06/07 SEASON FOOTBALL THREAD

sayjann

Sayjann,

Agree with Junglesoup, untill anything is signed he's an Arsenal player and he would play 1st team football.

If I was Wenger, I would definately play him. It's Chelsea's loss if they couldn't clinch a deal early enough, not Wenger's problem, really, is it?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the russians want him bad enough they'll pay the 25 or 30 million quid or whatever it is.

And they can't say he's over priced. He's arguably the best player in the world at his position or top 2 or 3 at the worst. If they're willing to pay 21 mil for SWP and leave him on the bench as well as 24 for Dogma, and 20 odd some million for Essien, surely they can't argue that they wouldn't pay 25 mil for him. In fact at 25 mil he looks like a friggin' bargain compared to the SWP deal as he's not even a starter.

Reports are we are interested in Gallas and if we get him in a deal with them, I won't be unhappy about it as we neeed a CB but I'd rather have obi Mikel, the center mid teenager. Under Wenger's tutelege the boy will be class. I was really impressed with him at the youth championships a year ago.

The MLS all stars from our domestic league showed how its done and beat the russians 1-0 :D

Seems like man poo are so desperate for silverware even preseason tournaments that mean nothing are now regarded as silverware. Arsenal won the same preseason tournament last summer but you heard nary a mention of it as some sort of trophy. The tournament was regarded as good way to prepare for the season, no more no less. We played a reserve side for the most part. But when the trophies are dried up for some you take what you can get like the Ajax preseason tourney and the highly (dis)regarded league cup...did someone mention mickey mouse and cup in the same sentence? hehehehe

Even sperz players are taking a shot, Berbatov turned down a chance to play for the red third of Manchester so he can come to North London and watch from down seven sisters road how sexy footie is played.

Zaad, you must be glad of the O'Neil signing. I hope he doesn't get it sorted by the first match. We have you guys at home and I would like christen the first league match at Ashburton Grove with a win.

I'm going to be very curious to see how Mourinho tries to make a team of it and how Ballack and Lampard play together.

I'm also very wary of Liverpool. As it stands, they seem the best prepared to take on Chelsea or at least make a fight of it to a certain extent. Still can't see how Chelsea can be dislodged from the title though. When you've outspent everyone in the league for 3 sucessive seasons and buy any player at any price its a bit discouraging, but you all rest assured. Arsenal will once again have to save english footie as we did in '89 upending Liverpool from their dominance and how we did in '98 stopping the red horde from the pennines from making the leauge uncompetitive. Its a hard, dirty job but someone has to to do it. :smirk:

I'm also very wary of Liverpool. As it stands, they seem the best prepared to take on Chelsea or at least make a fight of it to a certain extent. Still can't see how Chelsea can be dislodged from the title though. When you've outspent everyone in the league for 3 sucessive seasons and buy any player at any price its a bit discouraging, but you all rest assured. Arsenal will once again have to save english footie as we did in '89 upending Liverpool from their dominance and how we did in '98 stopping the red horde from the pennines from making the leauge uncompetitive. Its a hard, dirty job but someone has to to do it. :smirk:

I get amazed at the comments about Liverpool, they beat us in two semi's, sure, but challenging for the league....dont make me laugh.....at the moment they are a good cup side (they'll probably beat us next sunday) but they are not consistant......Chelseas biggest threat is by far United and if the gooners get their act together then they could be up there.....

Chelseafan,

Agree with the inconsistency, but nothing lasts forever, does it? I think Liverpool's biggest problem has been the crappy strikers. Now with Bellamy they may have found their missing link..we shall see.

CS,

I think the Arse are too fired up to take 3 points at their first ever home game in the new stadium. I doubt my team are able to cause an upset, unless O'neill brings magic into the Villians :D

I guess all you Man U, Hollywood, Liv and Arse fans expect nothing but the championship.

I guess my aims are lower...I'm falsely hoping for a European ticket :up:

Arsenal again.

am reading conflicting stories about Reyes.

first he was suppossed to have been tricked by a Spanish radio station into giving an interview where se was suppossed to have siad that he was still waiting for Real Madrid to sign him.

then i hear he has denied saying that and that he is happy at Arsenal and wants to stay.

then i hear that he has asked to be left out of the Arsenal Team in the CL next Week as he doesn't want to be cup-tied.

anyone know what the 'truth' might be?.

BTW.

the mighty Cowdenbeath cruise to a 6-1 on the opening Day of the Scottish Division 2 Season.

they proudly sit on top of the Table........... :cool:

If the russians want him bad enough they'll pay the 25 or 30 million quid or whatever it is.

And they can't say he's over priced. He's arguably the best player in the world at his position or top 2 or 3 at the worst. If they're willing to pay 21 mil for SWP and leave him on the bench as well as 24 for Dogma, and 20 odd some million for Essien, surely they can't argue that they wouldn't pay 25 mil for him. In fact at 25 mil he looks like a friggin' bargain compared to the SWP deal as he's not even a starter.

Reports are we are interested in Gallas and if we get him in a deal with them, I won't be unhappy about it as we neeed a CB but I'd rather have obi Mikel, the center mid teenager. Under Wenger's tutelege the boy will be class. I was really impressed with him at the youth championships a year ago.

The MLS all stars from our domestic league showed how its done and beat the russians 1-0 :D

Seems like man poo are so desperate for silverware even preseason tournaments that mean nothing are now regarded as silverware. Arsenal won the same preseason tournament last summer but you heard nary a mention of it as some sort of trophy. The tournament was regarded as good way to prepare for the season, no more no less. We played a reserve side for the most part. But when the trophies are dried up for some you take what you can get like the Ajax preseason tourney and the highly (dis)regarded league cup...did someone mention mickey mouse and cup in the same sentence? hehehehe

Even sperz players are taking a shot, Berbatov turned down a chance to play for the red third of Manchester so he can come to North London and watch from down seven sisters road how sexy footie is played.

Zaad, you must be glad of the O'Neil signing. I hope he doesn't get it sorted by the first match. We have you guys at home and I would like christen the first league match at Ashburton Grove with a win.

I'm going to be very curious to see how Mourinho tries to make a team of it and how Ballack and Lampard play together.

Great speech CS> Got me looking forward to the footy season. I think Wengers team will do it sooner or later. Arsenal are building a team for the future,like Man Utd. When Mourinho gets bored or leaves for Portugal and the Oligarch pulls out Chelsea will be in trouble. They are speanding 31 million on aplayer who is 30. Utd are spending 18 million on a young player for the future. Chelsea are very short term. Don't like anything they stand for. Hopefully the cheating won't be as bad this year. They are the team to beat but al it takes is some bad luck which they haven't had yet and the confidence could go.

further to my earlier question about Cole.

found this.........

Transfers - August 2006

Clubs have until midnight on Wednesday 2 August to sign players for the Champions League qualifying round

For all other competions, the transfer window closes on midnight on Thursday 31 August

i don't know wether this means that Cole could play next Week and still be eligable for Chelsea (or anyone else) in the Group Stages.

or wether he or anyone else would be banned from the Group Stages.

seems a bit confusing to me.

I get amazed at the comments about Liverpool, they beat us in two semi's, sure, but challenging for the league....dont make me laugh.....at the moment they are a good cup side (they'll probably beat us next sunday) but they are not consistant......Chelseas biggest threat is by far United and if the gooners get their act together then they could be up there.....

chelsea fan I went on to say its yours to lose. I think Liverpool can make it interesting till April. By interesting, I'm thinking about 7 points behind where a slip up by you guys may put some added pressure on you. You guys have not had a close contested title late in the season. Trust me, the players don't play the same. Us and Man Yoo have had it and its very dicey. Sometimes players panic a bit if the match is still drawn after an hour. Or they start the match attacking too much so they can kill the match off or start off playing a bit too tightly wound.

Liverpool finished onlyh a point behind Man Yoo last season and finished strong and closed the gap on them, when it looked like man yoo were comfortably runner up. LFC had 2 glaring weaknesses last season. Lack of quality up front and someone on the right wing. Bellamy is a huge addition. If Fowler stays healthy he adds much needed finishing in front of the goal. Pennant is a prat as you all say but he's a good player. Has pass, can cross well too. I still think they need a back up left winger in addition to Kewell but they are looking stronger because they've addressed their weaknesses. Man Yoo and Arsenal have not totally done that.

I am not sure if Man Yoo will be the challengers...especially if they don't replace RVN with a top striker. RVN provied them 20+ league goals the past few seasons. How will they replace those goals? Rooney, OGS, Saha, Rossi? Man Yoo scored 72 goals last season. Not sure if all 4 of them can add up to that total sans RVN. Its possible they will compete as you can never count them out but i'm not so sure. Ronaldo is unsettled and they'll never see 38 matches from the oft injured Giggs and Scholes, 30 if they're lucky. Carrick is injured already.

We're the least likely to compete but I don't see us going 2 years running doing so badly. The mentality we're starting this season with is totally different than the one we started last. Getting to the CL final has done lots for the confidence. Last season, Henry's head was not in it, and as captain we suffered away from Highbury due to lack of leadership from him and all the seniors. We've spent a season without Viera and have the confidence we can beat anyone now having knocked out Juve and Real Madrid and being unlucky v. Barca. I think you'll see a different, more confident Arsenal.

But its still your title as far as I can tell. I just have the gut feeling you won't be as fortunate, maybe its more wishful thinking than anything else.

Archived