Future of this board (software)?

khunsanuk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thanks guys. I have no idea if we could hire someone from IP to do the installation / import, but I guess it is worth asking.

Downtime shouldn't be that much I'd say, basically just the time needed to import the current data. That could take several hours though, but I doubt we'd be down for more than half a day.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Doubt it. Besides it isn't just posts that need to be imported, also user accounts, PTs, forums, threads.

Why do you ask?

Sanuk!

I noticed phpBB had software to import messages in XML format, so the 800k posts would be preserved.

You may want to look how to convert IP to another BB software. Who knows, maybe IP will disappear next year. :dunno:

Plus I see with IP.Board the renewal period is 6 months. So that is an extra $25 every 6 months.

6 months software upgrades/support

30 days live online chat support for new licenses

2 business days ticket response

5 day major version upgrade turnaround

Minor version upgrade via easy upgrade pack

One active installation & one test installation

Optional 6 month renewal: $25

Hi,

"noticed phpBB had software to import messages in XML format, so the 800k posts would be preserved."

Okay.

"You may want to look how to convert IP to another BB software. Who knows, maybe IP will disappear next year."

There is of course always that danger, with any company, but looking at their community I get the impression it is pretty stable and will be around for a while.

With FusionBB we took a gamble on a new, unproven company, and while I like their product (and it was definitely one of the best when we moved over) it has unfortunately become apparent that they cannot combine development of the software with their regular jobs. And as a result the forum software suffers.

"Plus I see with IP.Board the renewal period is 6 months. So that is an extra $25 every 6 months."

Annoying, but not enough reason to not switch to this. I get the impression you would prefer us to switch to phpBB, but I really prefer not using OS software. Never mind the fact that there is no way to import the current posts into phpBB, that by itself excludes it as an option I'd say.

Sanuk!

Can't say I'm an expert on these matters but when the board was cactus, I did have a look at the fusionBB board and it did look like it was about to die.. Quite a few members comments similar to what KS says - was good in the beginning, going out of date, and support fading.

If there are better options out there I say go for it. If the hat needs to be passed around so be it.

Archived