LOS Arrests Quality Tourist

shygye

Link

The Prime Minister says all available consular assistance is being provided to a Melbourne woman arrested in Thailand for allegedly stealing a bar mat.

"Annice Smoel is an innocent woman. She has not committed a crime, she did not place the bar mat in her bag, nor did she leave the premises of the bar with it in her bag.

"We take seriously that job. There are 1 million Australians at any one time officially working or travelling in hundreds of countries around the world," he said.

"Let all the facts be established first."

"I explained to them that I am innocent but they said that the Thai Government hasn't decided that yet. Until I've been to court I haven't been proven innocent,'' Ms Smoel said.

She now faces up to five years in jail and said she was scared she would not see her daughters - aged six, eight, 11 and 12 - for years.

"I get very scared when I see police. I'm just trying to keep it together, so I can get home," she said.

Thai police say she had stolen a bar mat and put it in her handbag.

Didn't do it

Ms Smoel told Radio 3AW this morning that she didn't do it.

She said a friend had confessed to police that she had done it and there was video evidence proving her innocence.

"There was video evidence in the bar. I was nowhere near the handbag," she said.

"One of the girls involved went down to the police station on Sunday morning and confessed to the crime and apologised and they [Thai police] told her to go away. They didn't care.

"Apparently the police have 48 days to investigate the crime.

"It's a just a really slow and crazy system." ...

Looks really crazy. just a mat, maybe more, we do not know. If the women is right, LOS is shooting in the legs, with whatever little tourist coming, they r just killing the tourism. If I was in her place, I would go thru the monwy house, come out and go back to OZ abd highlighted my "hell in LOS" to make sure that no women & families would travel to LOS.

Over yrs., of travel to Los I still try to figure out these guys, they have no clue what they are messing up with the Goose that is laying the Golden Egg... tourism.... I've seen the night life going down the drain where NEP, SCW and other tourist places shutting early, but all the Thai night life goes still sun rise.... what are they trying to get out of it...

cheers

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanna see photos before I make my judgment. If she and her friends are hot, they were obviously just having some fun and the thais are overreacting. If she and her friends are fat cows, they should throw the book at 'em.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

She behaved like a goose and deserves to be dealt with accordingly. I find th behaviour of most Aussie tourists appaulling....everywhere not just LOS

Cute Barmaid....maybe the owners daughter as she looks mixed.

thumb_1242781248-The_Mum.jpg thumb_1242781274-The_Mat.jpg thumb_1242781310-The_Bar.jpg

Does anyone know why it takes so long to get bail in Thailand?

It seems that any arrest, no matter how trivial it is, that it seems that you have to spend 2 days in the lock up before you can even get to court.

Why has no Thai media done an interview with the Thai prime minister an asked his opinion as to the ludicrous situation? Also, its potential devastating effects on tourism.

She behaved like a goose and deserves to be dealt with accordingly. I find th behaviour of most Aussie tourists appaulling....everywhere not just LOS

So, you agree that she should have paid a fine - like 5000 Baht - and the story would have been over, right?

Archived