Stick, Its Time To Move On .....

gobbledonk

Could be that guys are Jealous of him (Stickman)and the other ex-pats who get to live in Thailand full time,guys who had a plan and stuck to it ,to have enough money coming in or saved that they can live in Thailand ,where other guys only dream.There is No reason,that I can see to bash Stickman or any ex-pat,even the ex-pats don't get along all the time but that's another story?

the key word here is "plan".....

many guys do come without one.

BB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be that guys are Jealous of him (Stickman)and the other ex-pats who get to live in Thailand full time,guys who had a plan and stuck to it ,to have enough money coming in or saved that they can live in Thailand ,where other guys only dream.There is No reason,that I can see to bash Stickman or any ex-pat,even the ex-pats don't get along all the time but that's another story?

Good point Rio about expats, one thing that gets my back up about being an expat is that I am expected to to socialize with others of the same ilk, like why? The reason I personally chose to live the expat lifestyle was to get away from such, not to travel 9,600 KM from my home town and live in myopia of little England in a foreign land

I admit I often disagree with Sticks POV on Thailand, but I am entitled to an opinion just as much as he does, life would be boring if we all agreed and all wanted the same thing from it. Conversely I also submit to his column on a Ad-Hoc basis, mundane questions such as "Where can I see Ice Hockey In Bangkok?" or his old "Free Wi-Fi Points" part of his site.

Stick has found a niche and to all intents and purposes is making a living from it and I personally don't begrudge him that and will continue to fire off the odd email to him as and when the time arises.

Stick has found a niche and to all intents and purposes is making a living from it and I personally don't begrudge him that

Yep, and not only that Stick found a niche, but he defended it in times when others would have given up (especailly when a fellow expat tried to destroy his reputation and to force him out of his daytime job). In the end he is the only one in LOS who is keeping on publishing _constantly_ and whose work is highly visible. Being the only LOS expat so highly visible on the web of course makes him a perfect aim for attacks (for what ever reason).

Actually I don't read him often, since his website design puts me off completely, but I admire his standing power.

Yep, and not only that Stick found a niche, but he defended it in times when others would have given up (especailly when a fellow expat tried to destroy his reputation and to force him out of his daytime job). In the end he is the only one in LOS who is keeping on publishing _constantly_ and whose work is highly visible. Being the only LOS expat so highly visible on the web of course makes him a perfect aim for attacks (for what ever reason).

Actually I don't read him often, since his website design puts me off completely, but I admire his standing power.

Yes and all that would be highly admirable if his column wasn't so craven and self-serving.

I'm fine with all of that - if his site is making him enough money to be able to pursue other things, fantastic - the problem, as I see it, is that any happiness seems to be negated by the need to go to Cowboy/Nana/Patts every weekend and report on the same sad bastards and messed up whores he has been reporting on for years. If you are thinking 'They arent all sad bastards and some of the whores are OK', I agree, but he usually chooses to focus on the photo of a hideously fat Farang with a tiny tattooed BG - its just so stereotypical.

Lets move away from the bars into other areas that Stick has expressed dissatisfaction with:

- the absence of 'real' friendships in LOS - he appears to trust very few expats and, fwir, not a single Thai

- Bangkok isnt the city it was 15 years ago, and the changes have been for the worse

- the Thai bureaucracy has gotten worse, and corruption seems to run through every layer of Thai society

I'm not going to debate any of the above - my point is that for someone 'living the dream' he often seems incredibly pissed off in his column. I far prefer the columns where he gets out of Bangkok, especially when he gets right out of Thailand, spends a few days somewhere else and steadily realises how many things he takes for granted in BKK. He usually ends such reports with 'its a welcome change from Bangkok, but I couldnt live there'.

All of the above could be simply designed to generate traffic and bring in ad revenue - if it is, then this thread will just be grist for the mill and people who havent visited his site in years may well do so - but its a far cry from the enthusiasm he clearly felt towards everything Thai in the early years of his column.

Actually I think you will find that most expats that live and work here full time are the one that tend to be the most critical of Stick. His main audience is the hard core visitor whose Thai experience revolves around lower Sukhumivit but dream about getting a freebie from a â€good Thai girlâ€.

Stick knows who his audience is and he takes out his basic dislike of that lifestyle by pushing the envelope of their acceptance of what he writes as far as he can.

But, Stick, like all his most avid fans, has a very bad case of ethnocentrism blended with a severe case of Farang paranoia and the reader submission and Stick’s weekly all just makes everyone feel so superior to the f**ked up Thais who all are out to get the Farangs and their money.

As Mark (Bar4) says, part of the weekly is good source of lower Sukhumvit gossip and rumors. The rest of it is nothing more than pandering to his readership.

If you are one of those people that does not live in Thailand, saves all your money and vacation time for a couple of two or three week visits a year and dream of living here full time, the site speaks to you and you love it.

:beer:

TH

Ouch. As always, TH, you got me. I look forward to posting photos of my endless naked cavortings from 2014 on, but for now you have the upper hand. :surprised:

BTW, my dream isnt to get it for free. Its to avoid having 5 girls a day ring me because I was silly enough to give them my number.

Ouch. As always, TH, you got me. I look forward to posting photos of my endless naked cavortings from 2014 on, but for now you have the upper hand. :surprised:

BTW, my dream isnt to get it for free. Its to avoid having 5 girls a day ring me because I was silly enough to give them my number.

Actually Gobble, this was not actually pointed at you. You actually seem to have some self awareness of your chosen life style.

To be perfectly honest, my dream as a 15 year working Asian expat, is to live the hard core alcoholic/sexpat lifestyle on lower Sukhumvit and be able to do without a worry in the world. I think I would be pretty good at it. :hubbahubba:

Now that you brought it up. Perhaps you can explain the reasons why you would give your mobile number to a girl you just paid to shag? I have several friends that are prone to do the same thing and they have never been able to explain coherently. All I have ever got was a somewhat abashed look and shrug. It just seems bizarre. If you want to shag her again, just go to bar again or street corner you meet her the first time.

It’s almost like it some sort of instinctive reflex left over from when getting a girls phone number was some sort of masculine badge of honor. It was really cool to sitting around with your friends and to have the some woman call you was so cool. Problem is, in Asia, more than likely it is going be a girl looking to make a bit of money.

TH

Archived