there last baht,I don't tell people how to live their lives,the only thing I hate is cheats an thieves.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Why is Stickmans pension status / wealth or otherwise being discussed on this board. Surely that's his private business and not a topic for public debate?"

Exactly! I am not happy with what I am reading in this thread at all; insults, personal info, etc does not belong here.

I have no problem with people discussing Stick's columns, but please do not discuss the guy himself, especially since he's not here to defend himself.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"Why is Stickmans pension status / wealth or otherwise being discussed on this board. Surely that's his private business and not a topic for public debate?"

Exactly! I am not happy with what I am reading in this thread at all; insults, personal info, etc does not belong here.

I have no problem with people discussing Stick's columns, but please do not discuss the guy himself, especially since he's not here to defend himself.

Sanuk!

Ive never understood what so many people have against Stickers. He writes a free weekly column that people are free to ignore at their leisure.

Meh, Thailand does funny things to people, everyone seems to think that they are the ultimate expert their opinions are law and anyone who disagrees should be blah blah blah.

Its to do with how some forigners react to Thailand, and how easy it is to "be right"

Ill start a thread on this.

Get over it.

Hi,

Sanuk!

It was in context of wasted life while being "an institution". I had no intention to discuss, whatsoever. Others then started (first my stalker Muncher who has never got anything right) magnifying it, adding numbers and sources.

Even Stickman, himself, questions if he has had wasted enough years for nothing, several times a year. Once he sounded he may be packing up the week after.

His ability to fully understand social, political, economical surrounding may be sufficient for the column but not for being considered an authority. He may even outrightly agree with that, leaving his followers puzzled.

I like Stickman. He is one of Bangkok's characters. He has never done anything to make me change that opinion, any more than Bernard Trink did. Stickman's site is entertaining. That is all it should be.

Yet it is amazing how the mere mention of his name brings forth long threads both pro and con. I saw the same thing with Trink in pre-internet days. People either loved him or hated him. It seems to go with the job.

I like Stickman. He is one of Bangkok's characters. He has never done anything to make me change that opinion, any more than Bernard Trink did. Stickman's column is entertaining. That is all it should be. 

Yet it is amazing how the mere mention of his name brings forth long threads both pro and con. I saw the same thing with Trink in pre-internet days. People either loved him or hated him. It seems to go with the job.

Consider this : how many dissenting opinions does he publish in his emails each week ? I have seen exactly one - the vast majority are from mindless sycophants who seem to have appointed Stick as their mouthpiece for all that is wrong in Thailand, although I notice that he has backed right off from overt criticism of the Thais, reporting less of the 'Thai duplicity' stories.

Whatever - its clearly a successful business model, and still more entertaining than the sad bastards at Ajarn, but I'd be happier if he started posting photos of Thais and landmarks well away from the nightlife areas. I've always enjoyed his photos, but I've seen enough shots of fat Farang holding hands with LBFMs. Time for a change of direction.

Consider this : how many dissenting opinions does he publish in his emails each week ? I have seen exactly one - the vast majority are from mindless sycophants who seem to have appointed Stick as their mouthpiece for all that is wrong in Thailand, although I notice that he has backed right off from overt criticism of the Thais, reporting less of the 'Thai duplicity' stories.

Whatever - its clearly a successful business model, and still more entertaining than the sad bastards at Ajarn, but I'd be happier if he started posting photos of Thais and landmarks well away from the nightlife areas. I've always enjoyed his photos, but I've seen enough shots of fat Farang holding hands with LBFMs. Time for a change of direction.

One fun thing about Trink was that he did print the nasty letters he got in his column - without comment. :)

Archived