absolute minimum

buddha

I love threads like this... - FWIW I live on fuck all too, I'm a bum. Lost job, don't pay mega $$ in taxes, although I do enjoy a nice restaurant every now and then, especially if someone else is paying.

Sometimes though, you just can't beat a few dirty old fashioned snags ona bbq though can you. Bottle of red, few beers... ahhh love the good life.

As you were

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if 10K is not an over-priced extravagent meal out in Belgium, then I can't help it if he lives in an over-priced part of the world where everything is 10 times the price of what it's value really is. :doah:

Glad I don't live there and have to pay that much all the time for a "non-extravagent" meal. :rolleyes:

Gotta love Europe... it's such good value and everything's so reasonably priced.. NOT! ;)

Agree with you, Red, by the way - snags on the BBQ and a few beers - awesome!

There is a place in Cupertino or some yuppie hole down there, that has steaks that cost $300++ To me extravagant indeed. But, some guys who really enjoy fine dining and wine would appreciate it, I would not. Especially if I was paying.

I tend to think it breaks into 2 groups. 1 group understands the effort and subtleties of the chef and ingredients. The other group is a bunch of wankers who'd eat dog shit on a rotted carrot if it had a fancy French name, and cost $500 a plate. They'd rave about it, and act like anyone who didn't enjoy dog shit on a rotted carrot was a culinary pleb. Fuck that group!

I recently spent $900 on a dive computer, some would consider that extravagant. I don't. So to each their own on food etc...extravagances make life worth living, what ever they are. Can't take it with you, and if you don't spend it, your next of kin will.

So if 10K is not an over-priced extravagent meal out in Belgium, then I can't help it if he lives in an over-priced part of the world where everything is 10 times the price of what it's value really is. :doah:

Which currency you are talking about? 10.000 THB for a meal for one person is definitely a luxury meal in Germany. It wouldn't be that easy to find a restaurant were you can spend this amount of money and you'll need a Gault Millau guide to find it.

I meant the equivalent of 10K baht in Euro.

Sure - can spend this amount on a meal here in Australia, but going out is generally good value here.

BB is implying that the equivalent of 10K baht in Euro is NOT an extravagent amount for a meal in Belgium.

Therefore, I was just saying, if that's the usual amount to pay for a semi-decent/average meal in Belgium, then I'm glad I don't have to live there and pay the equivalent of 10K baht to eat a decent meal in a nice environment.

This was BB's quote:

10K in farangland is not out of proportion, as cost of life is just higher than LOS.

While you responded I had changed my post.

10K THB _is_ an extravagant amount of money in an European restaurant. If we go to lunch with foreign clients we usually rarely spend more than 2.500 THB per person in the better restaurants in center of the town...

Which currency you are talking about? 10.000 THB for a meal for one person is definitely a luxury meal in Germany.

I think he meant for 2 people, not 1.

10k baht, or $150per person, is on the high end in the SF bay area ... not exactly a cheap place. Sure you can spend more (French Laundry is $240pp), but you can also have an incredible meal at Chez Panisse for $60-$95pp. Typical high end place around here is $75pp.

Don't know about the $300++ steak place OH, but it sounds like a HUGH ripoff. Kinda place where all the Google wannabe's hang out and impress each other with their stock option stories. Sorta like BelgianBitch and his "massive member" ...

I would not begrudge anyone their expensive toys or fancy meals. I just think it is immature to look down one's nose at those who choose to live a more frugal lifestyle.

Archived