christmas morning church service

whosyourdaddy

"...I attend church because I am a Christian. Perhaps not in practice but the bible never said you wait till you are acting perfect then you attend. Also, out of habit, actually a variety of reasons some 'legitimate' biblically and some not. Whatever the reason, I attend. So what? I have admitted my hypocracy ..."

First of all, I am not attacking you, just asking a few questions, to gain perspective. Now...to attack you :) If one is a Christian, doesn't that mean they basically believe and try to follow the tenents of the faith? Thus, how can someone lead a life of sin, and profess to be a christian? Does one put the faith away for a few weeks while on a sex tour/holiday? Admitting one is a hypocrite does not make it right. Come judgement day, will one meet god and say yes, I drank recklessly, endangered myself and others, engaged in depraved sex acts outside of marrage, some of these acts are a sin ( depending on who you talk to, sodomy, etc) and was really a sinner, but I am a christian, and admit I am a hypocrite, so What, it didn't hurt anyone, now forgive me and let me in...? is that how it works?

In that case, anyone can do anything, and use this defense in the end..."sorry god, I raped and killed 50 people, burned down a few churches, but I'm a christian, I went to church and I am a hypocrite, so it's o.k., forgive me and let me in...?" Sorry dude, I just can't buy that idea.

And yes, I have heard this argument from many born again types, the argument that even hitler could get into heaven if he accepts Jesus before he dies...anyone who doesn't is going to hell. So one who leads a good life helping others, is going to hell if they don't accept J.C. but Hitler etc could get in? Again, I don't buy it.

Does one wake up and say today I am a christian and will go to church? or Today I am a sinner and off to Pattaya to sin, god forgive me, I'm a hypocrite, so its o.k.? Shouldn't that person say, God give me strength not to sin today...? One is either a christian, and tries his or her best to follow the rules or they aren't, no turning it on and off when convienient. I seriously doubt many clergy would consider you a christian at all...but who cares what they think anyway?

To end on a humorous note, as I am typing this dribble, I felt after shocks from the major earth quake down south!! :beer:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Would you say that the Catholic church is the most corrupt religion in the world?"

If I had too chose then yes I'd say I pick this one. Having said that though I do not have enough experience with the other main religions.

Still I think they are all corrupt in one form or another.

Sanuk!

Hi KS,

I believe that this thread illustrates why *religion* is one of the subjects we try to avoid on the board- like politics, it just gets people all worked up for no real outcome. Like many of you, I am a lapsed Catholic, and thats the extent of my involvement with the 'church' : any other spirituality I possess is between me and whatever deity (ies) I choose to believe in.

Just my two cents worth.

Basically, OH, as I understand it, no one can say for sure you will go to hell or heaven if you are a professed Christian. That is between you and God and that is why I disagree with any priest or pastor who tells their parishoner they're not going to heaven.

A thief who was on the cross along with Jesus is going to heaven according to the bible and he was a criminal all his life. The vagaries, etc. are a bit too much to explain in this post and frankly I'd rather not. Again, not excusing any action of mine. Just answering your question.

I do find though that westerners who are either agnostic, anti-religion,etc. are basically anti-Christian and not really anti-religion. Moslems can go to LOS and do whatever, Buddhists, etc. but they'll reserve their animus for Christians far more than any other religion, eve though all are hypocrites based n their belief. So what some people on here attend church? Some people on here drink lattes at Starbucks. So? No one is on here prostelyzing or trying to convert anyone or preach to anyone. I think no more of a person on here who attends church or who doesn't. A good friend of mine here in town who comes with me every Saturday to watch soccer, whores around but also goes to synagogue on some high holy days. To me its like 'yeah, so what?', that's his business. He doesn't question me about my attending church and I could care less if or when he goes to synagogue. We're good friends, treat each other fairly and that's what counts to me, more than anything else.

Its like all of a sudden 'oh choc. steve goes to church and whores around. He's different in my eyes now'. What changed from yesterday? A poster on here wants to attend Christmas service. So what? What ever the reason, whats the big deal? The 'controversy' on hypocracy, etc. was brought on by non religious folks and I guess I didn't see the point? A lot of folks on here are married and believe cheating in a marriage is wrong but go to LOS and whore around. If someone admitted they were married and cheats and someone called him a hyprocrite, everyone would call the person who accused him of hypocracy of being some moral cop. Apply it to all circumstances of hypocracy then.

"Just answering your question.

I do find though that westerners who are either agnostic, anti-religion,etc. are basically anti-Christian and not really anti-religion. Moslems can go to LOS and do whatever, Buddhists, etc. but they'll reserve their animus for Christians far more than any other religion, eve though all are hypocrites based n their belief"

Very interesting view of things.

Anti-christians expect people whom have some faith to be perfect. I consider myself an environmentalist. ( worked for the Dept of the Enviroment in between degrees, teach the subject etc but yet I get hammered by friends when I buy a car. Nobody is perfect when it comes to how they lead their life.

anyway.. Merry christmas to all, whatever you beleive in may all your wishes come true

The 'controversy' on hypocracy, etc. was brought on by non religious folks and I guess I didn't see the point? A lot of folks on here are married and believe cheating in a marriage is wrong but go to LOS and whore around. If someone admitted they were married and cheats and someone called him a hyprocrite, everyone would call the person who accused him of hypocracy of being some moral cop. Apply it to all circumstances of hypocracy then.

Chocolat Steve, We don't see eye to eye on a lot of subjects, but I think your spot on here. :applause::bow::applause:

Cheers,

soongmak

artiew said:

Hi KS,

I believe that this thread illustrates why *religion* is one of the subjects we try to avoid on the board- like politics, it just gets people all worked up for no real outcome....

Yep, after all, the original point was to find out where WYD and his good wife could attend something as simple as attending church for Xmas... not an entirely unusual thing for a westerner to do on the 25th of any December.

One would be forgiven for thinking he was requesting information on something alot more freaky going by the respenses.

Well whosyourdaddy,

although I do sympathize with your initial request I would not be too disappointed about any posts that do not suit your current emotions. I guess not too many inquiries to be found on the Vatican website asking for a blowjob bar open on 25th. About hitting a potentially hostile environment for untypical requests.

BuBi

Archived