I did not see this reported on in the US! (Obama)

TheCorinthian

To me, opinions are NOT a right, but a privilege, and you earn that privilege by being able to support your position, and discuss it. Other wise you are just some fool running his mouth. I mean if you want to fall back on "it' my right to this opinion and I don't have to tell you why..." that is just lame.

If you can't explain why, then you don't know why, and if you don't know why, then you are a fool, plain and simple. Add to that the name calling etc, and the arrogant dismals, and unwillingness to support your position, and well...

I could really care less if a person agrees with me or not, but for the purposes of debate and discussion, one should at least be able to answer simple questions and not resort to the dismissals and insults that seem to flourish here from a certain poster.

He's certainly improved the standard of posting on this board; I can't recall ever seeing the spelling and grammar so correct.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

out of interest Steve,what should someone of your colour be addressed as in the US?.

here in the UK i work with many Africans and i would never dream of addressing them as Black,i would get in too much trouble.

coloured is the preffered term.......

out of interest Steve,what should someone of your colour be addressed as in the US?.

here in the UK i work with many Africans and i would never dream of addressing them as Black,i would get in too much trouble.

coloured is the preffered term.......

African-American if he's an American black Black for all non American blacks if its obvious they are not American, however American blacks can be called 'black' as well. In fact I can't think of anything else that wouldn't wouldn't get you in trouble.

I hear guys at the pub use the British term and I think 'you must be new to the states or don't know any blacks'. haha

I've heard the term Afro-Caribbean in England for the blacks from the west indies. We don't have that term in America, they are just called west indians, caribbean or by their individual countries (Jamaican, Trinidadian). Africans are called African or their individual country if you know it (Nigerian, etc.).

However, NEVER call a black guy from a spanish speaking country in the caribbean, central or south American 'black'. He's latino, south American or 'Puerto Rican', 'Dominican', 'Columbian', 'Brazilian', etc.

Usually all these are for first generation. Their kids who are born and raised here don't mind the term 'black' but once you know them they will say their country of origin.

Jesse Jackson is the first one I recall saying African-American. When I was a kid, "black" was sort of insulting. You called people colored. That went out, probably because of the signs on segregated restrooms and drinking fountains. Even now I will never refer to a person as a "black" or a "white". To me that sounds very insulting. I'm a human, not a colour! There are white people, black people, brown people etc. But saying I'm a "white" doesn't sound much different from calling me a honkie or "Chuck".

If you can't explain why' date=' then you don't know why... [/quote']

Sort of like you explaining why Stowe's depiction of Uncle Tom was belittling. Nice job there.

Twas you who missed the point there dude...BTW, ever going to answer my on going question? I mean how hard is it for you to back up your position on participating or not in the military?

I was about to post about how the term African-American became widely used and it was Jesse Jackson. He held a press conference that he prefers the term and the media deemed him the spokesman for all blacks.

I and I would guess the vast majority of blacks didn't use the term and a good percentage never heard of it before he used it. I never got a vote, I can tell ya.

The media has always been scared of Jesse Jackson (as well as Al Sharpton and a few others so called 'leaders'). So, when he pronounced it it was like Pharoah..."so it shall be written, so it shall be done..."

Archived