Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

"... had this been in ANY U.K, European or U.S town, I confident that the group of people watching would have intervened. Two guys slogging it out would be left be, but a guy beating up a girl - no chance of the guy getting away with it back home..."

Plenty of places I know of, Americans would not do anything other than call the police, in a domestic situation. To many times, it goes bad fast.

OH, granted that this can happen in the US, and sometimes people will not do anything more than call the police. I also agree it can get worse very fast. And I agree that Farangs should stay out of disputes in Thailand they don't understand - I'd probably go a step further than you on that particular point.

But there is another rather fundamental point here that should be highlighted: this kind of stuff does happen more often here. A few examples from the US doesn't change this. Without getting into any judgements about the culture as a whole, the question I personally find more interesting is why does it happen more often here? It certainly does happen more often - the more interesting question is why?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly1 said

He doesn't have a better way with words. Actually JJ's words are his own worst enemy; particularly in written form where they can be preserved to embarrass him in the future. And he is not good at reading - meaning, in this case, understanding - the posts of others.

You gotta be kidding ?..right??? He?s arguably one of the best posters on this board!!!!

Gadfly1 said

JJSushi is a classic poesur: sometimes his posts are amusing, and sometimes they are simply annoying. But he really is nothing more than a braggart

You forgot to add, logical and articulate! JJ provides a lot of insightful analysis and his comments take the subject deeper than it otherwise would of gone. He has a provocative style and my only criticism of JJ is when he crosses over the line which results in an interesting thread being closed.

Interesting sarcasm and actually humurous. But back on point, the more interesting question is why this sort of public abuse is more readily accepted in Thailand.

Gadfly1 said:

He doesn't have a better way with words. Actually JJ's words are his own worst enemy; particularly in written form where they can be preserved to embarrass him in the future. And he is not good at reading - meaning, in this case, understanding - the posts of others.

I called him for what he is, he didn't like it, and then assumed, incorrectly, that I did so because I was insulted by his post. (All of which tells us something about the way JJSushi thinks.) I wasn't insulted in the least.

JJSushi is a classic poesur: sometimes his posts are amusing, and sometimes they are simply annoying. But he really is nothing more than a braggart - the type of loud mouth bar stool pundit you might find in NEP pontificating about things he really doesn't understand on a Sunday afternoon (I think we have all encountered this type). Sometime these types are good for a hoot on an otherwise boring afternoon and sometimes they are just irksome, but no one sensible ever takes anything they say seriously. I recognize the type. That is why I cannot, and I hope others don't, take anything he says seriously.

If mods are what they are, this post should be nuked as it only bashes one poster, against the rules of this board.

As for the subject at hand, I would run away from the situation.

Why ? I am 50 yo, not in the best of physical shape and right or wrong, that is not my fight.

Plain and simple, I would be a coward.

JIMO.

BB

This is very wrong. You may be right if you say "US" instead of "West".US and West is not the same.
You are right about the US and Europe not being the same; I don't know what the level of private charity is in Europe. OK, let's limit it to the US; or, and I think this might be more productive, let's include spending on social welfare in the equation, because the point here is intervention when this sort of abuse is occurring in a public place.

Here, when this happens, people go out of their way to pretend they don't see what is happening. They strain to pretend they don't see it to the point where it is, well, weird. Maybe in some particularly rough areas of the US this is also true, but in general, you are much much more likely to see some form of intervention in the US than in Thailand. (I will leave Europe out of this for now since I only know Europe as someone who has visited there frequently but has never actually lived there.) People also seem to care less about what happens in public, or common, areas. I think there is a connection.

I know I risk offending some who can only see Thailand through rose tinted glasses (hence some of the remarks above) by even raising the issue, but when you look at (a) the general neglect of public areas in Thailand - even when you adjust for wealth levels - and (B) the absurd lengths to which Thais will go to avoid even acknowledging serious problems that are literally staring them in the face, I begin to suspect there is a connection.

Perhaps another example of the 'tragedy of the commons'?

BB, let's cut the nonsesne and be honest for a moment. Anyone who has had any history on this board knows that JJ goes out of his way to make an issue of himself rather than the issue being discussed. In brief, the comments I made were deserved. What I am trying now is a new approach (sort of an experiment) to cut that nonsense short by calling it like it is so that we can move on discuss more substantive issues. And that is all I am going to say on the subject of that poster.

Now, if you have anything substantive to say about why you think there is less intervention in Thailand - or if you disagree with that factual claim - I really would like to hear it because I honestly do think it is an interesting issues. Scout's honour, you won't get burned.

Archived