Quiet here

Yehtmae

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"KS can you rig it so we can pick our own personal skin, Nanaplaza or Thai360."

Yeah, I think so. I'll have a look, but it might take a few days. Busy at work and will not be around this weekend.

Would just a new header (i.e. the Nana header) do? And perhaps some of the colors? A full skin including all the buttons would be quite a bit of work.

Sanuk!

Here's a typical try using the board:

0. Sometimes I get a TCP error hitting the page; I think this is true's problem since it happens on other sites at times, but yet this board seems the most sensitive to it by far.

1. So maybe the second try I wait for the recent posts page, it loads but its old data; never had this problem with the old board

2. I have to now refresh the page manually, wait again

3. Now I see a list of posts chopped in little cells often 2 or 3 rows long that is hard to scan due to these line breaks and other clutter

4. Like the old board, the posts listed are often the same subject over and over again so I have to keep scanning past subjects I don't care about and because of all the repetition. Sometimes two people chit chatting takes up all the slots. I really need to go to the next page of them which I canâ??t be bothered to do by this time so end up missing a lot of activity that would otherwise be of interest.

5. If I click one of the posts to look at it, it only shows that particular post and no others.

6. So I have to click view entire thread and wait all over again.

7. Unless I have my browser >1000 pixels wide I have horizontal scroll bars and can't read a paragraph without scrolling back and forth, back and forth. A big reason for this problem is there is a 300 pixel indentation to the data due to a lot of fluff in the margin. And in these figures I am not even including IE's favorites pane which makes it all even worse. It's like half my screen is margin.

For me, it is just one weary nuisance after the next and there are others like the button bar (eg: MAIN/FORUMS) invites me to click by turning a gold color when I hover the mouse to it, but it doesn't work. Psyche! I have to reposition the mouse to a precise spot over text for the button to work. The shout box is so badly clipped I don't bother trying to make anything out. And so on.

Organization wise, things seem scattered and buried all over the place. I always thought the core strength of the message board was nightlife, but it seems to get lost among the myriad of other things now. I canâ??t put my finger on exactly why.

Again, just my 2 cents. I am sure others like it just this way.

Fuck guys sorry but you're all talking about colors as if you were a bunch of ladies :)

Sarcasm aside, it took me a while getting used to as well, but that's a good sign IMO. It means the old board meant something to us regardless the atmosphere between the new walls. No major differences occured so I'm sure you will feel at home as you did with Nana , it just takes longer than others which is a natural thing.

See it as a big happy family moving to a bigger home, takes getting used to more than others but in the end they're all better off and happier than ever (Christ, this last paragraph gave me watery eyes..or maybe it's the humidity around here)

1. So maybe the second try I wait for the recent posts page, it loads but its old data; never had this problem with the old board

2. I have to now refresh the page manually, wait again

Organization wise, things seem scattered and buried all over the place. I always thought the core strength of the message board was nightlife, but it seems to get lost among the myriad of other things now. I canâ??t put my finger on exactly why.

I agree 1,000% with the two above points.

The latter I think tho' is just caused by the new format and will ease with usage.

But the former is *really* annoying! And I'll add that some forums do not seem to update for hours, while others are OK with the first refresh.

Cheers,

SD

There are a lot of other boards on the web now that center on Thailand nightlife, especially Pattaya, and there are some specialized Cambodia boards as well. Back in the Delphi days, this was one of the few Thailand nightlife boards online. Now this board has adopted a more general approach and has a lot of posters interested in things like Thai culture as opposed to nightlife. The reason is partly evolution with more and more new posters who are more interested in other things about Thailand besides nightlife and partly political correctness which has run off a few posters. I still do like to log in from time to time to read Prosal's South American reports and Chocolate Steve's football reports among other things. Don't mean to be so brutally honest, but feedback is important, and I'm just giving my 2 satangs worth. :beer:

Hi,

First of all, thanks for the detailed list.

"1. So maybe the second try I wait for the recent posts page, it loads but its old data; never had this problem with the old board"

I think this too is a True problem in that it caches. Not sure what to do about this as the code already has the tags that should prevent this.

I'll see if the guys on the dev board have any ideas.

"4. Like the old board, the posts listed are often the same subject over and over again so I have to keep scanning past subjects I don't care about and because of all the repetition. Sometimes two people chit chatting takes up all the slots. I really need to go to the next page of them which I canâ??t be bothered to do by this time so end up missing a lot of activity that would otherwise be of interest."

Have you tried Active Topics, rather than Recent Posts? That one just lists the threads with new posts, rather than all the new posts. Clicking a topic will take you to the first unread posts in the thread.

"7. Unless I have my browser >1000 pixels wide I have horizontal scroll bars and can't read a paragraph without scrolling back and forth, back and forth."

Looking at the board stats, less than 8% has a resolution set to lower than 1024x768. I therefore made a call to base the design on 1024x768. The sidebar is necessary for advertisement without which this board can not survive. Please do not take this the wrong way, but Board Sponsors can turn the sidebar off, which may be the answer to your problem here.

"For me, it is just one weary nuisance after the next and there are others like the button bar (eg: MAIN/FORUMS) invites me to click by turning a gold color when I hover the mouse to it, but it doesn't work"

???? Not sure what you mean here. The buttons all work fine for me. What browser are you using?

"Organization wise, things seem scattered and buried all over the place. I always thought the core strength of the message board was nightlife, but it seems to get lost among the myriad of other things now. I canâ??t put my finger on exactly why."

Most of the forums are exactly where they used to be. Nightlife still has its own category, which I thought was quite clearly visible.

Anyway, once again, thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your grievance. Hopefully my answers have helped.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Hmmm, I just had a thought about the caching and am wondering if people outside of Thailand are also experiencing this?

If they are not, then could it be that True has their servers set to Thai time? If so, that would mean that this line

would tell the server that the file is about 500+ years old and that there is no reason to get a newer version.

Edit: I've taken out that line as a test. Please let me know if this makes any difference.

Sanuk!

Archived