Thaksin, where are you?

Flashermac

They just want to bring back Takky's body so can he leap from the coffin on a stage in front of 1,000s of mourning fans, thereby creating the kind of credibility to take back the country, and annex Cambo and Laos into the bargain.

:)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wendella does a good job of summing up the speculation about Thaksin's absence. Just checked the Bangkok Post and the UDD seem to be even more active. If this was all about Thaksin and if he was dead, I wouldn't expect that.

But I also wouldn't expect him to go all quiet now. That is strange.

There have been reports for some time that Thaksin's biggest concern and fear is not Abhisit, the Thai legal system or any other part of the Thai government, but other leaders in the Reds. For reasons that I could never quite fathom, Thaksin captured the popular imagination of many disaffected Thais. Irrespective of whether you think it was justified or not (I don't think it was), he somehow managed to pull this off.

Where is he? No idea. He is still important as a symbol for the Reds (well, many of them), but is he still the leader. Is he still the real impetuous for all of this? I wonder.

Thaksin was and is a true opportunist. I think that is his true genius: identifying some grievance and milking it for all it was worth to advance his own interests. He was also reckless in doing so. He enabled and empowered many of the guys that booted him out in the 2006 coup.

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore where he is? Maybe his true value to those who lead the reds now is as a poster boy of an ousted democratically elected leader. His flaws, and there are many and many reds recognize them, are legion, but that doesn't seem to detract from his value as a poster boy for something more genuine and fundamental. Maybe that is the answer.

Maybe his true value to those who lead the reds now is as a poster boy of an ousted democratically elected leader. His flaws, and there are many and many reds recognize them, are legion, but that doesn't seem to detract from his value as a poster boy for something more genuine and fundamental. Maybe that is the answer.

This agrees with the position of the reds I know well. They are happy to take his money for protesting but they don't want him back.

Somchai's relatives dressed in black: Bannawit

Adm Bannawit Kengrien, a former deputy permanent secretary for Defence, posted a message on his Twitter page, saying he has learned that all family members of former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat are now dressed in black.

Bannawit also claimed that his friend, who is a Pheu Thai MPs, received an order that if someone asked him about former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, he would have to reply that he had just talked to Thaksin over the phone.

Link

Archived