I did not see this reported on in the US! (Obama)

TheCorinthian

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So since you are so sure you are right, I say we meet up tonight at the Sports Page bar, 106th and Foothill in Oakland. You can walk up to any of the brothers in that bar, and call them "Uncle Tom" and see what the hell happens, I dare you.

You are even worse than usual today, Hippie. Everyone knows that the term "Uncle Tom" is generally considered a pejorative; I acknowledged this explicitly in my first post on the subject. What you have failed to negotiate is my comparison of the perjorative sense of the term with the actual qualities of the character Uncle Tom as portrayed in Stowe's novel. However, I'm afraid that joining you and a bunch of hopped-up Oaktown homies will be of little assistance to your pursuit of literary understanding so I will regretfully decline your kind invitation.

However, I'm afraid that joining you and a bunch of hopped-up Oaktown homies will be of little assistance to your pursuit of literary understanding so I will regretfully decline your kind invitation.

Which, roughly translated, means, my mom has grounded me and in any case I would shit myself if I had to actually stand up and debate with a real life person. I'll just carry on sitting here in my sisters underwear and carry on posting thank you :wanker:

So since you are so sure you are right' date=' I say we meet up tonight at the Sports Page bar, 106th and Foothill in Oakland. You can walk up to any of the brothers in that bar, and call them "Uncle Tom" and see what the hell happens, I dare you. [/quote']

You are even worse than usual today, Hippie. Everyone knows that the term "Uncle Tom" is generally considered a pejorative; I acknowledged this explicitly in my first post on the subject. What you have failed to negotiate is my comparison of the perjorative sense of the term with the actual qualities of the character Uncle Tom as portrayed in Stowe's novel. However, I'm afraid that joining you and a bunch of hopped-up Oaktown homies will be of little assistance to your pursuit of literary understanding so I will regretfully decline your kind invitation.

More condescension RY....nice to see you managed to spell pejorative correctly once, out of the three times you've used it.

Why do you feel compelled to be so obnoxious? Why post here? Go and join the circle jerk with your zombie like buddies elsewhere, if we are beneath you. You clearly don't want anyone else's opinions.

To me, opinions are NOT a right, but a privilege, and you earn that privilege by being able to support your position, and discuss it. Other wise you are just some fool running his mouth. I mean if you want to fall back on "it' my right to this opinion and I don't have to tell you why..." that is just lame.

If you can't explain why, then you don't know why, and if you don't know why, then you are a fool, plain and simple. Add to that the name calling etc, and the arrogant dismals, and unwillingness to support your position, and well...

I could really care less if a person agrees with me or not, but for the purposes of debate and discussion, one should at least be able to answer simple questions and not resort to the dismissals and insults that seem to flourish here from a certain poster.

I forgot her name but if that Asian conservative chick in the pic SD posted gives me some head and some pussy, all is forgiven. :)

I have a good friend back east who is black and his name is Tom and he makes his nephews call him 'Uncle Tommy' instead of Uncle Tom...lol...

There are a lot of things that are the opposite of what they evolved into. Yankee Doodle Dandy is possibly one of them. Its a patriotic song (Connecticutt's state song I think). Comedian Robert Wuhl claims in an HBO show I saw that there was a club called the Macaroni club where all the gays and effeminate men hung out and they were called yankee doodles. Its a fact it was a derisive term by the Brit soldiers to the Americans during the war.

Anyway, Uncle Tom, whatever its origins is regarded negatively nowadays. My guess, but the European press gets a pass with some terms probably. If it was in an American paper it would be bigger news. I have to warn my British friends when they come to the U.S. not to say 'coloured' to the brothers..lol...acceptable in England but not in south Central. I dated a Kiwi law student here in LA who I had to remind not to describe blacks as 'dark' around blacks as well. Again, acceptable in NZ.

I was told once that I shouldn't refer to Asians as 'Oriental'. I was told 'rugs' are oriental, people aren't.

I'm one of the few blacks that never really liked the term African-American. Its fine to call me one, but I liked 'black'. Not because I'm old fashoned but it was a universal term that united the African diaspora in America. If you were black and of african descent from Lagos, Kingston, Sao Paolo, Harlem, Brixton, you were 'Black' and had a connection. Didn't matter if you got there by a slave ship or Delta Airlines. However, the term African-American is exclusive to American blacks. Blacks from outside the U.S. aren't called that, so it disconnects the bond. Just my opinion anyway.

My view is you tell me what you want to be called and as long as its not 'sugar' or 'handsome', I'll comply. :thumbup:

Archived