Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
khunsanuk said:

At least Batty had to balls to tell us about it and tell us he felt ashamed of himself. Something I am certain you would *never* do.

I have to comment that you made a pretty ridiculous statement here. You give a guy credit for "having the balls" to tell his story and admit he was ashamed yet said guy did not "have the balls" to help a person that he trruly believed needed needed assisstance and then rationalizes his inaction as a Thai/farang cultural issue.

I hope that if I ever commit a crime there are 12 jurors like you on my trial.

I would never intervene between a man and a woman fighting...even cops hate to do it. Reason? Not cowardice, but because you usually end up with the woman jumping on you to defend the dude...just how it goes in a lot of cases...Cops here come, break up the fight, maybe get into it, take a risk subduing the guy, then next thing you know, she bails him out, sucks his dick and proclaims she loves him and he "didn't mean it..." Not worth the risk/hassle. I'd rather break up a bar fight than a domestic punch up...

As a human being and growing up in the USA, such events tug at your heart, for sure!

As a rule of thumb, I watch what the other Thais do, how they react to a situation.

I do not speak enough Thai to know and understand such a situation, but I know that there was a reason that the other Thai people did not get involved. Most likely, a person from the west will never understand the situation completely.

Example, last year around April, I was on 95 Soi having a beer with a few of the local Thai men in the area. Just kicking back, chatting, nothing special. There were three young Thai men there that I never noticed to be around before. Suddenly they started fighting with the larger of the three. I mean, Muay Thai, full contact, knock em down, kick the crap when one went to the ground. The Thai gentleman that I usually chat with, instructed me to move across the Soi to another local food stall, which we did.

I later found out, that the fight was over what music one of the lads wanted play on the small boom box.

Yes, I had thoughts of breaking up the fight, but watching what the other Thais did, which was nothing, proved to be most prudent. Ohhh, that was round one, the three went away for ten minutes and then all came back fighting again!

I see one of the lads around once in a while. The larger Thai, never saw him again.

Point is, if I would have jumped in to break up the fight, I would have been dragged into a dispute of "what CD to play". I was pleased that I chose to do what the other Thais did and that was nothing. JMO.

Hi,

"Why did I comment the way I did? Easy.

1. He admits he wanted to do something but he didn't. He calls himself a wanker for not getting involved.

2. He purposely chooses not to do anything yet he gets angry with the Thais and scorns them for not getting involved as he did.

3. he admits if it was in England he would have most assuredly involved himself.

4. He reduces his non-action as a Thai vs farang conumdrum.

6. He chose to not assist another human being on silly ethnic/nationalistic/cultural rationales.

All that adds up to COWARDICE in my book."

Ok, fair enough, however I still think you could have kept back some of the vitrol (?) in your reply. As I said, you were not there and that makes it very easy to question the decisions Batty made. It also makes #1 very difficult to comment upon.

As for the ethnic issues, I can kinda understand his concern. We are outsiders here, and his involvement in this could very well have turned against him.

SD, I agree, I doubt many people would have helped if this had happened somewhere in the West.

Sanuk!

PS What happened to entry #5?

Hi,

"I have to comment that you made a pretty ridiculous statement here"

Granted, it takes a lot more balls to intervene in a fight than it does to post something embarrassing on an public board, but that doesn't change in the fact that he at least did do that. All we hear from you usually is talk on how great you are. But it all is only talk.

I have no idea how you would react had you been in the same situation as him, but I am certain that if you had reacted the same as Batty, you would *not* have mentioned the incident.

Sanuk!

Old Hippie said:

I would never intervene between a man and a woman fighting...even cops hate to do it. Reason? Not cowardice, but because you usually end up with the woman jumping on you to defend the dude...just how it goes in a lot of cases...Cops here come, break up the fight, maybe get into it, take a risk subduing the guy, then next thing you know, she bails him out, sucks his dick and proclaims she loves him and he "didn't mean it..." Not worth the risk/hassle. I'd rather break up a bar fight than a domestic punch up...

Yeah I avoid domestic spats too unless the dude is attempting to beat the chick as she was a dude, then I have to pull the cat off of her. Pretty easy to tell if a guy is simply smacking his chick around trying to scare her more than cripple her or trying to beat her to death.

Makes me think of a couple of spats where I had to pull a chick away from a guy because she was getting the best of him. You have to be real careful if the fight breaks out in a kitchen because chicks will grab a knife in a minute!

What a load of hogwash!
Yes, I agree with that statement about your own post. The fact is that bystanders and authorities are more likely to intervene in the US than they are here. No one is saying that bypassers will intervene in every altercation in the US, and in many they will not, but they are far more likely to do so in the US than in Thailand.

How do I know? I have lived here for over ten years and, before that, for over 30 in the US. And I still spend a great deal of time in the US.

JJ - I usually ignore your posts because, well, to be perfectly honest, I don't think they don't merit response. You do an excellent job, on your own, of discrediting yourself. But on this point I wanted to make sure that my post wasn't miscontrued into some sort of absolute statement. I am talking about what generally happens.

No to you, but to more reasonable others, pause and think about your experiences in the US. Think about the likely reaction if you started slapping around an older woman around in SF's Union Square, a West LA shopping mall or in store on Park Avenue in New York. Think about it honestly...

Archived