Why not?

khunsanuk

KS,

I have never really looked through the site other than the board, except for a few occaisions.

I stumbled on to the board and used it as a great resource during my first visits. Later I registered and tried to 'give' a bit of information or commentary to the community when I could.

I think that you should stay the course with your content areas. Give them time, and seed them with some of your own stuff [lots of work]. They will grow exponentially if you can integrate them and the board into one 'system'.

I don't use them because I am interested in direct reports of whats happening, the back and forth between members is much more interesting to me.

I have to give you credit for creating a really helpful, and plentiful source of info at nanaplaza.com. It has helped me quite a bit in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the reasons why participation is down is emphasized in Tigermouths last post. I do not think he made the initial post with the intent on later asking for the thread to be terminated.

Another reason why participation is down is that some posters post things that are bizarre. As an example, one person mentioned something to the effect of throwing certain children in front of buses and then later emphasizing that they really did mean what they did post.

If these two areas can get improved, I can see people coming forth to post freely.

kc2000 said:

You guys are great, at least you have a belief and stick to it.

Stickman, how can you say with a straight face this place is better than bangkok tonight?

Cause it is. Lotsa quality but lotsa boobs on Bangkok Tonight. I personally would like to see a bit more "fun" here on this board. Been saying that for some time.

Back to Bangkok Tonight:

I told a guy on Bangkok Tonight that he deserved to get thrown out on his keister because he didn't want to buy one drink for everyone in his party when they went to AngelWitch. I was subsequently called a troll and asked why I hid behind an anonymous ID. Intimidating violence. What a boob. Not a mention from a moderator or anyone else. It's buried in the AngelWitch thread over there.

But I also believe that the rules are "perceived" to be too strict over here, when they ain't.

<<burp>>

Why Not?

I think it's simple. The jumping off point for people on this site isn't the main page. It's the forum index page. Period.

The only people who go to the home page are newbies.

You are not going to get greater interaction into the rest of your site by talking about it or complaining. You need to integrate those parts of your site with the driving engine (the forum).

You do this by putting up the top 3 pics for the last month in rotation somewhere on the main forum index page. This should have a link to the picture gallery that readers can click on.

You can also drive readership by putting up a locked sticky thread of a bar review in Nightlife for 4 or 5 days with a link to the review part of the site where people can add more or comment on the review in the locked thread. A sticky for more than 4 or 5 days will get ignored.

You need to really think out and test the additions to the site before you offer them. If someone tries to upload a picture and they can't, it'll be 10x harder to get them to try again.

I also thought that you should have integrated the hotel / gogo reviews with the main board.

EVENT CALENDAR

Want to have more value added, take out the "Current Threads" on the forum index page. Put in an event calendar. Where people can post events (ala ThailandFriends.com). The Meetings forum don't cut it. I know very FEW people who read all the forums. Most only read a choice few.

Printout business cards to be given to the usual idiots so they can give them to bar owners who can email you to announce their events for free on the calendar.

You need to step away from your baby. I feel you are too close to look objectively because you see the site every single day. Too me the answers are obvious and the actions you can take are several.

Demonstrate value and folks will come. Problem is that people are dumb and blind. Hit them over the head enough though, and they do come around

:)

<<burp>>

Last year I thought the board was way over moderated but now I think the right balance has been found. I think you hit the problem on the head when you said you're a techi not a writer, you need to get a couple of wordsmiths on board to do a regular weekly feature. I think a modern 'Night Owl' type feature writen by a non geriactric who has his finger on the pulse would be well read. Stickmans site does well because it's well written, interesting and relevant.

Guest lazyphil

flyonzweall could do his alternative 'graveyard' shift column :stirthepo I know KS has his reasons for steering clear of him but he was a very interesting if controversial poster who as far as i could tell knew stuff through personal experience that few of us here appear to have, just my opinion KS and take it as that only please :)

Lots of sensible answers, I don't think we can blame the users, it's more the layout. I used to post a lot of reviews on the hotels a long time ago but it was a neglected backwater which is odd when you think how many questions we get about hotels. I must admit I only just noticed the tab and for the first time today had a look at hotel reviews. Competitions, well it's not so easy to get through all the photo enties and vote, I often have to do it at two or three visits as it seems time consuming. Must admit if I want to look up hotel reviews I look on other sites. Maybe it would help if just the tabs were made a lot bigger and the photo pics were easier to get through?

KS

You have already answered your question. You are a Techie who does not have the time to organise all the info you have been given (and continue to be given) for free. (I also get the impression it is something you see purely as a chore - fair enough - I can imagine nothing quite as dull as endless fiddling with computer mumbo jumbo. It's each to their own - it is not "just" work when you enjoy at least some of it).

At the moment you have a Message Board with a Website attached, you need a Website with a Message Board attached. (Like you don't know already!).

I started reading your threads about improvements and whilst I am sure all the time and effort spent will make the board / website faster / better / quicker / longer / more colourful (Although I admit I have no actual idea as I got lost long ago with the mumbo jumbo!), you are I feel missing the fundamental point of what is wrong with the Website - it's "just" the layout. It sucks. Big time. You need to make your content accesable - both for readers AND contributors. And I would also humbly suggest that you do need to put the time and effort into "capturing" at least some of the info you are given in the message board and posting it on the Website on a regular basis, even if only once a week.

Secondly I beleive you do need for someone to keep at least something up to date and regular ALA Stickman ON THE WEBSITE - could even be a job shared under the one "Pen name".

I think what has worked for Stickman, in addition to his mighty column :o is the "Vanity Publishing" element where folk see their submissions posted for the world to see. No reason why you could not also be "inspired" by him in a similar vein. It's changeable and up to date content which requires bugger all effort.

Maybe also post certain Threads up as Standalone articles?

Archived