The sadness behind the smiles?

Lusty

Regarding having a "choice"... Earn 5000 b per month slaving away in a factory or maybe ten times that in a gogo/bar.

One girl the sole income earner for the family due to drunken/lazy/dead parents etc.

A choice, maybe... But a realistic choice?

Definitely a lot more jaded looking girls this trip for me... Or maybe it's me getting old and more cynical.

Seems a lot more idiot farangs around too I've noticed. No wonder the girls get the shits with it.

Bullshit works from both sides.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding having a "choice"... Earn 5000 b per month slaving away in a factory or maybe ten times that in a gogo/bar.

One girl the sole income earner for the family due to drunken/lazy/dead parents etc.

Absolutely.....how may girls are lured into the industry on the promise of easy money and a ticket out of their current situation.

Perhaps the jaded look is from the realisation there isn't a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for everyone.

Definitely a lot more jaded looking girls this trip for me... Or maybe it's me getting old and more cynical.

Seems a lot more idiot farangs around too I've noticed. No wonder the girls get the shits with it.

Bullshit works from both sides.

Not sure I would buy that. I have heard the same argument made by "inner city youth" who get busted dealing drugs. "...well I have NO other option, work for shit wages or make 100 times that selling crack...get rich like fitty did..." sa have options, and so do Thai girls.

Remember, there are a lot more women in Thailand who DON'T resort to whoring, then do. Poverty alone is not the only driving force.

Several of the expats here have, over the years, expressed a desire to see NP, Cowboy and Wa. Sq bulldozed. Lets sterilize BKK, drive those nasty Isaan people back to the provinces and all settle down to a nice, quiet, middle-class existence. How big did you say your condo was again ?

Remember, there are a lot more women in Thailand who DON'T resort to whoring, then do. Poverty alone is not the only driving force.

True, and plenty of those women congregate in alleyways, selling food and drink to the very people they like to bitch about. Happens everywhere - I once worked for stockbrokers, and that's a total bitchfest. They made too much money, mostly had little clue and were consummate liars - worst of all, I didnt enjoy being fu*ked by them. I'll take the lazy whores outside NEP any day of the week :)

Hi,

"Several of the expats here have, over the years, expressed a desire to see NP, Cowboy and Wa. Sq bulldozed. Lets sterilize BKK, drive those nasty Isaan people back to the provinces and all settle down to a nice, quiet, middle-class existence."

Rather a big leap there. Bulldozing those areas would hardly even make a dent in the amount of Isaan people in BKK.

Not to even mention that wanting dens of prostitution removed is hardly the same as wanting to see all 'nasty Isaan people' removed.

Sanuk!

PS Not saying I am in favor of having those places removed (I'm fairly indifferent on the subject), just pointing out that you are making a massive leap in connecting issues.

PS Not saying I am in favor of having those places removed (I'm fairly indifferent on the subject), just pointing out that you are making a massive leap in connecting issues.

Relax KS - I was being deliberately inflammatory. I know that we occasional LOS visitors have a warped view of Lower Suk as the centre of BKK.

Archived