How to enjoy suk and not think you on Suk

AloyMak

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PM,

I don't notice it so much in the nightlife just general day to day. Where we live there are approx 250 apartments in 8 buildings and up until 2004 I was the only farang living here whereas today I am seeing farangs around here all the time. There is a serviced apartment complex nearby with over 280 rooms and that is probably over 75% farang occunpancy now.

Quite a few expats are now living in "The Lofts" on Soi Yenekart and the "TOPS" supermarket there was modernised last year and has a better selection of western food than it used to have and a higher proportion of farang shoppers. Definately expats since a lot of them drive there.

As the crow flies Tawandang Rama III is 4.65 KM from Sukhumvit / Asoke Junction and its 5.2 KM to drive it (thanks to Google Earth). Quite a lot of the Farangs who go to Tawandang are expats who happen to live in the area and not tourists. The number of farang expats living here has rocketed the past 4-5 years or so.

Wow - I guess the cab driver must have taken us via the 'scenic route' ;)

A lot of my confusion stems from the fact that the cab seemed to leave the highway, drive back *towards* Suk, then veer off and onto another section of highway from whence he would repeat the process again. Bangkok traffic still stuns me - I was so grateful just to get there that I didnt ask any questions.

There are two Tawandangs. If you got on an expressway (that is what you mean by highway?), you probably did not go to the one on Rama III. You probably went to the one out on Ram Intra, and not surprised you would get confused getting ther

The Thais call it 'highway', but its the same 'tollway' we all know and love. I used to call them 'expressways', but the 'express' part is too often a matter for debate these days. ;)

I can check with Crazypants, but I'm pretty confident that it was the Ram Intra version. That said, I get bored on the cab ride from Suk to Gazebo, so I may not be the best judge of distance in Bangkok ...

Moving back to Ari area where I lived for 7 years - 2000 saw a farang a month - 2005 - 2007 saw them semi regularly, now they are in every soi it seems!

Agree. When I first moved to my Thonglor 'hood (ten years ago!), I was pretty much the only farang, except for (former boardie) New Petchburi Pete, before he moved to Pattaya. Now when I go into that 'hood (don't live there now, but still have a condo there), you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a farang.

*Many* more farang living here now than even five years before.

Cheers,

SD

Archived