Innocent tourist Jailed for no reason

cheekyboy

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=15190

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being â??rudeâ?? to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowesâ?? passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: â??A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour,â? he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: â??Iâ??m a black man so Iâ??m used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this.â? For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

â??Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me,â? said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

â??I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didnâ??t really help me,â? he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with â??rude and aggressive behaviourâ?? towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

â??I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. Itâ??s turned into a nightmare,â? he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

â??If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. Itâ??s very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened,â? he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, this is a worthwhile action to have an action group formed - rather then that Harry chap.

Why would anyone think that consular staff are action men/women, more likely over paid fat cats sinking beers at any notorious BBK bar.

At the very least, I feel that the British Consulate has a lot of explaining to do.

Here is his FaceBook link. Apparently somewhat of a marital arts sorta guy. Sure doesn't seem like the sort that would pop off to an immigration offical. :nono: Wonder if there is actually a picture of him with his shirt on.

:dunno:

I'm sure there is more to the storey, and apparently there might be a audio tape of the confrontation.

TH

PS Check out his friend Natalie.... :hubba:

Something doesn't seem right. Has anyone ever been arrested for this reason before?

I just keep thinking there has to be more to the story than meets the eye.

Someone believes your passport is faked. You are detained. How long? Where? This is a bit scary.

I cannot see anything in my post that supports the Thai governments actions; on the contrary, I was suggesting that an action group should be formed in support of this chap!

My other comment was, this is a well deserved case to have an action group formed, unlike the alleged cause, that Harry was suppose to be demonstrating against (when his true motives were not so altruistic).

Two years may be the upper limit, and like many laws that are breached in Australia, the upper limit is very rarely imposed, if at all.

No, I don't support 2 years, and in fact, i think the officials have a lot of explaining to do, as with the British consulate. I have not got on the turps just yet, it was 7.30 am (Australia time) in the morning when I sent that post but I did not think my original post was that vague - maybe I need better glasses :)

Archived