Future of this board (software)?

khunsanuk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Not sure what you mean about getting money from them?"

PayPal are fairly notorious for closing accounts. A few years back we ran into some issues as well. A customer complained, PayPal's immediate reaction was to freeze our account - no evidence from the customer required. Took over a month to clear things up with PayPal, even though we refunded the money to the complainer straight away.

Sanuk!

who did you pay? the receiver eventually has to get the money. I've understood it's not easy to get money from paypal. for example...you donate 100 bucks via paypal. does the receiver get 100 bucks? Is paypal just donating their service? I don't think so. Is it a pain in the ass to receive actually money in hand from them?

Hi,

"What's wrong with open source software?"

Nothing perse, however since the source is freely available hackers can get access to it very easily. As a result the risk of getting spammed / hacked is much higher.

For the sake of ~$200 I'd rather go with licensed software.

Sanuk!

Don't think spammed/hacking has anything to do with whether the software is open source or proprietary. Look at all the virus attacks on Windows vs Linux, or IE vs FireFox.

Anyhow, since you and Jigger are doing 100% of the work choose what makes y'alls life easier. :wave:

Hi,

I think they may take out a percentage from business accounts, but the donations are considered personal transactions and I've not had to pay anything.

To take it out you can have the money transferred to your bank account. Not done this myself though, but a friend has. Said it takes about 5-7 days.

Sanuk!

Kamui, Filemaker still in life? Fark I first used that in the 80's I think :(

Yep, it's in version 11 by now and for a non-proffessional programmer like me it is superior the MS Access.

I am still working on the database (I am currently learning the basic of scripting) but I can already access it via our office network and soon via iPad/iPone and the internet.

I think they may take out a percentage from business accounts, but the donations are considered personal transactions and I've not had to pay anything.

How does PayPal make money?

Answer: as a middleman financial broker, PayPal makes its profit by charging a percentage of the money it transfers for you.

•PayPal is Free for Buyers and for Sending Money to Someone Else. Once a buyer sets up a Paypal account, then it costs nothing to send money to a vendor. The funds are withdrawn from the user's credit card or bank account, or both. PayPal does not charge buyers to send money.

•PayPal Commonly Charges Money Receivers (Sellers) a 30 Cent Fee + (1.9% to 2.9%) Surcharge. PayPal will only charge you to receive funds. Using a special surcharge formula, PayPal will bill you whenever you receive a payment from a buyer.

•If you are sending money to a friend or family member (someone who is not a registered seller), you can opt to pay for the PayPal surcharge yourself.

Paypal Fee Table:

1.For receiving transfers under $3000 USD: the fee is 2.9% + $0.30 USD.

2.For receiving transfers $3000.01 to $10,000: the fee is 2.5% + $0.30 USD.

3.For receiving transfers $10,000.01 to $100,000: the fee is 2.2% + $0.30 USD.

4.Receiving transfers over $100,000: Paypal charges 1.9% + $0.30 USD.

As you might guess, smart sellers will increase their prices to offset this charge on their side of PayPal.

To take it out you can have the money transferred to your bank account. Not done this myself though, but a friend has. Said it takes about 5-7 days.

You don't take donations out?

How about starting 10 quality Topics in lieu of THB 300 baht?

10 people x 10 new (quality) topics would probably bring more life to the board then new software/hardware in the short term!

Gets boring coming on the board and having less than a handful of posts to read.

Cheers!

Archived