John Edwards Admits Sexual Affair

rogueyam

Yes, of course this is news.

Yes, he did a "bad" thing. Yes, a high number of other politicians have done the same (and probably even more on this board) but that doesn't justify anything.

In a vaccuum, yes this should be a family issue and it appears he told his wife long ago, and they dealt with it and moved on.

Of course, he lied about it. People are supposed to lie when they have an affair. The other option (apart from not doing it) is to abandon your family.

None of his actions truly change his good ideas and the improvements to this country they would have made.

Yes, personal items like these should have a much smaller influence than they do on political ambitions.

But they don't. And if he thought there was even the smallest chance somebody else would find out about it, he should not have ran for president. If he had been the nominee and it got out it would have hurt the country to elect another Republican. Or possibly opened him up to blackmail.

He shouldn't run. I still like him and his ideas. But he shouldn't have run. That was selfish and stupid.

(oh, if only the GOP'ers on this site could be so honest when one of their's does something wrong)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But he shouldn't have run. That was selfish and stupid.

This is the whole story here. He simply shouldn't have run. When he and his wife decided to run they at that moment decided as well to lie to their supporters and to falsely accuse those who told the truth of being liars. This was sleazy and wrong. It is very simple, really.

People are supposed to lie when they have an affair.

A simple "I don't comment on my personal life" would have done nicely.

None of his actions truly change his good ideas and the improvements to this country they would have made.

A president is more than ideas. He is the face of the country. A liar lacks credibility to his constituents and to the rest of the world. I had a favorable opinion of Edwards before this event. Now I can never trust him again. I don't care about the womanizing. I don't need someone who feels they need to lie to me to represent me.

And if he thought there was even the smallest chance somebody else would find out about it, he should not have ran for president.

He can do whatever he wants and his actions show this ruthless disregard. Remember Clinton did far "worse" and was elected twice.

(oh, if only the GOP'ers on this site could be so honest when one of their's does something wrong)

It's funny to see dems doing everything they can to look the other way rather than accept the Edwards issue. We are talking about JOHN EDWARDS THE LIAR in this thread.

Ted Haggard probably is the number one hypocrite. He preached about the evils of homosexuality while indulging in the forbidden fruit on the side.

People who go around preaching the wickedness of certain men, are people worthy of watching because they themselves generally practice the same shit as the one they are condemning.

Explain "looking the other way".

My entire post was the opposite of that. Something you don't see on the other side.

I will, however, add this. The sex scandals of Bill Clinton and John Edwards differ in a substantial way from the sex scandals of guys like Larry Craig and Eliot Spitzer in that the former two weren't actively creating laws and prosecuting people who were doing the same things they did.

Even more important, the scandals of all of these guys pale in comparison to scandals involving our current president who's activities have caused more death and misery than anyone beofre him. So if it seems like people are "looking the other way" it might merely be a case of putting things into perspective.

But, as I said before...what he did was selfish and stupid.

Basically, I assume the thinking is that if a politician will lie about an affair he is more than likely than others to lie about affairs of state. Also, he or she could be susceptible to extortion. The latter is serious enough and valid. The former is a legitimate concern as well but I personally don't take it as serious. It kinda depends on what I know about the guy.

I had a boss at a company I worked for about 10 years ago who was one of the best bosses I ever had. He took care of his employees. If he told you something it was done. The kind of guy that if he gave you his handshake he would die than break that agreement. He was head of the marketing department before and rose up the ranks because clients trusted his word as gospel. The guy, married, also banged some of the hottest poon within the company. Nearly broke up his marriage a couple times. Funny thing was we NEVER doubted his word when it related to work matters.

There are guys I've met on this forum and outside this forum that go to LOS, who are amogst the most honorable guys I know. I would take their word on some thing implicitly without question. A few are married and go to LOS and cheat on their wives.

MLK was known as a man of the highest integrity but banged the cutest female aides to the civil rights movement.

There is a lengthy article about McCain cheating on his first wife:

The wife U.S. Republican John McCain callously left behind

There seems to be a parallel between McCain and Edwards - Edwards cheating on his wife with cancer and McCain cheating on his crippled wife. And the it seems that especially the religious right, a powerful minority, is not very happy about this part of McCain's biography.

As others said before, these things happen.

If Obama would have such a dark spot in his biography I'm sure that McCain would include this in his campaign of character assassination.

There is a lengthy article about McCain cheating on his first wife:

The wife U.S. Republican John McCain callously left behind

There seems to be a parallel between McCain and Edwards - Edwards cheating on his wife with cancer and McCain cheating on his crippled wife. And the it seems that especially the religious right, a powerful minority, is not very happy about this part of McCain's biography.

As others said before, these things happen.

If Obama would have such a dark spot in his biography I'm sure that McCain would include this in his campaign of character assassination.

Just my guess but the religious right would forgive that IF John McCain was born again. Take from someone who grew up in the church. They will forgive just about ANYTHING, IF you're born again and one of the flock. Look at all the televangelists that cheated and are still supported. Its a bit of hypocracy but its how it is. McCain's problem is he made an enemy out of the relgious right during the primaries leading up to '00 and never made up with them till now. A little too little too late I think as far as the religious right is concerned. They simply don't trust McCain.

It's funny to see dems doing everything they can to look the other way rather than accept the Edwards issue. We are talking about JOHN EDWARDS THE LIAR in this thread.

It's more like John Edwards is a non-issue. Who cares about him now? He holds no office; hasn't since 2004. Why do you give a fuck? I fuck whores. How come that's not all over the newspapers? I am as much a part of US politics as John Edwards is. He's just another loser who wanted to be Prez and got his ass kicked.

Let's get back to office holders. BushCo (there's a bunch of them) lied, got us into a war, 100's of 1000's of people died, and our economy will not recover for a couple of generations if that fast. Why is it that Bush and his minions are NOT impeached???? Why are you not pissed at him, as you seem to be at Edwards? Is fucking worse than killing and looting? If so then, really, why are you posting on *this* board? Fucking hypocrite!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

SD

Ted Haggard probably is the number one hypocrite. He preached about the evils of homosexuality while indulging in the forbidden fruit on the side.

People who go around preaching the wickedness of certain men, are people worthy of watching because they themselves generally practice the same shit as the one they are condemning.

So you are basically saying RY is a liberal commie left winger? Hence he spends his time bashing other liberal commie left wingers to cover it up? I can see that now.

Archived