hierarchy of farang asshole activity

preahko

I don't see anything arsehole at all about 1, 2 or 3. 1 and 2 might make you look a bit silly, but that's about the worst of it. And I probably wouldn't get the shirt since yellow isn't a good color on me and I think the custom was really meant for Thais, but I might do it in some situations as I like and have a lot of respect for the man and what he has done.

My definition of a farang arsehole is one who come to LOS to enjoy its many benefits and at the same time insults, disrespects and shows contempt for his hosts and their customs.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you.

Not too long ago, a farang was passed out (from booze) on the side walk neas sukumvit Soi 8. This was around 4:00 PM in the afternoon! He didn't have his shirt on nor his 'flip flops'. Thais were stopping and just stared at this fucked up. I can just imagine what they were thinking. At the same time, another fucked up farang, drunk, walked out in front of the traffic not knowing there were cars there.

So you believe that most Thais are not capable of having deep and meaningful conversations' date=' is that correct?[/quote']

My experiences make me sure of the fact that most Thais are not capable and/or interested in having deep and meaningful conversations.

So, now that I have answered this question which already had a clear answer, what about you answering mine?

How could you possibly know he wasn't simply telling you a fundamental reality since YOU were the non-Thai-speaking one?

Actually this is the first time you stated your opinion about Thai people's conversational ability/interest directly, though I agree you implied it.

My experience differs. I find Thais in general to be interesting, intelligent and well spoken.

I guessed at the time the gentleman who stated Thai people had nothing interesting to say was wrong and that he was the person who had little to say. In my many years of living here since then, I have not changed that opinion.

I only wai my GFs parents and grandparents' date=' as it is expected and they wouldn't be happy if i didn't.

I don't understand why some get so freaked out about this. Really, who cares?[/quote']

The Thai people!

Oh dear, you appear to have completely misunderstood what i meant...not to worry.

If you spend all your time hanging around with Issan Ho's I can certainly see why you would develop this opinion.

Totally disagree - I've spent time with all 'levels' of Thai society, and it's the Isaan ho's that have been the most interesting to me. The other Thais that I consider my friends can be counted on one hand (and not using my thumb or index finger), and as someone else posted, they are all considered very un-Thai. Thais are probably perfectly intelligent, complex individuals on the inside, but they certainly don't make a habit of sharing any of that with outsiders like me.

YimSiam

Actually this is the first time you stated your opinion about Thai people's conversational ability/interest directly, though I agree you implied it.

Sorry, didn't realize "In my years in LOS I managed to have very few really deep and really meaningful conversations with the locals (of course when there wasn't any significant language barrier anymore)." was too subtle...

My experience differs.

Never had any doubt about that. You know, I'm good at reading the "subtleties"... :)

I find Thais in general to be interesting, intelligent and well spoken.

Would absolutely LOVE to hear the interesting, intelligent, deep and meaningful conversations you are having with the average Somchai! :spin:

I guessed at the time the gentleman who stated Thai people had nothing interesting to say was wrong and that he was the person who had little to say.

And here lies the whole point.

He was a Thai-speaking long resident who was talking about something he had a long experience on and actual knowledge of, you were a non-Thai-speaking newbie who was just "GUESSING"...

I haven't (twice) asked you about your opinion (which to me was very clear from the start), I just wanted to point out to you the incredible intellectual arrogance of basing your judgment of that fellow's actual experiences on a uneducated GUESS and, on the same "basis", even giving an opinion on the man himself...

That's all. No big deal, I realize.

It's just that uneducated guessworking daydreamers defending the Thais "no matter what" annoy me greatly.

Archived