John Edwards Admits Sexual Affair

rogueyam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You conveniently failed to even acknowledge the bit about McSame being a bigamist -- a far bigger story than the Edwards thing, but one the "liberal" media just swept under the rug...

This thread is about Edwards. If there is some news about McCain start a thread and if the news is interesting to me I'll comment on it.

What most here fail to understand is that this story is not about womanizing, it's about lying. John and Elizabeth Edwards both lied to their supporters, repeatedly and in a damaging and cynical way. Some people argue that the lies don't matter because they were "about sex" but that is nonsense. The lies were about trustworthiness and integrity. It is illogical to aver that all politicians are liars so it doesn't matter.

John Edwards' entire platform was that he was an honorable man standing up to the cynical and selfish on behalf of the downtrodden. His marriage and family were deliberately presented as proof of his higher motivations, his great decency and integrity. The Edwards knew at the time they made these claims that they were founded on quicksand and that the fate of their and their supporters' agenda would rest in the hands of whatever unknown people might be aware of the truth regarding John's infidelity.

Here is the take of an Edwards supporter posted on the leftist Huffington Post site:

"Just taking the Edwards current statements at their words, I am left with a very uncomfortable truth -- both John and Elizabeth Edwards cynically used their marriage as a means to help John Edwards win an election. Right now, they are hoping that the emotional goodwill that they built up from their supporters will carry them through.

"I'm sure I'll get some angry comments here but if you're an Edwards supporter, let me put this bluntly; if you gave John and Elizabeth Edwards time, money, support, or goodwill, they played you.

"They made a conscious decision to make their relationship a focus throughout the campaign. That emotional goodwill you feel for them? They not only let you feel, they took actions and made statements specifically so you would feel it.

"Then when the rumors first surfaced, they made the worst decision of all; they decided to lie about it and to keep lying about it for months. They lied in a way that made the people who were telling the truth look like the real liars. They lied in a way that turned their supporters into attack dogs. They only started to tell the truth when John Edwards was caught at the Beverly Hills Hilton and even now both John and Elizabeth Edward are calling the people who caught him the liars. That's the definition of shameless."

Link

It is a simple fact that getting caught having an extramarital affair is politically debilitating in the US. People have different opinions regarding whether this should be the case but everyone knows that it is the case.

Edwards is now saying that he had an affair and that his wife knew about it before the voting started in the Democratic primaries this past January. Where would their Party be right now if he was the nominee-in-waiting? What if he was the actual nominee and the story broke in October right before the election?

It is all well and good to say that he is out of the running now, but back in December and January the Edwards were enlisting volunteers, accepting contributions, and soliciting votes knowing that this timebomb was ticking away within their campaign. Thus they put themselves and their own ambition ahead of the interests of their party.

That is just plain sleazy whatever one thinks about extramarital affairs.

I'm aware of how an affair can be detrimental to a political career and I agree, based upon the timing, he was rather stupid and duplicitous, but I think "sleazy" is hyperbole. Selfish, sure, incredibly dumb, absolutely and deceptive, again I'd agree.

I look forward to witnessing your reaction to the next republican scandal.

What most here fail to understand is that this story is not about womanizing, it's about lying. John and Elizabeth Edwards both lied to their supporters, repeatedly and in a damaging and cynical way. Some people argue that the lies don't matter because they were "about sex" but that is nonsense. The lies were about trustworthiness and integrity. It is illogical to aver that all politicians are liars so it doesn't matter.

John Edwards' entire platform was that he was an honorable man standing up to the cynical and selfish on behalf of the downtrodden. His marriage and family were deliberately presented as proof of his higher motivations, his great decency and integrity. The Edwards knew at the time they made these claims that they were founded on quicksand and that the fate of their and their supporters' agenda would rest in the hands of whatever unknown people might be aware of the truth regarding John's infidelity.

Here is the take of an Edwards supporter posted on the leftist Huffington Post site:

"Just taking the Edwards current statements at their words, I am left with a very uncomfortable truth -- both John and Elizabeth Edwards cynically used their marriage as a means to help John Edwards win an election. Right now, they are hoping that the emotional goodwill that they built up from their supporters will carry them through.

"I'm sure I'll get some angry comments here but if you're an Edwards supporter, let me put this bluntly; if you gave John and Elizabeth Edwards time, money, support, or goodwill, they played you.

"They made a conscious decision to make their relationship a focus throughout the campaign. That emotional goodwill you feel for them? They not only let you feel, they took actions and made statements specifically so you would feel it.

"Then when the rumors first surfaced, they made the worst decision of all; they decided to lie about it and to keep lying about it for months. They lied in a way that made the people who were telling the truth look like the real liars. They lied in a way that turned their supporters into attack dogs. They only started to tell the truth when John Edwards was caught at the Beverly Hills Hilton and even now both John and Elizabeth Edward are calling the people who caught him the liars. That's the definition of shameless."

Link

I agree with this and your point. However, it is not such a wonderful thing to criticise others for a lack of integrity, when you display such a personality trait constantly on this forum. Hypocrisy is also considered a highly undesirable aspect to oneself. So, sure, accuse others of behaviour you yourself display constantly, but understand that you lose all credibility by doing so....and you make yourself an object of ridicule to boot!

Faustian -- wondering if RY cares what others think of him.

You conveniently failed to even acknowledge the bit about McSame being a bigamist -- a far bigger story than the Edwards thing' date=' but one the "liberal" media just swept under the rug...[/quote']

This thread is about Edwards. If there is some news about McCain start a thread and if the news is interesting to me I'll comment on it.

Obviously dreams of becoming a moderator here.

Rog is having trouble understanding that threads in forums that allow the full range of political beliefs to be discussed are at liberty to wander off topic without bannings and suspensions being handed out.

You conveniently failed to even acknowledge the bit about McSame being a bigamist -- a far bigger story than the Edwards thing' date=' but one the "liberal" media just swept under the rug...[/quote']

So in other words, only Democrats need live up to your high standards. GOPers get a free pass.

Just as I figured. Disingenuous as usual. You're a good sheeple RY. Now go get yer McCain swag 555555555 Funny that's how the Chinese spread their propaganda too. Nice to see the GOPers copying such a shining example of freedom :banghead:

Cheers,

SD

"...What most here fail to understand is that this story is not about womanizing, it's about lying..."

So what about all of Bush's lies?

The real truth here is we just don't really care if our politicians have extra marital affairs or not. It does not matter to us, as long as they do a good job running our states/counties/cities/country.

Clinton got his dick sucked, so what? I prospered quiet well during his run. I am having a shit time of it under GWB's run. If GWB getting his dick sucked would have prevented the mess he has caused, I would have paid for the whore personally.

You will never convince me, most of ALL politicians are not getting something on the side, or have their hands dirty with something else, AND lying about it! Just part of the make up. As long as the country runs, and I can make my way I don't care.

Archived