Yanks Health Care Passes. Done Deal.

unit731

The government has used as an example; a family of 4 making up to $88,000 will receive some kind of subsidy to pay for health insurance. I have a family of 6 and don't make anywhere near $88,000 a year, so I am assuming that the government will pay at least half, if not most of my health insurance in 2014. I think a better comparison of health insurance versus driver's licence would be health insurance versus public education. People are forced to pay property tax, which helps to pay for the county's public school system. People may send their children to private or religious schools but still have to pay their property taxes. If people opt out of paying their fare share of property taxes, it would undermine the financial stability of the public school system. The same thing should apply to the health system. HH, I think you have more important things to worry about in California, like the financial stability of government worker's pensions. Between bad investments and allowing people to use their sick time and vacation time accumilated over the years to jack up their gross wages during their last year before retiring. This, in turn, jack ups their pensions. Of course, its legal but its just one more example of the "I've got mime and screw everyone else" mentality of Americans anymore.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't get an argument from me on that one! While I don't hold politicians in the same level of contempt as you, they are supposed to set an example for the citizens that they represent. I guess that, with that kind of representation, I shouldn't blame everyone else for the "screw you" attitude. But I do.

I see this as a way to continue to eliminate the US middle class and drive more people on to welfare.

I was paying $850 / month for health insurance but thanks to Obamacare, it will soon go up to $950! WTF!!!

Premiums have been going up before Romnicare.

So if they would have been going up to $1000 without Romnicare, but only went up to $950, that means you can thank Obama for the extra $50 in your (or your BG's) pocket.

There are some headlines about AT&T and other big corporations having to pay more because of Romnicare. But looking deeper, this is because these companies were receiving Federal subsidies for having a drug plan for its retirees. Before, these subsidies were not taxed, now they no longer are able to deduct that subsidy. So instead of two corporate welfare breaks, they only get one. How dare Obama cut welfare!

Thats if you don't have any existing medical pre-conditions.If you don't get your insurance through your job and have to buy it as an individual, insurance companies will charge an absurdly high rate. My brother, 63 years old and retired as of 2 years ago, pays $36,000 a year because of his existing medical pre-condition (and Obamacare won't kick in for him until 2014, after he is on medicare).

Thats if you don't have any existing medical pre-conditions.If you don't get your insurance through your job and have to buy it as an individual, insurance companies will charge an absurdly high rate. My brother, 63 years old and retired as of 2 years ago, pays $36,000 a year because of his existing medical pre-condition (and Obamacare won't kick in for him until 2014, after he is on medicare).

If you get an individual plan, it covers very little as oppose to a group plan.

If you have insurance from where you work and get the 'can' and you have pre-existing health issues - you can't get insurance - that is eugenics!

Obamacare will eliminate a lot of these issues. The insurance companies could have resolved these issues if they wanted to, but they didn't make an effort so governmemt stepped in.

Expect government to step in and put controls on oil companies as gas continues to rise in price.

You practically need an attorney to review an insurance contract nowadays to know exactly what they will cover for certain things. All too often families think they are covered for everything and find out they are not.

I am curious to know if any one who is opposed to the current bill thinks the present system, as hodge podge as it is, is working generally for the average American?

Medical bills are a huge cause of bankruptcies. What I am finding amazing is that the opposition from run of the mill Republicans, many of whom, either have had to declare bankruptcy because of medical bills, are currently in hoc trying to pay off bills or has a friend or family member who has had to declare bankruptcy or are paying off huge bills.

I know I've prepared the best I can. For a while now I chose jobs based greatly on the type of insurance they provided. I gave up more in salary in lieu of better insurance when I've accepted some positions. I'm in pretty good shape, knock on wood. I work out at the gym regularly, I eat very healthy. I have no major maladies that I know of. I get a thorough physical every year to make sure I catch things early. I even had the doctors check for any signs of colon cancer and such even though they've said I was too young to worry about it.

Even with all these precautions I'm scared sh*tless of any catostrophic medical condition and from what I've seen and heard I should be.

If I was to get very rich, one of the first things I'd do is buy the best medical insurance possible.

I don't think this bill will fix the problem. I think eventually it will become a money pit like all the other government programs of this size and scope but I am wondering if it will at least be better than either not doing anything and keeping the present system or better than what any Republicans are proposing (such as medical savings plans akin to IRAs)?

The fact that EVERY candidate has to have a health plan proposal as part of their campaign tells me enough. It tells me that enough Americans are concerned about it enough to make it a priority for the govenrment as much as the economy, defense and the usual issues that candidates traditionally respond to.

I don't recall but what was McCain's plan? I'm not asking to say it wasn't good or anything but I am curious to know what would have been the alteernative had he won the election? I assume the plan, whatever it is, would be supported by those on here who are vehementally opposed to Obama's.

Archived