No longer Gullivers, we now meet at . . . . .

CTO

It was Nervous_Dog who suggested Down Under and other than being of the same nationality as the owner I doubt there is any connection.

I thought it was another Aussie joker that suggested the move....

But then again...they all look the same to me... :rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Cheers DC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 - For a very long time, over 6 months now, people who came regularly have no longer been showing up, when asked, they all said they didn't like going to Gullivers for a number of reasons.

Even KS id no longer a 100% guarantee,

2 - From these discussions at Gullivers, i.e. the people who did go there, as well as other ex-regulars, the suggestion to move was discussed and agreed it would be a good idea.

3 - This board isn't a democracy, if KS says tonight, all meetings now at Dutch Embassy on Wireless Road, that's where they'll be, if no one shows up of course . . . .

4 - SOOOOOO I (CTO, not ND) asked a very of the ex members and the name Down Under bar was a frequent suggestion.

I have NOT even been there yet myself! There is NO connection between the Down Under bar and ex-Gulliver regulars, no idea who owns it, I doubt he reads this board, he may not be Aussie, OUtback Steakhouses are 100% USA owned!

5 - No conspiracy, no sudden move, no ram roadding this down peoples throats, but making the decision in the open where everyone can discuss,

6 - This has to take 2 weeks to decide?

7 - Fark this whiny attitude, I'm taking KS's advice, this Friday meet at Old Dutch, following Friday Down Under bar, my thinking is those who go can decide which is better. Those who never go, why do you care?

Coz I'm a kiwi, there's a bar in Soi 8 about 20 metres in on the left owned by a Kiwi (Soi 8 Pub?), just a short staggger to Nana BTS (elevator up to platform) but I am not promoting this, coz as others say, I'm there so rarely that the regulars should decide on the venue. Just mentioning it as it is easy to get to, big enough for the meetings, good food, beaut brekkie, and not associated with a nightlife area. Lolitas is though, about 30 steps away.

Just a suggestion, up to you.

Cheers

Coss

I've got to point out that Gulliver's has been a pretty good place to meet. They have been very nice about reserving out tables for us, even though some nights, the turn-out was abysmal. The atmosphere and seating arrangement at Gulliver's is conducive to conversation, the prices are reasonable, the food is good, the beer is fresh, and generally, the service is pretty good.

I agree that they reserve tables and the seating arrangement is conducive to conversation. But that's about it. Fresh beer? C'mon man, yer grasping at straws.

The food is bloody awful. I've twice tried to eat there and left half my meal. And anyone who knows me (or sees me) knows that is not something I do on a regular basis LOL!

I (and others I have been with) have been more than once rudely accosted by overzealous service/security staff telling me I could not bring in stuff I was carrying (e.g., a bottle of wine for dinner later; or something I brought from abroad to give to someone else). Not sure exactly what I was supposed to do with it as they have no area to put it. I guess just throw it away if I wanted to come in. Fat chance; I left. I do not need that crap in a city of 10,000,000 bars. So ya, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder for Gullible's.

I'd vote for "anyplace but Gullible's." The Down Under is a nice clean place with some atmosphere and good food (Thai menu also, which is important IMHO for the SOs we may bring along). But I ain't married to it. Suggest away.

Regards,

SD

I'd once done some grocery shopping on my way to a Friday gathering. Pissed me off that I wasn't allowed to bring my groceries into Gullible's! Did they think I was going to sit there and have a picnic? They did have some shelves by the door to leave things, though I still thought it was a bit much. Another time a friend had brought me a couple of bottles of wine. Yep, I had to leave them at the door and hope they didn't get pilfered.

But how do we know the others will let you bring things inside?

With you 100% on this one Tiger.

Remember the night I arrived from Amsterdam with bags of treats for KS....the bouncers wouldn't let us in...WTF!!!!

We had to sneak in through the side door, contantly looking over our shoulders to see if we were gunna be "bounced"

I'm also with CTO 100%....

Why is it around here, that every time someone tries to suggest something positive....they get jumped on by people who never (or rarely) even participate anyway....

Fcuk the polls....the location should be decided by those who regularly attend...(with the blessing of KS of course)

Then "Blow ins"...me included ...can make an effort to get there...or not....up to them!!!

CTO, I share your obvious frustration....dunno why you put in so much effort, when the only thanks you get is farkn "whiney criticisms"

Keep up the good work...I'll reward you with some Diet Twisties soon

Cheers DC

But how do we know the others will let you bring things inside?

I've never had that problem anywhere else. Have you?

Cheers' date='

SD[/quote']

Not that I can recall. The policy seems to have started at Gullible's after the fears of bombings when Mr T kicked up the hornet's nest in Yala and Pattani. I still find it quite irritating.

Archived