Innocent tourist Jailed for no reason

cheekyboy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

"charged with â??rude and aggressive behaviourâ?? towards an immigration officer"

So, can those officers be charged with â??rude and aggressive behaviourâ?? towards a traveler as well?

Some of those wankers can be bloody rude as well.

Agree with KS. This case is ridiculous, an absolute embarrassment to Thailand and further proof that many authorities here really don't have a clue.

''If you go to England and behave the way this man did, what would happen?'' Khun Suksopon asked. I doubt that they would lock you up for three weeks and charge you with a crime where you could serve two years in prison. If this happened in the U.S., the ACLU or some other civil rights group would file a lawsuit and the government would clearly be on the defensive. (Keep in mind, this guy hasn't been charged with anything else and there is absolutely no indication that he violated any other laws - he was, according to the authorities, simply rude.)

Yeah, perhaps he showed poor judgement (under apparant provocation), but three weeks in jail, having to stay here for trial and then a possible two year jail sentence? Come on...

Thailand is really developing a bad reputation. These authorities down in Phuket might be saving their own face, but they surely aren't doing any favors to Thailand. They're an embarrassment.

Were the Thai officials sitting him up for a shakedown?

Same thought occurred to me. This does happen here all of the time. A rude foreigner who made a fuss would be harder to shake down.

We'll never know, but the whole episode really makes Thailand look ridiculous.

This goes against the civil libertarian in me, but I would suggest that there be a cctv camera at these customs stations.

There is a lot of leeway and discretion that customs people have. They can do things that would be a violation of U.S. law once I made it past them.

After a long flight from Asia, I am usually at the airport for about 3 hours. I'm waved to the side as soon as I get out of the plane door. Asked for my passport and why I was there. I am usually told to 'go over that line please' as soon as I present my passport to the next person. At the end of these lines, I recall being told by this one latin woman who seems to find me on every trip and said bluntly 'where do you have the drugs?' I know someone else who has had said to them. I understand. Thailand and other countries in the mekong delta are 'source countries'. I'm there for a short trip.

I am a happy go lucky type of guy but after 3 hours and a 12 hour flight, I'm too tired for customs psyche games. I said to her in a stern voice, NOT yelling but stern. "Lady, I dont have or do drugs, okay?" She tells me to watch the tone and this, that and the other. I say "Lady, I've been in here for 3 hours. Surely you can understand my loss of patience especially since I just had a 12 hour flight'. She states she 'hold me for a certain number of hours at her discretion' I wish the exchange and the whole ordeal was videotaped frankly. After one sees the length of time I spent waiting in lines, no jury would convict me of my exchange. However, with just her word against mine, I wouldn't stand a chance.

If we had a video of the exchange of the person in question it would give us much more. We would know the extent and context of it all. We would know if the customs official was being vindictive for loss of face or whatever.

I absolutely agree that US authorities can and often are rude. But there is a world of difference between a three hour detention and three week detention in a Thai jail and a possible two year sentence for being "rude".

I think there should be CCTVs at US immigration. And if someone complains about an unwarranted three hour detention, I think they should have access to the footage and the ability to post it on the internet and present it to a jury. Although the law and order types would complain, it would seriously reduce the crap US immigration hands out.

Here, in Thailand, the problem is much deeper. These authorities actually think its reasonable to detain someone for three weeks, hold him to trial and then send him to prision for two years because he was rude to (an ever so powerful (in their own minds)) Thai authority. I am not sure how you fix that problem.

Archived