LOS Arrests Quality Tourist

shygye

I was talking to somebody last night who had some wine in his luggage - he regularly does this (it is for his own use) but this time his case was x-rayed. He said most cases were being checked. His conclusion (and he has been here along time) was no tourists = no scams = no money - so now they are clutching at straws.

So was this a simple shake down that went wrong??

I heard a rumour that at NEP the OLD Bill suddenly want more money and the bars are doing worse than ever. Recession and all the rest of the crap and plod do badly - need more money.

So as they say be careful out there - there area lot of hungry officials - you could be the next target!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I with gobble - also the lady was a idiot - she and her friends wouldn't have done it in Aus BUT the big BUT is it's made Thailand look like more shit than ever.

That's the damage. Poor people working on the fringe of Pub's/Bar's/Tourism get shafted because less tourists are going to come.

So what if she's a complete fuckwit - bigger picture is that Thai Toursim took another hit.

Bust - didn't know Mat Lady had left Thailand?

PS: Are people in your country really being jailed for several days for stealing a 45 USD mat?

Not saying it is right, far from it, but I could see it: they would add to the theft charges 1) resisting arrest, 2) assault, 3) attempted bribery at least. That would get jail time until there could be a bail hearing, certainly.

Cheers,

SD

Nothing new, not a scam. They have been selectively x-raying bags at customs since Swampy opened. Trust me, I fly in-out of there on a weekly basis. Your mate just got nicked for doing something wrong. I do the same thing, so I'm not judging, just stating fact.

A friend came through with four bottles of wine and went to the red line. The customs agent there told him it wasn't worth his time to do the paperwork on such a small amount of duty and to just go on.

Cheers,

SD

As the drug addict who entered my condo will be jailed for 6 years 1/2 (he stole nothing, just broke a lot of stuff then fell asleep in a bed) I would say that if you steal a 45$ thing from a restaurant back here then you might end up in jail too...

Yesterdau in France the police arreste two boys, 6 and 10 years old, on a bicycle theft suspicion charge.

Always beats being beaten to a pulp by US police or shot by London police.

Sakai, arresting them is one thing, but juvenlies in this country have to literally commit murder before anyone is willing to lock them up - I expect that your 6 and 10 year olds will get a slap on the wrist and be released in to the custody of their parents. Probably worse than 'juvie'.

I agree that we cant lock 6-year olds up, but I seem to recall knowing that theft was against the law by 10. The Bolger case ignited a lot of feeling on this, but its difficult to see the laws being changed to acknowledge that a 12 year old now isnt the same as a 12 year old in 1970.

I was talking to somebody last night who had some wine in his luggage - he regularly does this (it is for his own use) but this time his case was x-rayed. He said most cases were being checked. His conclusion (and he has been here along time) was no tourists = no scams = no money - so now they are clutching at straws.

So was he fined?

How much wine did he carry?

I'm packing suit cases to day (on a plane to LOS tomorrow) and wonder about the wine, only one bottle allowed? :drunk:

Archived