hierarchy of farang asshole activity

preahko

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still remember a guy I met when I was first in Thailand. When I admiringly remarked on how well he spoke Thai, he said "Don't bother learning, they never say anything worth listening to anyway." His remark told me a lot more about him than about Thai people.

Besides this banal and much abused catch phrase designed to cover one's lack of argument, may you tell me how could you possibly know he wasn't simply telling you a fundamental reality since (unless I have missed something) YOU were the non-Thai-speaking one..?

In my years in LOS I managed to have very few really deep and really meaningful conversations with the locals (of course when there wasn't any significant language barrier anymore).

All of them were (and were recognized by others as) very "un-Thai".

All 4 of them.

Who are the Thais that wai'd the server, hostess? Poor people background? If not was it a rcih person returning a wai? Who started it?

Humble Issaarn people, in Issaarn. The Hostess waid first, then my friend's wife wai'd back...as did other Thais...in one case they may have know each other socially...in other cases, they were compleate strangers...

You prove my point, it's the little poor people who wai first, if their lucky someone wealthier/higher socially will wai back.

And for all the talk I've heard of Thais laughing at farangs wai'ing wrong, I think that is all about the farang wanting to pretend how cool he is. I know someone who wais absolutely everyone, I've tried to stop him, he's a CEO, but he loves doing it, and the THais while they giggle, they also enjoy his attempts at local customs.

DOG

Right, the "lower status" is supposed to wai first. My teacher said it gets really odd/confusing as to who should wai who back...But as I said, I've seen Thais wai service people. Hell, the "High so" Thai girl that was my neighbor even waid the auto mechanic...of course she wanted her car fixed in a hurry...

MooNoi,

Last year the yellow shirts were for the King's Jubilee - this year it is for his 80th Birthday on Dec 5th - so you have a whole year of it to go.

Cheers!

:confused::banghead:

Just great! Bet it won't stop on 31/12/07 (or 12/31/07, or 31/12/50 depending on where you're from!)

Might just gain those extra few brownie points for wearing into and beyond '09...

80th birthday eh? Hmmm... maybe it... actually, better not. :closemouth::cover:

Archived