Future of this board (software)?

khunsanuk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KS - why not start a thread for donors, I'll go 300 baht, will have to forgo lunch at the Oriental, unless someone wants to shout me :)

You won't get half an oyster for that NG...we are going back after our cruise from Beijing to Bangkok from 28 to 19..shout you when we go to the Oriental ..(no shorts or thongs) :neener:

Hi,

"What's wrong with open source software?"

Nothing perse, however since the source is freely available hackers can get access to it very easily. As a result the risk of getting spammed / hacked is much higher.

For the sake of ~$200 I'd rather go with licensed software.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Thanks for the support guys. Spoke to Jigger and he had some very valid reasons for NOT changing over, at least not at this point. He is struggling with some server issues and would prefer no major changes before he can sort those issues out. Makes perfect sense to me, so we probably will just upgrade to v3.1 of this software first and run with that for a bit.

The underlying issue of lack of support and future of the FBB software is still there though, so I do hope we can move over in the near future.

Jigger and I are not really certain how to deal with the finances. Obviously running this site isn't free and while we get some cash from advertising it isn't really enough to cover expenses, never mind Jigger's and my time.

Sponsor money helps of course, but - and no offense meant as I never really ask for it - that is very sporadic.

I'm wondering if it would make sense, and if you would accept, to figure out our yearly cost and use that as a goal for a yearly donation drive?

So, thoughts?

Sanuk!

Hi,

Sponsor money helps of course, but - and no offense meant as I never really ask for it - that is very sporadic.

I'm wondering if it would make sense, and if you would accept, to figure out our yearly cost and use that as a goal for a yearly donation drive?

So, thoughts?

Sanuk!

Actually I am wondering that you didn't do this before. It's quite common on other boards.

Just installing a donation button is really not enough, but a donation drive with a defined goal should work very well (see Wikipedia for example).

Hi,

I guess it is a bit my nature. Have to admit I feel reluctant asking people for 'hand outs' :(

Sanuk!

I'm not shy, give me the money :)

no, but seriously folks. I'd pay a $ amount annually, you shouldn't think of it as handouts, set an amount, PM every member with a pay up message. (a nice one of course)

That should work.

That'll get people like me off our arses.

KS - why not start a thread for donors' date=' I'll go 300 baht, will have to forgo lunch at the Oriental, unless someone wants to shout me :) [/quote']

You won't get half an oyster for that NG...we are going back after our cruise from Beijing to Bangkok from 28 to 19..shout you when we go to the Oriental ..(no shorts or thongs) :neener:

Can me Mrs LK and I join too? We like to hit the Oriental on Sundays. You don't have to buy, unless you want to. You want to, right? LOL

Archived