2008/2009 Football Season.

sayjann

Put the efforts into winning the 3 cups. The CC is winnable. Man Yoo is the only side left that can beat a full strength Arsenal side on their day. The squad needs silverware. Any silverware. The CC has been maligned but it was the first silverware Jose and Fergie got before winning their receent titles.

Would this be the 91-92 League Cup won after the 89-90 FA Cup and the 90-91 European Cup Winners Cup.

The Fizzy Drinks Trophy (or whatever it was called back then) was Fergies Third Trophy with United not his first, but who lets actual facts get in the way of a good winge!

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may be guilty of either being a bit too literal or not understanding the gist of the post Mekong. The key word in my post is 'recent' titles. Although admittedly I could have written it a bit clearer. I didn't think I had to. I'll remember next time though. :thumbup:

You may be guilty of either being a bit too literal or not understanding the gist of the post Mekong. The key word in my post is 'recent' titles. Although admittedly I could have written it a bit clearer. I didn't think I had to. I'll remember next time though. :thumbup:

i agree,the key word is recent.

what do you class as recent,2,5,10 Seasons?

Jose Moaner hasn't won any titles recently.....

but then again,more recently then Arsene Whinger...... :)

Well, another clue is the mention of Jose Mourinho. Since he came in the summer of 2004, the logical conclusion for most would suggest recent being since the 2004-2005.

As I said, it was the first trophy by both managers. Fergie in particular was under the gun and the CC was the only trophy he could win but I think it served as a catalyst for a title. The players got a taste of silverware and I think it helped them in pursuit of higher honors.

Steve,

You are still making incorrect statements, see what I posted previously which you totally ignored.

SAF's First Trophies with United :-

89-90 FA Cup

90-91 European Cup Winners Cup

91-92 League Cup (or CC Cup as it is sponsored now)

The "Game that Saved Fergie" was the 89-90 Third round FA Cup 1-0 victory away at Forest, the goal was scored by Mark Robins. United went on to win the FA Cup against Crystal Palace 1-0 in a replay after a 3-3 draw. Fergie blamed Jim Leighton for Palaces goals and replaced him with Les Sealey in the replay, Lee Martin scored the winner.

This victory meant that United qualified for the European Cup Winners Cup for the 90-91 season the first year that English clubs (except Liverpool) were re-admitted into European Competition and they went on to beat Barcelona 2-1 in the Final at Feijinoord Stadium in Rotterdam Mark Hughes scoring both United Goals. United lost the League Cup Final 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday. Also went on to defeat European Champions Red Star Belgrade 1-0 in the EUFA Super Cup.

91-92 United won the League Cup with a 1-0 Victory over Nottingham Forest and finished Runners up in the First Division to Leeds United.

92-93 was the first season of the Premiership and Fergies first of his (so far) ten Premier League titles ending a 26 year drought

As you can see the CC cup was not Fergies first trophy with United but his third** you stick to Arsenals history and let United fans educate you with ours ... I know it pisses on your argument but facts are facts.

** The reason I say third is because in the 91 European Supercup United had a 1-0 lead from the first leg at Old Trafford but the Second Leg in Belgrade was never played due to the war that kicked off in Yugoslavia at the time.

Who could Gallas be talking about here:

Gallas spills beans on bust-ups:

Arsenal's William Gallas has revealed a series of bust-ups within the squad in a misguided effort to deflect attention away from his captaincy.

Gallas has gone public on the frictions within the Arsenal squad after repeated criticism of his captaincy.

The Frenchman - who sat on the pitch sulking while the Gunners' season crumbled at Birmingham earlier this year - says that the players need to start fighting the opposition rather than each other.

He has revealed that one player insulted him during a match, though he refused to name names.

"When, as captain, some players come up to you and talk to you about a player...complaining about him... and then during the match you speak to this player and the player in question insults us," Gallas told AP. "There comes a time where we can no longer comprehend how this can happen.

"I am trying to defend myself a bit without giving names. Otherwise I'm taking it all (the blame). It's very frustrating," he said. "I'm 31, the player is six years younger than me."

He has also revealed a bust-up at half-time of the 4-4 draw with Spurs, saying: "There was a problem at half-time. The only thing that I could say at half-time was 'Guys, we resolve these problems after the match, not at half-time.'

"We have to understand that to be champions, you have to play big matches every weekend and fight. We are coming up against teams who are not scared to play football against us, who are not scared to take us on at our place, and this is becoming dangerous for Arsenal.

"We are not brave enough in battle. I think we need to be soldiers. We have to be warriors. There are teams who can do it well against us, and we have to be able to face up to these attacks."

So who is aged 25 in the Arsenal team? Van Persie would be my bet :thumbup:

However I think Arsenal should get themselves a new captain, whatever has gone on it should be dealt with behind closed doors, not in the newspapers :shakehead

Gallas has now been stripped of the captaincy and rightly so.

Question is, who should take over. There is no player that automatically springs to mind. Maybe Fabregas, maybe Adebayor.

I think this highlights Arsenals problem, no obvious leaders on the pitch, you can play all the pretty football you like but you need to have a leader when it gets tough.

Steve,

You are still making incorrect statements, see what I posted previously which you totally ignored.

Mekong, you are reading what I posted incorrectly. I am the newest one to the sport than anyone on this forum but its not brain surgery to know that Fergie has won several trophies before 2004.

Maybe I was unclear in how I wrote my post. My post was about Man Yoo winning the title in 2003 and the road to winning the title again in '07. Within that time they won a CC trophy (as well asn FA cup in '04). Same with Mourinho (with regards to winning a CC) and all I was trying to say was that Arsenal may well be served in going after that trophy as well to build some confidence and whet the the squads appetite for more.

I said 'Recent' since '04. I was clear about SINCE 2004. Bringing up what he or man yoo has won prior to that is IRRELEVENT with regards to the substantive portion of my post.

Archived