Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"I validated my comment of cowardice which you can't refute and you can't defend your view so you attempt to find another angle to come at ME."

How am I not defending my views? Didn't I just explain to you what I meant?

Furthermore this became about you as well when you started telling (bragging?) about how you would have handled things.

Anyway, I guess Gadfly1 has already summed things up quite decently and I am gonna back out of this now. My parents are here and we'll have a nice party this afternoon.

Sanuk!

LOL!! KS there really is not a position for u to back out of. We''ll drop it and move on.

Enjoy your party; I'm going to finish cleaning up and continue with preparations for my Super Bowl bash.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJ I made the mistake of jumping into a domestic fight here in the states a while back and I will never do it again. Cowardice, no OH hit the nail on the head about having two people to deal with when a domestic fight breaks out.

The worst part about it the woman yelled for help after the guy smacked across the face with one of those big three ring binders. My friend and myself ran across the street to help her while someone else called the cops.

We restrained the guy until the cops came. Believe it or not the stupid bitch said we jumped him for no reason! We almost got arrested until someone else who saw the whole thing told the cops that she yelled for help. We ended up going to court as witnesses and had the judge tell us we did the wrong thing!!

Un-fucking-believable!!!

Add the Thai vs farang factor into what happened there and I guarantee something bad would have happened if he would have jumped in.

Hey, I'm no hard guy (which is why I ditched the cape/Batty Angels Bust1 :doah: ::) But coming from a fairly rough town originally I was brought up to stand my ground should I have to.. To this end, I have never backed down from confrontation. This was different, it was more like... confusion. My instinct was to drop my beer and go over, but half way there I realised I was the only one, and I am a fellang, no one else seems to care (am I missing something?) and I hesitated.

I think the Thai Fellang thing is important here because if I had got involved, the Thais standing around just watching probably would have felt a massive face loss. Something along the lines of "this fellang wants to be a hero eh? He thinks we are all cowards eh?" The end result could have been disastrous for me. So I suppose I did back away as I was worried about the consequences, in essence I suppose this does make me a coward of sorts. I certainly felt like one last night. I think I did the right thing though. The guy would have gone for me, I would have gone back and judging the size of him compared to me and his comical bitch slapping, I probably would have fucked him up. That would have left 20 insulted Thais standing around glaring at me, probably wanting to prove that they are not cowards after all.

Further more, had this been in ANY U.K, European or U.S town, I confident that the group of people watching would have intervened. Two guys slogging it out would be left be, but a guy beating up a girl - no chance of the guy getting away with it back home, which is why I questioned the whole 'Thai love Thai' thing.... they are the ones who are always bragging about it, but I didn?t see any Thais loving Thais last night!

I can recal another time when a friend of mind decided to get involved when two groups of young Thais went ?toe to toe?. It?s a long story, but lets just say he thought he new the guys well and wanted to help. He was drinking with one group of them all night. All he did was walk over and shout ?for fucks sake calm it down whats wrong with you all!? Then tried to separate two guys slogging it out. ALL of the Thais turned on him, simply because he was a fellang, and shouldn?t have got involved. Nothing came of it, but the intent was made clear.

"... had this been in ANY U.K, European or U.S town, I confident that the group of people watching would have intervened. Two guys slogging it out would be left be, but a guy beating up a girl - no chance of the guy getting away with it back home..."

Plenty of places I know of, Americans would not do anything other than call the police, in a domestic situation. To many times, it goes bad fast.

When was maybe 14, I saw a guy hit his wife, her brother came over, and knocked the guy silly...his brother (of the husband getting his ass kicked by wife's brother) came of to help...when he found out his brother had been hitting a woman, he slapped him as well! these were Latino guys, and they don't play that shit in SOME cases. Of course when the cops came, "nothing had happened" and no one saw anything...this was sort of a normal occurance with them.

Not surprising, wife beating was sort of a norm in our neighborhood. I would say 99% of the time, the wife never left the guy, and defended her beater husband to the cops and to her family and others. Failure to do so would mean loss of face/honor for both, and maybe a worse beating for her later on... Sad. I don't think much has changed. People go nuts in domestic situations. The worst fights are between loved ones, a lot of emotion and passion, and it is best to stay clear.

I'd say you did the right thing in staying out, I can understand your feelings, but non the less you acted properly. Only thing is, I wouldn't be so critical of the Thais here, this is their culture and they know how to act, as strange as it may seem to us...

"I wouldn't be so critical of the Thais here, this is their culture and they know how to act, as strange as it may seem to us... "

Yep, fair point.

By the way, when I say that 'back home' this would not be tolerated, I mean in a similar situation.... in the middle of a shopping area, town square or even bar. I?m not talking about fellangs kicking someone?s door in out of suspicion of wife beating; I mean the literal comparison - in plain view of passers by.

As a Landlord I have witnessed more than a few domestic altercations. One time a Tenant called me very concerned. She said the couple in the next apartment was fighting and it sounded like the husband was beating his wife to death. I went immediately to the couple?s apartment and knocked on the door. Husband cracks the door open and he?s has streams of blood running down his face. I told him, ?I don?t give a crap what u do in your apartment but if I have one more complaint about any loud noises emanating from your unit you?ll be asked to leave. I didn?t ask anything more because I really didn?t care. A month passes and the wife calls me up. She asks me if it would be possible to move to a rental home that I own. I asked her why she wanted to transfer as they had complied with my request and there had been no further complaints about noise. She replied, ?Yea but staying quiet is ruining our sex life.!?

I have also injected myself into domestic situations after I determined my intervention was warranted and each time I did intervene I suffered negative consequences to varying degrees. The criteria JJ outlined as to when someone should intervene is spot-on.

As to the situation described by the original poster, my reaction would have been to mind my own business but I wouldn?t have felt like a coward for doing

He doesn't have a better way with words. Actually JJ's words are his own worst enemy; particularly in written form where they can be preserved to embarrass him in the future. And he is not good at reading - meaning, in this case, understanding - the posts of others.

I called him for what he is, he didn't like it, and then assumed, incorrectly, that I did so because I was insulted by his post. (All of which tells us something about the way JJSushi thinks.) I wasn't insulted in the least.

JJSushi is a classic poesur: sometimes his posts are amusing, and sometimes they are simply annoying. But he really is nothing more than a braggart - the type of loud mouth bar stool pundit you might find in NEP pontificating about things he really doesn't understand on a Sunday afternoon (I think we have all encountered this type). Sometime these types are good for a hoot on an otherwise boring afternoon and sometimes they are just irksome, but no one sensible ever takes anything they say seriously. I recognize the type. That is why I cannot, and I hope others don't, take anything he says seriously.

Archived