Mike's Diner

Somewhat related, but off topic ... why is Thai beef so lousy? Seems like, from talking to the lasses, many thai farmers raise cows for beef. Maybe it is what they eat (rice stalks?)? Hard to beleive it is the climate, as hot, crappy Texas is certainly know for cattle ranching.

You'd think some enterprising Thai farmers (oxymoron?) would try to raise the equivalent of good US/Aussie beef, or even Kobe beef and make a few extra baht.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to rchapstick

You'd think some enterprising Thai farmers (oxymoron?) would try to raise the equivalent of good US/Aussie beef, or even Kobe beef and make a few extra baht.

Thailand has around six million beef cows but the Government says that simply isn't enough. It wants to beef up the industry by setting up a lending scheme where one million calves would be imported and given to needy farmers for three years, free of charge.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2004/s1146134.htm

This article was written in 2004, but since then there has been a "free trade" agreement between Thailand and Australia and a lot of earlier Australian Government involvement $$$$ with trying to improve stock quality and conditions over the years. Basically would say that the food-stocks for the cattle is shit in Thailand so the local meat tastes like crap. They do import a lot of NZ meats (beef, lamb, etc), but suspect that this is not used in the local hamburgers......ever heard of (noo dum)..black field mouse - hehehehe

It wants to beef up the industry

Great Pun, Not sure if it was intentional.

Personally I would not go out of my way to find a specific burger bar. A bar is where one partakes in drinking, and when one gets the munchies and needs something more substantial than peanuts any burger usually fills the void.

Disclaimer:

I only drink in bars with good food.

So where do you get the best burger in Bangkok? Is it at the Tavern in Sukh soi 4, or are there any other contenders?

Tenderloins on Suk soi 33, (the new, but same owner) Woodstock on Thonglor 13 are both excellent in my opinion.

Tenderloins also serves it Aussie style with beetroot (I'm sure they'd put a fried egg on it too if you asked nicely)...and most soi 33 bars will go fetch a burger from there, so you can eat in the fine company of pretty young things in frocks!

Cheers,

SD

I am impressed by size and Tenderloin on Soi 33 has a gigantic burger, the biggest I have seen in Bangkok in fact. But it's also perhaps the most expensive in town at 350 baht plus really high drink prices. It's an upscale place with nice atmosphere so just depends what you want.

Woodstock, I loved that place when it was in Nana and great burgers there but the new location is just too far from the action to be worth the trip for me.

Big Mango and Steak One (in and past Nana plaza respectively) are favorites of mine and priced well for what you get. First I've heard of the Tavern, sounds impressive and will give that a whirl sometime.

Archived