Innocent tourist Jailed for no reason

cheekyboy

Yep put him on the plane + persona non grata and that is all....

Arbitrary? Happens everywhere....Guantanamo for the US, Brazilian shot in the tube in UK, "illegal"/racist arrests here in Spain etc....

Still, he is lucky to have met not bright and cool Thai officials -> in some other countries (in the west) he could have been hit then arrested, thrown in jail and hav far more problems...

(taking into account he is black in such cases)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Security agents here do get away with worst than that...

Recent scandal here in Madrid as the local police was alleged to have "quotas" to respect regarding "illegal immigrants" arrests...

-> had an incident about a EU citizen (don't remember if he was blakc or yellow) who got arrested for an ID control -> as the stupid policemen couldn't understand what was written in his passport

-> they took him to the police station, as the expat knows the Spanish law he refused to go -> got arrested for resisting law agents etc...

This after a scandal about incidents involving security guards (plenty of them here, more than in BKK if it is possible) who thought they were "judge dredd" -> just beating people without any specific reasons excapt they looked "foreigners". (morons did that in front of security cameras)

No luck for these thugs -> some of these foreigners were not "illegal immigrants" but tourists....-> embasy -> protest -> government crackdown etc...

Yes, morons without a lot of intelligence (quite a few security guards and cops are not the brightest people on earth) -> have too much power

It may not be right (no argument from me), but it is what it is the world over. The exact same thing could happen in the US (I won't speak for other countries, but I believe they could as well). Immi Officers are the kings of their own little kingdom. You are in virtual no-man's land, between countries. And hence, little in the way of rights.

I cannot see someone facing a two prison sentence in the U.S. for something like this. But I can easily imagine U.S. authorities crossing the line if someone did this and agree that immigration officers and other officials often think they "are the kings of their own little kingdom." That's the bigger problem.

Fortunately, these little tyrants do get caught on video from time to time, and when they do, they are in a world of shit. That is why I like Chocolate Steve's (guarded) suggestion about the use of CCTVs.

It's all about accountability - if they know there is a CCTV watching their every move, they will are much more likely to act properly because they know they could be held accountable for what they do. It's all about accountability - here, in the U.S. and elsewhere.

I see a bigger need for the use of CCTVs and other measures to hold officials accountable in Thailand. Abuse of official power is a much bigger problem. Hence, you need to take stronger measures to hold officials accountable here.

He had his passport for nine years plus. Sometimes journalists cant help themselves.

I can see why it would be difficult to fit 100 plus people in a 126 X 52 cm space though.

Think that might have been for each prisoner.

Burrowes is 6ft 3" tall, and close to the open toilet so I guess people were pissing over him all the night too.

Maybe the other prisoners thought he was part Mexican? Peon.

He is not a victim' date=' he is paying the consequences of [b']his actions[/b], harsh as they may be.

TH

How might you react if you were put in the same situation?

I believe I have already answered that question, and with 2 passports at 60 pages each full of entries and exits from many countries around the world over the past 15 years or so, I think I have encountered just about anything an immigration officer can throw at me. Some how I have managed to stay out jail.

;)

TH

Archived