Diary of an ex-bg

think_too_mut

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattaya127,

>My friend, her sister in law, confirmed to me she does not like to say she is thai. Shame!

I can relate to that.

This link will give you guys know how normal Thai females feels when they spend their time abroad.

http://www.busakorn.addr.com/thaiwomen.htm

I've posted this link before but I think it is appropriate to do it again. I lover her site and her articles on Thai women.

GTG

orandanodes,

>GTG, I think you are not entirely aware what motives TG's to become BG's in the foreign scene. If your are working on some thesis (as soneone suggested), than perhaps you should do some more investigation.

You don't think that I would rely on the info ONLY from this board, right????????????????

>It is an unfortunate ill of Thai Society. Perhaps you, as a GTG can start a movement to improve the likelyhood of these upcountry girl to be better educated and better accepted by the rest of the Thai Society.

And I will have to solve all the world's problem becasue Im only a female poster who posts the most here on this board? Of course I do my part. Hope your successful-business -woman wife of yours does the same?

GTG

TTM,

>>I think his gf is struggling more?? If she's not on time +/- 10 mins her financial assistant might go down the drain. Very loving bf/potential hubbie indeed. Yeh, it's the price she's willing to pay , I guess. <<

>This is another in a series of stupid assumptions. <

I think I got this notion form your previous post qouted below

Aha, another part of the deal is - the whole show stops if she is not at home between 9pm and 8am. No reason why will be sought.

For what I understand it means you will stop supporting her if she is not in her room between 9pm and 8am.

So if she's late 10 mins, say 9.10 pm , would you stop supporting her?

GTG

<<Aha, another part of the deal is - the whole show stops if she is not at home between 9pm and 8am. No reason why will be sought. <<

GTG,

Look at the broad picture here, what TTM really means is that his GF should be home at night.........

Cheers !

http://www.busakorn.addr.com/thaiwomen.htm

-----------------------------------

believe it or not, i had a little date, well, more like coffee talk with this young woman,in san Francisco. Impressive, no? Trust a french to be persuasive when he wants to get something. I had read her site and corresponded with her by e-mail, then of course nobody can resist me and we met. Aahha. ....

Anyway, certain parts of her discussion were patronizing, dropping stuff like "you must meet a lot of young thai women in Thailand,I know many thai women like farangs a lot" though it was never part of my discussion. So the funny thing is, when i wrote about thai women who fear telling they are thai, she is one of them. I told her,especially after reading her site, she should tell people she is from CM, not Thailand, that would create a space for curiosity, and then she can show her love of Lanna culture, instead of bluntly being smiled upon after just saying "i am thai". I never say i am american, but always San Francisco, or california. believe me, it makes a difference. But IMO, she was not interested, the role of victim was more to her liking. A very stubborn and self-possessed young person, as she described herself to me. I did not push for another date, though i e-mailed her when i went to Thailand last december. Did not get any answer back. Anyway, i think she can probably talk for middle class women, but the real people who need help, IMO, are disfavored, disenfranchised poor people in Thailand. I am just not sure people like Busakorn and young thai feminists pay much interest to them. i wonder if she considers BGs and factory workers in her "thaiwomen" category.

what TTM really means is that his GF should be home at night.........

Why should she be home at night. Is she not allowed to have some fun with friends afetr dark or something?

>>You don't think that I would rely on the info ONLY from this board, right???????????????? <<

I sure hope not !!!!!!

>>And I will have to solve all the world's problem becasue Im only a female poster who posts the most here on this board? Of course I do my part. Hope your successful-business -woman wife of yours does the same? <<

Not all the problems, just the one and you would truly be a GTG. As to my wife you've got a point, but she's too busy to even read boards likes this. But maybe you could team up together and become both GTG's

Forgot to mention that I know many GTG's (if GTG is considered the opposite of BG's), or GTW'n (Good Thai Women) rather. They're all rich and should be able to help out as well.

Dear GTG,

I recently met a Thai girl in Thailand who had spent fourteen years in America.

She was a bright sharp girl, and attractive as well, and I must say I liked her. But I feel that her time in America had, in some ways, made life back in Thailand quite difficult for her.

I do believe that women's attitudes in the west (and U.S. in particular) are very different from those in Thailand. And this girl had clearly gone a long way to adopting some of the western ways of thinking.

She wanted to be independent and not reliant financially or emotionally on a man.

She saw younger girls together with older men, and commented 'Why would she want to be with him? It must just be for the money.'

She refused to do even the tiniest chore for a man.

She expressed opinions, arguments, even criticisms of men in conversation, in a way that I think most Thais would consider 'mai soophab'.

Of course, she has a right to behave exactly as she wishes, and I respect that, but I did feel that this had created problems for her.

Firstly, however many attitudes she had adopted from America, there were still a lot of basic Thai attitudes in her personality which sometimes conflicted.

For example, whilst she expressed her need for independence, at one point she confessed that at 31, she was desperate for a child and family, but that she was too old!

She was also somewhat conflicted about her family. Her father had divorced her mother, and was now living with a younger woman, and in many ways embodied everything she hated, but at the same time, she had a natural Thai respect and love of her family.

I think that her totally non-subservient attitude made it quite difficult for her to form a relationship in Thailand. I am sure there are many Thai men who would appreciate her modern thinking and her independence, but I still think they are not the norm. And she despised most 'farang', seeing them mostly (and with some justification) as bloated, fat, whoremongers, looking for a young girl to have sex, cook, and clean the house.

Finally, and what struck me as saddest was that she had at least partly lost that attribute which I find the most attractive of Thai people - the tolerance and acceptance of other's differences.

On the whole, ordinary Thai people (particularly Issan people, I find) are very accepting of different religious, sexual, and cultural preferences. I think it is part of the 'mai pen rai' approach.

It is interesting, I think, that 'enlightenment' sometimes makes life harder rather than easier. I think Thai people understand this - hence the expression 'You think too much.' But, of course the western approach is to think everything almost to death, to cogitate, to analyse. I'm not sure this always leads to happiness.

Hence, whilst I found this girl intriguing, and quite admirable, and whilst I grew very fond of her in the short time I knew her, I must say (patronising as it may sound) that I felt a little sorry for her, and I felt that her westernisation brought as many problems as it did benefits.

I don't wish to imply that you are the same. I don't know the first thing about you. But I would like to ask you:

Do you think your time in America has affected your attitude?

Do you think that your attitude now is typically Thai?

If you have adopted any western attitudes, how do you feel these have affected your life here in Thailand?

Best wishes,

Paul

ranma500

Archived