Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"I have to comment that you made a pretty ridiculous statement here"

Granted, it takes a lot more balls to intervene in a fight than it does to post something embarrassing on an public board, but that doesn't change in the fact that he at least did do that. All we hear from you usually is talk on how great you are. But it all is only talk.

I have no idea how you would react had you been in the same situation as him, but I am certain that if you had reacted the same as Batty, you would *not* have mentioned the incident.

Sanuk!

This is not about me KS, this is about Batty. I validated my comment of cowardice which you can't refute and you can't defend your view so you attempt to find another angle to come at ME. Pretty lame n your part.

Dude u really have to get the chip off of your shoulder when it comes to me. It appears that I don't fit your "model poster" profile but whatever your hangups are u have got to let them go.

So if I choose to post how as you say "great I am" then so be it. I AM FUCKING GREAT!!! That is me. What would you like ? Constant tales of human failing, bitterness along the lines of the Thai BG bitch scammed me, I bought her 5 houses she had a Thai bf on the side and now my heart is broken but that's okay I will go back to the bars and find another BG to help me forget the last one? Sorry but that type of shit has not happend to me.

My life could be worse and it could be better but so far it is okay. So, I therefore like to focus on my "greatness".

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
validated my comment of cowardice which you can't refute and you can't defend your view so you attempt to find another angle to come at ME. Pretty lame n your part.
I think I am going to save this thread because it is perfect example of how you posture and pose as some sort of tough street smart guy who really knows the score. I guess that is how you see it. But you actually come across as prententuous and ridiculous - a real poseur.

Gadfly1 said:
What a load of hogwash!
Yes, I agree with that statement about your own post. The fact is that bystanders and authorities are more likely to intervene in the US than they are here. No one is saying that bypassers will intervene in every altercation in the US, and in many they will not, but they are far more likely to do so in the US than in Thailand.

How do I know? I have lived here for over ten years and, before that, for over 30 in the US. And I still spend a great deal of time in the US.

JJ - I usually ignore your posts because, well, to be perfectly honest, I don't think they don't merit response. You do an excellent job, on your own, of discrediting yourself. But on this point I wanted to make sure that my post wasn't miscontrued into some sort of absolute statement. I am talking about what generally happens.

No to you, but to more reasonable others, pause and think about your experiences in the US. Think about the likely reaction if you started slapping around an older woman around in SF's Union Square, a West LA shopping mall or in store on Park Avenue in New York. Think about it honestly...

Actually Gadfly I read ur posts because they provide me with a good chuckle. You get so bogged down stereotypes, numbers, stats, citing references or espousing other "credentialed" authors that you fail to see the obvious at times. You remind me of an insulated bureacrat or academian that does not participate in the world of those you study or provide services for. You actually can't discredit yourself because in none of your posts do you have an original, critical or "free" thought. You think in a safe box that others have created for you. You constanly espouse or reurgitate others arguments.

You want to use a West LA mall SF Union Sq or Park ave as an example? How about using certain parts of Washington DC, The South Bronx or Avon Ave in Newark NJ? The fact that you use certain places in the USA that are populated by a certain demographic is very telling about your view of the West vs Thailand. Your very insulated my boy.

Gadfly1 said:

validated my comment of cowardice which you can't refute and you can't defend your view so you attempt to find another angle to come at ME. Pretty lame n your part.
I think I am going to save this thread because it is perfect example of how you posture and pose as some sort of tough street smart guy who really knows the score. I guess that is how you see it. But you actually come across as prententuous and ridiculous - a real poseur.

WOW!!! My critique of your post must have really stung your frail ego! Your getting really personal these last 2 posts! LOL!! :D

It must really burn you that I don't fit in one of your little boxes. Am I street tough? Sort of. I prefer "street smart". Yet I can also cut through your silly financial/economic arguments that you like to regurgitate from FEER, The Economist or the WSJ or some conference you attended.

Iwill save this thread because it is rare for you to lash out in such a petulant manner. As if u were some aristocrat that was frustrated by the fact that he was bested by a commoner! :o

all this critisism is really irking me, too. This post presented a dillemma that I can't sort out either. In the states, If I saw such a scene I'd step in and shut it down. It doesn't matter what it's about, you don't let a man beat on a woman. If she wants to go back and get thrashed in private that's her business.

I would expect any american man who could feasably step in without getting thrashed by the dude himself to step in. I would expect people in the crowd to support me. Those of you who say it would go on uncontested in the states must live in a different america than I do. Guy v Guy could go on for 30 minutes, but you put a woman in the mix, and it'll get shut down.

Here in Thailand, things are different. It's clear from this post that the culture is not the same, the locals will let a lady get slammed in public. If I wasn't concerned about getting demolished by a group of the bystanders becuase I *am* sure that locals will jump in to thrash a Farang in a fight with a Thai, I'd probably put a stop to it regardless of culture.

Unfortunately, I think i would have stood there anxious to do something, and biting my tongue like all the piece of shit locals who watched. Like you, i'd feel bad about it, but I think it's the right decision.

BTW, in the states, i would not expect a foriegner on holiday to step in and be a hero, either.

aesthete said:Those of you who say it would go on uncontested in the states must live in a different america than I do. Guy v Guy could go on for 30 minutes, but you put a woman in the mix, and it'll get shut down.

GUess it goes to show that America is not one big homogeneous melting pot. I would say there are several different Americas.

I would love to see your America where a guy vs guy fight lasts 30min, they must be supermen. Most one on one fights I have been in or witnessed never lasted more than 5 min. If it was longer than 5 min then it was mostly shit talking for 10min with about 3min worth of action

Regrettably I think Batty did the right thing. As old Hippie says fights between couples are very difficult things to handle. I have had personal experience of getting involved in situations I thought was right, including a women screaming for help, to have the female side with the man when the going got tough for him. The police call these domestics and hate them and avoid them like the plague.

From you story it sounds like the damage to the women was superficial: she was still basically standing. You had no idea what it was about and what the relationship was. And frankly you are in a city and country that is not your own. I suppose the one thing you could have done, and I would have done in the UK, is call the police, but if you do not speak the language that is well nigh impossible and they would probably have dismissed it as a domestic. Do not blame yourself. And to those who would get involve I suggest you think long and hard before stepping into a domestic. I suppose if you thought serious damage was being done you would have to think again. But it is not an easy situation, on your own in a foreign city to get involved in a street fight. It may be brave but as they say discretion is the better part of valor.

Hi,

"I validated my comment of cowardice which you can't refute and you can't defend your view so you attempt to find another angle to come at ME."

How am I not defending my views? Didn't I just explain to you what I meant?

Furthermore this became about you as well when you started telling (bragging?) about how you would have handled things.

Anyway, I guess Gadfly1 has already summed things up quite decently and I am gonna back out of this now. My parents are here and we'll have a nice party this afternoon.

Sanuk!

Not knowing the language you just can not determine what was REALLY going on. Probably the other Thais around, did know what was going on and decided not to intervene. You said the man was about 20 years old. A lot of them do not hold to the old ways and in many cases live by there own rules. If the women was near his age, it could have been something as simple as him finding out she sells her body and he violenty reacting to the discovery. But being there was a major age discrepancy, I can not even fathom to guess what the problem was.

In those cases when Thais are present, let them handle the problem and get out the area as fast as possibe so you do not get caught up in the situation.

:twocents:

I would have done the same thing you did in your situation Batty and would probably feel the same as you do now. I helped out a good mate when I was in my teens when he was getting flogged by five blokes, it cost me a night in hospital and nine stitches inside my mouth. I learnt my lesson.

Archived