Future of this board (software)?

khunsanuk

Hi,

The recent software fuckup and subsequent lack of support from the company behind it has made me realize that perhaps we should be looking at moving to software that is more actively supported. The latest version of FusionBB is from April '10 (with some bug fix updates made in Nov'10) and there doesn't seem to be any indication on when to expect a next release. The community forum is all but dead as well.

Basically I am worried that we might run out of options if this company goes under and / or stops supporting FusionBB.

So, what are the alternatives?

There are 3 major forum scripts that can be considered: vBulletin, phpBB and IP.board

A comparision of the three can be found here

For me there is actually only 1 real alternative though, IP.board, mainly due to that being the only one with a supported importer for FusionBB (I REALLY do not want to lose close to 800,000 posts!).

Anyway, advantages and disadvantages of switching over:

Advantages:

- more modern board (social networking integration, SEO integration, Ad integration)

- optional integrated photo gallery (extra cost)

- looks like a more stable / active product (when looking at the company / community)

Disadvantages:

- we'll have to fork over some cash ($150 for board, $65 for gallery)

- both Jigger and I will have to spend some time doing the install / import / design

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Sanuk!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Slightly less even actually, there's a slight discount when buying the 2 apps together. Think it works out to about $205.

Don't think the money is a real issue, the time for Jigger and I might be more of an issue though. And of course a big part of the decision is of course how you - the members - feel about switching to a new piece of software. After all, you guys will be using it a lot as well.

Sanuk!

I'd say go for it - put it online for a quick 1 week test or so (separate standalone forum for testing) - then turn off the switch one night and integrate it all.

"If you forum software is not in the list the IPB team can do the job for you for $60."

Maybe ask them if they will do the whole job of the integration for a price - saves you all the time and hassle also.

Cheers!

My opinion is to upgrade to a new system that will best suit the needs of the board.

Money wise I for one will make a donation to that fund.

Time wise for yourself and Jigger could be a problem.

Changing over may also see the board being out of action for a period of time to cover the changeover time.

I suppose its the times we live in but it's a bit of a f...k up that the software we use, here and in our work place and at home, isn't supported after a few years forcing people to go elsewhere.

This I find is especially annoying in iPhone apps. People spend time creating these apps and selling them but then don't keep them up to date. So an app that suits your needs and you've found useful to have is gone after a short period of time.

Anyway back to this Boards problems.

I say go for the new software and hopefully yourself and Jigger won't have to spend too much time in the 'changeover'. I suppose $215 is a small enough amount and if that's divided between those members who do donate then it won't appear too much.

In fact if enough people donated then maybe you'd be in a position to get a third person to help and give them a some $'s for their time.

I'd say go for it - put it online for a quick 1 week test or so (separate standalone forum for testing) - then turn off the switch one night and integrate it all.

"If you forum software is not in the list the IPB team can do the job for you for $60."

Maybe ask them if they will do the whole job of the integration for a price - saves you all the time and hassle also.

Cheers!

Agree....If it's an option

So, total cost $265 +/-

As much as I got canned a couple of years ago.... for wanting to raise funds for something I thought worthwhile.....I'll bare my butt again

Bottom line.....27 of us throw USD $10 (300 Bt) at it and it's all fixed

I'm in.......

Cheers Ds

Archived