Why I'm Betting On Barack Obama's Victory

JayT

What could save Obama is the youth vote, assuming they get off their skateboards, pull their pants up, and make it to the polls. Otherwise, I'd say forget it.

that is true. lol

What I think is interesting, on CNBC's squawk box this past week they where talking about about the US markets starting to price-in an Obama victory because of the tax increases it is expected to bring. I know it has drawn a line for me between what I want to happen, and what will most likely happen and think about what, if anything I should do to protect my portfolio.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The situation is simple really...face facts, you are screwed! No matter who wins, sooner or later, this mess that is, is going to have to be dealt with. We borrowed how much from the Chinese? This war(s) are costing us how much? GWB wants another war in Iran? can we afford it? No.

So, in the end, how is this bill going to be paid off? How? Most likely, less services, and more taxes, that's how. Regardless of who promises what, or who is in office, the bill is going to have to be paid. Can you blame 1 party for inheriting another's debt?

Republicans spend then tax, democrats tax and spend...both suck, and both ways leave Americans fucked to pay a bill when in most cases, we got nothing for it.

I hate to admit it, but your right. With the nation dept and the trade imbalance the chickens will come home to roost and my generation and the ones after will be be left to pay for the excesses of the baby boomers. No argument here.

I've been watch Ted Koppels "The People Republic of Capitalism" this week on the Discovery channels this week, pretty scary.

The current thinking is that this is an opportune time to stick the USA public with a 'bankrupt' Social Security and Medicare program by by making it appear the programs are in default while in reality 50% of what gets paid out in benefits, etc. each month, gets dumped into the bottomless hole of the general fund.

What they are doing now is applying 'creative thinking' on how to get more money out of the USA public while at the same creating panic of a coming war with Iran.

Anybody know what the stock is now for KY?

The national polls are accurate but their only value is convincing voters in swing states one way or another.

The race is really about swing states. Texas will go Republican. California will go Democrat. Just like about 35 to 40 other states. Bush hardly campaigned in California because it was a waste of time and money and was done only to appease California republicans who insisted he at least made an appearance.

The article is good but is inaccurate about one thing. Although bi-racial, Obama is viewed as black as I am. At least to most voters. Although he has a Kenyan father, he's also viewed as possible having the same views on America's history with regards to slavery and Jim Crow as black Americans who have that in their ancestory.

That said, its likely he'll win but not close to being a guarantee based on the present. There are 4 long months to the election but if it was held right now he'd probably win.

The Republican 'brand' as they say is in very, very deep doo doo. Some Republicans acknowledge but few will discuss it publicly as if its some dark family secret and the brand is the mongoloid child they keep in the attic.

I personally like McCain and wouldn't have a problem voting for him in most cases. However, I feel as though if I vote for him I'm voting for the status quo Republicans. I feel like I'm voting for Bush, voting for continuation of war in Iraq. That I'm voting for the party that has given me near $5 a gallon gas. The party that has let the real estate market go to hell in a hand basket. It may not be right to associate McCaiin with all that but that's how I feel. I have voted for candidates of both parties. Not an issue for me. Even 3rd party is not an issue for me. I have an easier time voting for Obama for a few reasons. Amongst them is that from personal experience I dismiss the the Jeremiah Wright incident because I grew up in black churches. I have had ministers who I disagreed with on their personal politics but was an active member of the church. A non white Independent would put greater importance on that incident possibly because they would think it more likely Obama holds some of Wright's views.

He's smart as a whip and his organizational skills are exemplary. He's had the most organized campaign by far of all the candidates in the primary. That tells me a lot about him. Also, his appeal to all kinds of people, especially the young.

He will govern from the middle. It would have to be a landslide for him to see his ideology as a mandate. I think he'll win decisively but it won't be a landslide. The Democratic congress during Reagan's presidency went along with a lot of his stuff because it was a clear national mandate judging by the landslide he won by. Obama won't have that and he'll have to appeal to the middle and the right of center for re-election and he knows that. If he wins the election and gets re-elected, then we can see some things being proposed because he'll be working on his legacy. The president spends the first 4 years trying to get re-elected and the last 4 trying to get into the history books and leaving a legacy.

As far as taxes, its the congress that will have to approve everything and even with the Democrats getting more of a plurality the Republicans will have enough in both houses to stifle any tax increase that is too high by my tastes. At least that's what I envision will happen. Obama or McCain can't do much without congress, its just that plain and simple.

My guess is Obama will win and it won't be as close as everyone thinks but it won't be a landslide. There will have to be some new controversy for that to change. Polls show that a fair percentage of the electorate thinks he's moslem and a few other things that are totally untrue and he STILL leads in the polls, even if its slightly. I think that significance is downplayed. Being thought to be a moslem by faith in a post 911, war in Iraq America and STILL lead in polls?! Amaziing. That should be a death knell for any candidate. It may speak to either how much the Republicans are disliked possibly but no matter why its still profound. My thoughts have nothing to do with the fact I'll support him but just how I see how it will all work itself out.

This election, if there is one, should be interesting. If Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac get bailed out, the next domino to fall might not be the airlines but Genral Motors.

As the home market continues to flounder, foreclosures break new records, and the bankruptcy doors are worn too much from usage, we can only wait to see what will happen next. The rallying force might be from another Bin Laden video or some nasty happening in the Homeland.

Whoever becomes President, they will inherit one of the worst nightmares anybody can imagine.

Good reply cs :)

Sure Obama will be viewed as black by the average voter - all you need to do is look at him.

But, I would say the OP's second reason has more to do with Obama's own personal perspective, which motivates him and feeds his message of reconciliation, for example, thereby adding to his appeal to all kinds of people, as you have said.

And, I might add, I also think that the escalating Iranian issue will work to Obama's favor should the current level of rhetoric continue.

Ya can't make it up

At a press availability Sunday afternoon in San Diego, Senator Obama was asked, according to the diligent Maria Gavrilovic of CBS News: â??The upcoming issue of the New Yorker, the July 21st issue, has a picture of you, depicting you and your wife on the cover. Have you seen it? If not, I can show it to you on my computer. It shows your wife Michelle with an Afro and an AK 47 and the two of you doing the fist bump with you in a sort of turban-type thing on top. I wondered if youâ??ve seen it or if you want to see it or if you have a response to it?â?Â

Obama (shrugs incredulously): â??I have no response to that.â?Â

Priceless stage direction by Maria.

The magazine explains at the start of its news release previewing the issue: â??On the cover of the July 21, 2008, issue of the The New Yorker, in â??The Politics of Fear,â?? artist Barry Blitt satirizes the use of scare tactics and misinformation in the Presidential election to derail Barack Obamaâ??s campaign.â?Â

Iâ??m sure Senator Obama is oh-so appreciative for The New Yorkerâ??s help.

UPDATE -- Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton says: â??The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

UPDATE to the UPDATE -- McCain spokesman Tucker "Outward" Bounds quickly e-mailed: "We completely agree with the Obama campaign, itâ??s tasteless and offensive.â?Â

Jonathan Martin

The cover and the "controversy" regarding it are intended to smear conservatives and shield Obama from reasonable scrutiny. The article, however, reveals Barry to be a cynical and self-seeking Chicago politician of a very parochial sort. It is actually a quite useful piece of work for those paying attention.

Archived