Yank shoots Brit dead in Hua Hin

Fidel

First of all, it was not three bullets to the head. The earlier report above said 2 bullets to the body, one to the head. Secondly the gun used was said to be a .22. Which is a very small caliber bullet unlikely to stop a large enraged man unless with a direct hit to the heart or ... the head. Also, we do not know what exactly happened, which was why I said, 'reserve judgement until later'. The whole thing is sad and likely stupid and not warranted, but the original post stated the man barged into the home, manhandled the wife, and further chased/followed the homeowner into his bedroom threatening violence. Going by the original report it sounds like self defense and the home owner feared for his life from an uninvited intruder angry over something done earlier. Now as the reports morph into something possibly closer to the truth the actions of the homeowner seem less and less justified and the whole thing becomes something different. I'd be curious as to the size and age of the slain man, and the size, age of the homeowner with the gun.

As Mekong knows the man killed and he says the man was a good guy and he never found him to be aggressive, and others are saying the man with the gun was 'strange' and always involved in conflicts with others in his 'village' the story and truth therein is probably much different than originally reported. The whole thing was probably avoidable, but when drinking is involved we all know how weird things can get.

But, I stand by my original post whereby I said if a man barged into my home, manhandled/harmed my wife, and chased me into my bedroom, especially if he was larger, younger, stronger, violent and I feared for my life and especially my wife's... I'd shoot him if I had a gun to protect myself and my family. If you don't like that, well, tough shit, Teddy.

Cent

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The whole thing was probably avoidable, but when drinking is involved we all know how weird things can get.

Too true, which is a good reason not to have guns in your house. The fact that the wife owns a rifle makes me believe that they are nut jobs in the first place.

<< ..3 times, 2 in body one in head. >>

If that's not murder, I don't know what is. Where else but in Thailand could a guy get bail after that. :(

2 to the body and one to the head is not necessarily murder. It is merely the protocol taught by some agencies in the use of a handgun. (So seems "strange" that a rifle was said to be the weapon that was used. Don't tell me photos haven't been put on the front page of some Thai rag so we can verify.)

Anyway, "murder" is the unlawful taking of human life. Self defense is not necessarily murder. It is sometimes "justifiable homicide".

As usual, bits and pieces from various sources are catalysts for lots of speculation.

HH

Licensed Nut Job

Guys,

We have all formed initial opinions on this news based on the reports we have heard, none of us yet know the full story of what really happened and I doubt we ever will.

Elef,

you have know me In real life and know the type of people I associate with, having known Martin for over 16 years now and he also a guest at my house in pattaya many times the initial report of

"From what I understand, British guy was upset with American guy. British guy goes to Americans' house, storms in, threatens occupants, grabs Americans Thai wife and enters the bedroom the American had retreated to. American was armed with the Thai wifes' .22 rifle and used it."

Tends to not describe the Martin I know.

I Don't blame Fidel for posting it, he was merely reporting what he read from another forum,Don't shoot the messenger, but it does seem to me as if it was written by a friend trying to defend the alledged perp.

Up until this event Martin and I were still in contact via email, I knew he was working for the same company as me but on a UAE project and he was looking forward to setting up home again in HH working towards his retirement.

Cent,

Kudos to yourself, your initial reply was based upon the sketchy facts first told, and if I had read this without knowing the some of the story I would have probably responded the same way. But all credit to you, you did reply later backing down from your original reaction. That is what seperates true gents from the rest.

Teddy,

Being based in the Middle East yourself you probably know / associate with many people just like Martin,there are probably many current board members who are in the identical situation. Work 16 on 3 off, RnR in Thailand planning for retirement.

Sad Story no matter who was to blame.

"Too true, which is a good reason not to have guns in your house. The fact that the wife owns a rifle makes me believe that they are nut jobs in the first place.

Are you saying what I think you are saying? Do you really believe a person should allow themselves to be assaulted and possibly killed because some believe it is wrong to try to protect oneself?

I think if you read my post again you will understand what I am saying.

My main gripe here though is that the original post was about the death of a man who had two children and was probably just trying to find a bit of happiness in LOS. Instead of offering condolences, most posters used it as a vehicle to project their own gung-ho macho image that they have of themselves.

In all probability, this incident would have been a run of the mill drunken dispute. Only difference was that there happened to be a rifle lying around and another trigger happy American whose natural inbred reaction was to use it.

I think if you read my post again you will understand what I am saying.

My main gripe here though is that the original post was about the death of a man who had two children and was probably just trying to find a bit of happiness in LOS. Instead of offering condolences, most posters used it as a vehicle to project their own gung-ho macho image that they have of themselves.

In all probability, this incident would have been a run of the mill drunken dispute. Only difference was that there happened to be a rifle lying around and another trigger happy American whose natural inbred reaction was to use it.

:wanker::wanker::wanker:

Lazyphil said:

"if u enter my house without invite i've got a cricket bat at hand"

Cricket bat... lol! so british! would take the bat over the gunshot anyday though... and spend convalescene watching again "layer cake" and old Monty Python...

Kojis, out to London - please don't shoot!

[coor:red]"My main gripe here though is that the original post was about the death of a man who had two children and was probably just trying to find a bit of happiness in LOS. Instead of offering condolences, most posters used it as a vehicle to project their own gung-ho macho image that they have of themselves.

In all probability, this incident would have been a run of the mill drunken dispute. Only difference was that there happened to be a rifle lying around and another trigger happy American whose natural inbred reaction was to use it."

[/color]

You got to be kidding! You got to be.

If a guy comes into your house uninvited, you would not do anything?

If You told him to leave and he doesn't, you would do nothing?

If he grabs your wife, you still would not do nothing?

If you try getting away from him and you go to the bedroom, but he still follows you, you would do nothing?

As I said, It is not a crime to be able to defend yourself, but there are several people that would like to see it be a crime.

Archived