The end of sanuk?

my personal guess is that the main reason of the pressure on the nightlife is media related. the government needs to show the population that they are tackling pressing issues like drugs.

i think that most officials are aware that the main problems are not centered in the nightspots, but give good articles in the newspapers. to start fighting the real problems thaksin will have to introduce some unpopular measures. that will come later.

as nepfan has pointed out very well, in the larger scale of things in thailand, western oriented prostitution plays a miniscule role.

we should not overestimate our presence in thailand.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

Shamus asked:

"So l do say guys, be honest with yourself and would you stay if LOS never had a sanuk scene? (sorry again! SEX SCENE)"

Let's see, I live in a really nice house, have a beautiful, loving wife, a good job (for now anyway) and lots of close friends.

Pretty sure none of that will be influenced by the sex scene disappearing.

Sanuk!

so nanaplaza.com should become: www.I live in a really nice house, have a beautiful, loving wife, a good job (for now anyway) and lots of close friends.com

and no more of than green woman gyrating around a pole, welcoming us ...............

who's WHO and Issan poverty: I have posted on this site (mostly last year) and others, stories and reports as to how basically, behind the smile of b/gs there are complex problems, and a lot less freedom of choice when it comes to have to work in the sex industry. I got blasted everytime. the main answers being that it's all NGO's looking for funds, media sensationalism, and "the girls tell you what you want to hear and make you feel sorry for them". as for statistics, even WHO does not tell you how they arrive to their numbers. And for Issan, who has really been covering the whole region to be able to sort out numbers about the under-nourrished? All i know is that i go there a lot, will not deny a lot of people there are poor, but the picture is hardly that 1/5th is flirting with starvation. let's say that i don't see everything (of course), but that's making my point. 1/5th under-nourrished, makes a whole region look pretty bleak on the human side, which it is not. 1/5th of the children and we start talking, and even then, the number needs qualifying. BTW, i think i read 1/10th of the children in USA did not get fed enough. though the way they arrived to this number was to say the least, more teling of survey techniques than the veracity of it. etc....

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

Quote from Khun Sanuk

'Let's see, I live in a really nice house, have a beautiful, loving wife, a good job (for now anyway) and lots of close friends.

Pretty sure none of that will be influenced by the sex scene disappearing.'

Well the scene couldn't disappear overnight but in time it could be reduced.

Thailand will remain fairly contant if those pleasure seakers can be replaced with 'regular' tourists but I think you will agree that wont happen either.

Without the billions of baht that sex tourists bring in, Thailand would sink deeper into debt and we might all find it a different place to live. With many of the service industries in decline and far greater unemployment and a lot less farangs around living in Thailand might look a lot less atrractive.

God knows I hope it never happens as my plans involve spending much more time in LOS but I do sometimes wonder what the great plan is.

On some evenings though you could be forgiven for thinking the police in Pattaya are deliberately trying to kill the sex scene.

Originally posted by chicago dave:

"I can't predict anything with certainty, (who can?) but if you follow things from an economic perspective, it won't be eradicated any time soon because too much of Thailand's economic health ... "

Very true. Thailand's prostitution business, in all its open or hidden avatars, is supposed to be responsible for 12% of Thailand's gross net product. That means that one in every eight Baht that you hold in your hand was created by prostitution. It's a massive business (let's call it "cot industry"!) without which millions of people (the prostitutes and their extended families) would immediately fall into abject poverty, possibly even starvation. As it is, twenty percent or so of people in Isaan are undernourished, so imagine what would happen if ...

There's no other employment for all these women. Even now, an end of the economic crises nowhere near in sight, every day people are losing their jobs; and I think under the wise guidance of Thaksin things will become much worse in the near future.

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Pattaya 127,

undernourished does not necessarily mean "flirting with starvation"; it means either that the people concerned don't get the amount of calories to eat that they burn up in their daily lives (call it getting a bit more haggard day by day) or - more likely - that they can't afford food which provides them with the necessary vitamins and other nutritients that they need. It's bad enough, but maybe not as dramatic as your phrase implies.

I myself have seen Issan kids pick out maggots from buffalo droppings which were then used as food. Maybe I'm wrong and the maggots are considered a local delicacy.

Have you ever spoken to an Isaan farmer? Why do they go to Bangkok in between harvests to make some money? The average rice farmer that I've spoken to produces 2-3 tons of rice per year, to be sold at a maximum of 5 Baht per kilo. That makes at best 15,000 Baht - per year! Subtract from that the costs of fertilizer, farmhands to be paid etc., and there'll be a pittance left. Unfortunately, due to water shortage in most places in Isaan there's only one harvest per year (unlike in Central and Southern Thailand). They may not be starving they way we saw in Biafra or Bangladesh in the seventies, but things are certainly far from hunky-dory.

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

nepfan,

>>

If you eliminated the Farang sex industry in Thailand you would end the blemish on Tourism that comes from being a sex capital. The small void left by Farang sex tourists would be filled 10 fold by tourists previously unwilling venture to Thailand because of its reputation.

<<

Where do you get your numbers from that millions of tourists decide not to go to Thailand due to the sex scene? I have not met anyone that said this is the reason they do not visit Thailand. The reasons I hear are the plane ticket costs too much, it takes too long to get there, it is too polluted, language barrier, or the water is unsafe to drink.

The red-light districts of Amsterdam, Berlin, and Sydney does not prevent tourists from visiting these cities. And in Amsterdam you also have the open use of drugs, but tourists still come in huge numbers. laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by New Dog on the Block:

Now on the subject of Thaksin, I went to a private luncheon regarding business 'issues' in S.E. Asia (they used to use the word 'opportunities' for these luncheons, but not anymore.) Industry and U.S. government reps attended. A private group that tracks 'grease payments' for shipments in and out of Thailand reported that since the change of gov, complaints have doubled from US companies doing business with the LOS. Complaints about improper requests by parties bidding for contracts involving the Thai government have gone up by nearly two-thirds as well.

Its not just Sanukers complaining. Pick up a copy of any reputable financial newspaper or magazine that reports on Asia, such as The Economist, Far Eastern Economic Review, the Asian Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, and you will see the same complaints and observations.

We live in a global economy. And it is not really a matter of who "owns Thailand" or who "Thailand belongs to" (an odd and somewhat disturbing concept coming from this side of the pond.) It's just bad for business.

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: New Dog on the Block ][/QB]

bad business or not, not global or super-global it is still their business. t'was my point... But on the subject of the global village, If (a big if) the thai governments are serious about improving the country's image, that is because the world is getting global, and occidental pc-ness is creeping in thru its many networks. Sometimes, it's not a bad thing, mind you.

Archived