Is it me or are the girls looking worse every year..

LuisBKK raised a quite interesting topic about Thai culture. After living and working here for more then 5 years I must agree with him that 'UpClass' Thais regard it as a severe offense, if a Farang brings his dark skinned Isaan GF to a party or even an official event. A friend of mine lost his job, because he didn't obey to this rule. After bringing his Isaan GF (not an ex-BG!) to several official gatherings a group of Thai Chineses in my company refused to work with him on projects. He was transferred to the Philippines 3 months later. We Farangs in our company follow the unwritten Thai law: do what you you want, but don't let someone see it. That means we don't take our Isaan girls to the movies, restaurants, shopping centers or even the sky train.

Before flaming me, I want to state that I more then dislike this behavior, but that I have to follow the rules, if I want to work here. Its their not my country. Also don't bash on guys like LuisBKK, he didn't make the rules. The rules are set by the ruling Thai Chinese elite and they are absoltutely racist. Just have a look on Thaksin, a wonderful example of this species.

However I fully disagree, that Isaan/BG are more boring then the normal upclass Thai/Chinese girls. I know plenty of them and they are even more boring. The whole weekend they shopping useless but expensive things, then meet with their clique to watch a movie or going to a Karaoke place for singing and eating(the most boring thing in the world). During the weeks they stay home watching the same brainless soap operas on Channel 3 and 7 the BG like to watch. I never saw them watching CNN or BBC news. Well they are more educated, speak better English (mostly), but that doesn't mean you can have a real discussion on serious topics with them. First they are just to lazy and uninterested to read newspapers. We Farangs know better what is going on here in Thailand then the Thais. Second, they will never speak bad about Thais in front of Farangs, which makes serious discussions (e.g. politics) rather impossible.

I had both Isaan and ThaiChinese GFs and looking back, all had their advantages and disadvantages. The only general rule I can give: if you want to show your GF to your Thai colleagues better look for a upclass Thai girl, even it is much more difficult get one and also much more expensive. If you prefer the Isaan girls (like me at the moment) just don't bother to show her around and you won't have a problem as well. What they don't know (speak see), they don't care

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardy641

That (some) Thais are looking down on others is well known. In fact those upclass Thais you are referring too are even looking down onto farangs, well at least some of them as I have some good Thai-Chinese friends over here.

I’m also surprised to read on the “unwritten Thai law” in your company. May I ask if you work for an Thai or an multinational Company?. In my company there is no tolerance for this. I recall a case that someone in my office found it necessary to continue teasing his colleague (Yes it was an Isaan) so the guy was sacked.

As I did indicate, my wife joins me to official events and I did not came across any reaction of Thais who saw this as a severe offense. Perhaps I should mention that she has worked years for a large hotel chain, so she is aware on how to represent herself.

Lastly, on a sideline you can say that we shouldn’t bash on guys like LuisBKK, as he didn't make the rules. Yes you are absolute right in that, but my problem is that this guy is straightforward EXECUTING these rules, perhaps more worse that those elites you are referring too. Needles to say that I do not appreciated the way that he expresses his views on Isaans generalizing them as “Isaan Whores” or in another tread in which he was ragging on the fact that some Thai women are praying every night. If luisBKK is not comfortable to go out with those so-called dark skinned Isaan women than I leave this up to him, but there is not any excuse on keeping raging against these women. they are still human beings right?.

As Dundee Said before, “Life and let it Live”.

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Dundee ]

elef:

I agree about the younger ones looking younger as I get older, but the ones I have known for some time, seem to age at an excellerated rate.

( I have seen/met with some of the same ladies for over 10 years, and the change is shocking sometimes)

but then agin, there is no substute for experience/talent.

quote:

Originally posted by Pom_Jao_Choo:

I can't argue that we all would love to be able to meet those more beutiful women we know to exist in the upper echolons of Thai society.

Interesting.

A lot of talk goes on about the beautiful Chinese Thai ladies that seem to be prized by some.

Simple: if you want accessible ladies that look like that, then go to China. I suggest Shenzhen. The girls are a bit rougher (more akin to the bar-girl experience) but they have the same ethnic background as the high-class Chinese Thais and many are unbelievable stunning on the sanuk scale.

Of course, you won't exactly be able to drag her around to parties at your office in Bangkok or make her your girlfriend.

quote:

Originally posted by RugDoctor:

I am a bit skiddish about going to Thailand right now but I enjoy your posts so I can continue to learn about Thai Culture. Hey maybe it is good there is a "cast system" in Thailand. When I go, I want to be looked at as just another middle class joe. The one thing that rung out to me in this post is the quote about how we will always be looked at as just another Ferang. I think most of us just want to to go Thailand, have some fun, and come home with a big smile on our face from our vacation. I think you guys should take it easy on the flames as I imagine most of us on this message borad are Ferang's and the board should be our safe community to chat and share ideas =)

You know even where concievably another man could have drawn the opinion in this thread that his wife had been directly insulted, no one actually gave anyone the hoof. It may have been tempting and a warning might have been uttered. But those of us with this board for long periods of time have come to know that moderators do use fair restraint.

Weve seen it in hundreds of threads. But it is the form of free speach that we have the oportunity to counter other's thoughts and hopefully influence each others perceptions. If one can not deal with rebutle in a news group I don't know how they would handle themselves in real life. It will allso become apparent to some that the vocal majority will in fact be instrumental in where the bounds of aceptability are drawn whithin our comunity and inevitably influence who's welcome is continued.

And I am sure that you appreciate that your input in the group is a part of that whole.

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

elef:

I agree about the younger ones looking younger as I get older, but the ones I have known for some time, seem to age at an excellerated rate.

( I have seen/met with some of the same ladies for over 10 years, and the change is shocking sometimes)

but then agin, there is no substute for experience/talent.

Several great points pasathai...

I will make it even less. I have been living here about five years and coming here about 6 1/2. I am constantly running into bargirls I have not seen for awhile and, I, too, cannot believe it is the same girl. Weight, hairstyle (many have gone from the long silky tresses I love so much to shorter styles), but especially their faces. It is hard to describe, but after a number of years in the business they seem to get a worn-down look.

One other one: I have been amazed by the increased English proficiency picked up by these gals. I had taken some and had to force myself to use Thai (a good thing actually). However, when I meet them later, their English is very good.

Your last comment is so true. I have been going out with a number of straight women here. Really, I date as many ladies not in the bar business as I do bargirls. Well, they are just clueless when it comes to sex. Also, they don't give a damn if you use a condom or not (I always do regardless). The older bargirls in the 25 and older category (most) on the other hand can rock your world in the sack. And, I think again most insist on condom usage. So, IMO not only is there a distinction in age when talking about talent or experience, but also in BG vs. straight lady. One, of course, would presume the latter would have less experience as well.

Cardinalblue -

Funny how everyone jumped on LuisBKKs' shit when he talked about Isaan women looking like monkeys.

Taken as a whole, it's an idiotic remark and he deserves to be dumped on by the Board. After reading his tripe, he seems a misogynist to me. God, why hate women? Maybe he's gay or something. Ah, but I digress...

I've always liked to people watch whenever I'm out and about, and mentally take note of physical characteristics of everyone I encounter. What LuisBKK said was politically incorrect to the extreme, but I would bet money he's not just making this up.

Guys, I've actually seen people who look like...well, monkeys, and they were white, black, chinese, spanish, male, female, and those whose race I'm unsure of. I have seen many people of many races and skin colors who have simian-like features. What can I say? It happens every x-thousandth person I see in a crowd. I don't simply think, "Ok, I'm a racist MF, that person looks like a freakin' ape." No, my brain just tells me, "Wow, that person looks like a monkey".

You guys can give me shit about this, but what about evolutionist theory? For those who don't believe that every single person on the planet can trace his roots back to Adam who lived in a cabbage patch, isn't modern man supposed to have evolved from apes? If so, why the hell WOULDN'T some of us have certain such features, some just more obvious than others? Jaysus! I'm not a scientist, but can anyone explain why ape behavior is so similar to human? Or instead is it, why human behavior is so similar to ape?

One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older, our society takes extreme pains to avoid offending anyone or anything, and no one seems to take direct responsibility for his/her individual actions. It's easier and more convenient to blame (and sue) someone else for what we do. The result is everything turns touchy-feely, indirect, and plain vanilla. Manufacturers cover their asses with an overabundance of precautions and warnings when selling their wares. Seen any pharmaceutical commercials lately?

So I guess it's okay to think your thoughts, just not say them out loud, 'cause you might hurt someone's boo-boo. Sheeesh!

Whether its a stuck up Chinese Thai with her BMW and poodles or an 'ape-like' Isaan girl, one thing I'm sure of: I'd rather have either than a fat, moaning farang bitch

laugh.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by cardinalblue:

What got my attention about this thread was someone wrote that stickman got in trouble some time back by making some descriptive remarks about Isaan people. Please correct me if I am wrong, but was this referring to a comment that Isaan women have "nethanderthal-like" physical traits/ characteristics? I am interested to know if people charged him with a racist comment?

Yes, it was a big discussion. Do a search on the board if you're interested. I think to this day Stick thinks it's only the extreme politically correct who take offense at singling out a particular race/region and describing their characteristics :

----------------

Sitting next to a girl in the bar, you realise that there is something a little different about her, something different from the majority of the girls. After going through the usual pleasantries of "what you name", "how old you" etc, you finally get to the "where you flom"? To your surprise, she responds that she is a Bangkok girl. So, how can you tell a Bangkok girl from an Isaan girl?

1. Her feet don't resemble a dinosaur's paws and claws.

2. Her hands aren't as rough as sandpaper.

3. One prick is in her som tum is enough.

4. She says ka at the end of every sentence.

5. <edited because there are too many politically correct people out there who take great offence to a mild piece of humour>.

6. Her nose doesn't look like she copped a blow from Mike Tyson.

7. Se actually speaks Thai, and not a Laos dialect.

8. She sleeps at night and not during the day.

9. Her skin isn't much darker than yours.

10. She won't tell you a dead buffalo story!

------------------

So in other words, Bangkok girls (even though they work in the same bar, see intro paragraph) have human features, speak polite & proper Central Thai, still manage to sleep at nighttime (?), have whiter skin and aren't lying scheming ******* with fake dead buffalo stories. [******* edited out because some people can't recognize a mild piece of humor]

Anyway, needless to say, some poeple came down on it pretty hard. What LuisBKK said wasn't quite as bad, well within the limits of expressing an opinion however unpleasant it (and later comments) may be. More importantly LuisBKK doesn't carry the same authority/responsibility Stickman does.

Cheers,

Chanchao

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Chanchao ]

Archived