I did not see this reported on in the US! (Obama)

TheCorinthian

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, definitely, but a hard call with an all volunteer army. But, if you are indeed one who believes the cause is right and just, and you support your president, and fancy yourself a patriot, then why not join up and go fight? A very simple question really.

"I enlisted to defend my country' date=' not to be the world's police force."

[/quote']

The lines have got a little blurred recently don't you think flash?

Clinton sent the US military into more country than any prez since FDR in WWII. But GWB takes the cake with Iraq. It will be hard for anyone to top that titanic eff up. :(

out of interest Steve' date='what should someone of your colour be addressed as in the US?.

here in the UK i work with many Africans and i would never dream of addressing them as Black,i would get in too much trouble.

coloured is the preffered term.......[/quote']

Why don't you just use their first names ?

good question and worthy of an answer from another person who cannot speak the Qeeen's English..... :cover::mooning:

people i know is easy,1st name terms are always used.

but sometimes things are a little difficult.

but i can get phonecalls from people i have never met and probably never will.

over the phone it is usually easy to tell if the person is from Africa.

i'm not racist but their English language skills leave a lot to be desired and easy to tell apart from the Asians.

the Asians i deal with are not always the best English Speakers but their tone is very different and they do have better language skills.

but i have no idea if someone is from Hong Kong/Singapore or Kuwait/Iraq.

in response to CS and others i do when asked say that i have just spoken to an African or Asian person.

As a general rule, I don't mention a person's ethnicity unless its in context.

Generally speaking most of us can ascertain some people's ethnicity or whatever, from their accents. That in of itself is okay I think. I can usually tell a native African's accent, Indian, black american, latino, regionally such as Boston, New York, southerner, and distinguish between a region an accent. There is, at least to my ear, a difference between say an Italian, Jewish and Black New York accent. Tone, words, etc.

When calling a company about a problem and I said I spoke to someone before but didn't get a name when asked 'well, who did you speak to', I'll try to describe the person by their voice "He had a southern accent', 'He sounded black american', 'She had a deep southern accent'. 'She had an Indian accent'.

I got a new checking account recently at a bank near my new job to make it easy to get to and I was cashing one of my checks from work till my direct deposit was being set up. They said there would be a hold of a certain amount of days and I said that the person who set up my account said different. They said who did you speak to. The woman was Indian and the only way I could describe it was that 'she appeared to be an Indian woman'. The person said 'Oh, that was Mrs. Gupta....yadda, yadda'. Nohting uncomfortable or bad about it, sometimes we are left with an ethnicity or an accent.

things will obviously vary from Nation to Nation.

many people class Asians as anything from Pakistan to Japan etc,but their vocals are so different.

i work with one of the lovielist Women you could ever meet,from Hong Kong but her English is very bad.

but i've got used to it and can just about understand her.

and their lies a problem.

the majority of the people i deal with are elderly and many with hearing trouble and many have never really experienced a person from a foreign Country with a strange accent.

questions are asked by Doctors and Nurses and the patients just don't understand what is being said.

many times it's just the accent that confuses them...............

but then again have i have problem with UK regional accents.

i work with 3 Navy Girls from Scotland and easy to spot they are Scottish.

same accent to me but they say their accents are so different and an insult if they come from Glasgow and some one thinks they come from Edinburgh,sounds the same to me.

same as an accent from Aberdeen sounds the same as someone from Inverness.

Mr.Munchmaster will know what i mean.

but living on the South Coast of the UK and having 6 different Accents being thrown around it is hard.

from West to East it goes from very harsh to very soft.

i cannot understand a real Cornishman in the West but love the clipped tones of someone in Kent in the East.

i live in Hampshire(in the middle)and the accent can be hard to understand if from a real local.

and i cannot tell the difference between between Aussies and Kiwi's............

but then again thay are not that important..... :shakehead

Archived