Innocent tourist Jailed for no reason

cheekyboy

Hi,

"I cannot see anything in my post that supports the Thai governments actions; on the contrary, I was suggesting that an action group should be formed in support of this chap!"

Looks like you may have thought I was commenting on your post, I wasn't. My comments were on the original story.

Sanuk!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is certainly more to the story:

First, the sentence is very heavy.

Now there are a few things which don't sound right with the man:

. He states he came to learn about the culture but he obviously has not the slightest idea about the country (if the interview is to be believed)

-> "five years for having two spliffs"

. If "knows" the culture then he could have found/bought his way out without making a fuss and being jailed....(at least not for so long)

Seems that this man never read a tourist guide about LOS and drugs...

Now of course he might be just unlucky to be black and loving "Tiger Muay Thai & MMA Training Camp, Phuket, Thailand" (if the facebook link is his).

Until now the people I met who claimed loving LOS for Muay Thai -> were the same kind of people you meet here in Spain claiming to love boxing or whatever "martial art"....bunch of rude people.

Now if he is innocent then I wish him the best but I wouldn't stand up for him, far more many people worthy of a stand up.

What, another imposter seeking divine/judicial intervention because he has been wronged, wrongly? Possibly!

I have always found the customs and immigration staff at airports polite, disinterested and I assume, and if one was ever interrogated (I have never have been myself), it would be a short and simple process.

Maybe, our young English chap made a storm out of a teacup because he aggressively told them how they were suppose to do there jobs.

A link to article in the Puket Wan that tells a little bit more:

When the official started to ask questions, Burrowes became angry, Khun Suksopon said, and snatched back his passport. Burrowes then said ''F*** You'' and criticised Thailand in an offensive way, Khun Suksopon added.

I don't mean to defend what is being done to him, but I do know that if you snatch back your passport and say Fuck You to an immigration officer anywhere in the world, that a significant percentage of the time, you are going to pay a price.

I bet they will deport him shortly and he can go back to the UK and get on with his life. But somehow I doubt he will have learned the very important life lesson he was given the opportunity to learn.

TH

ozpharlap, you maybe misunderstood my post.

Yes, like many dumb tourists abroad it seems this man has a wrong idea about what exactly his embassy/consulate can do...

He seems to think they can "by God's grace" get him a "out of jail card" or whatever...

Which basically is wrong, even my embassy here (and the ambassador's son is a childhood friend) could just provide me with the legal assistance if I ever needed one...(and this is EU, not LOS)

The man, if the links are to be trusted, seems to be your average western tourist and not bright at all given his comments and hobbies.

If TH's link is accurate -> then it just adds some fuel to the "I am a dumb western tourist" act...

As an analogy, some months ago at Barajas security checks -> there was a dickhead obviously coming from North Africa who made a big fuss and started shouting at the security officers (from what I understood there was a problem with his luggage) -> some guardia civil officers promptly took him away...

Seeing the info we got until now, this is probably a young English like I see so many here in Spain who thinks he can tell fuck you to everyone....

Wait and see but I think it will be a "served him well" kind of ending....

Hi,

Agree that there is probably more to this, but even if he gave them a 'gobfull' that still does not warrant a jail sentence. If physically attacked them, fine, but as long as it was only verbal then the sentence is way too high.

After all, we've all dealt with officials who abuse their power, are obnoxious, etc.

Sanuk!

Archived