Why not?

khunsanuk

Hi,

"I'd rather that didn't happen, but I'm not going to provide free content for a site with a pay option and I'm not going to waste my time writing stuff up only to have it disappear when a site goes belly-up."

As I said, we are not going pay anymore. You can either trust me on that or you do not, not much I can do about it.

As for going belly up, very unlikely. We have been going for close to 10 years, and I for one have no intention of shutting this site down. I am still convinced that it can be made into something much greater than it is now. But I'll need help with it, not people saying that "I don't want to contribute, because nobody else is either.".

While I understand your point, it is only people like you who can change this. I cannot force people to contribute, only ask.

I do find it a bit sad that whether or not one wants to contribute depends on whether or not others do. If we all thought like this, we're not ever gonna get anything decent, are we?

Sanuk!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
khunsanuk said:

I cannot force people to contribute, only ask.

I do find it a bit sad that whether or not one wants to contribute depends on whether or not others do. If we all thought like this, we're not ever gonna get anything decent, are we?

Sanuk!

And from a long-term resident like me, I'm more than happy to contribute from my experiences here so others won't have to go through all the mistakes, dead ends etc that I had to go through.

It doesn't matter that I don't get any monetary returns, just to see that someone appreciates an insight into a similar experience and can act accordingly.

I don't get out much any more as the kids are growing up, plus the fact that I'm on the outskirts of Bangkok, so you won't see me contributing to anything else other than the forum. I'll leave the picture-taking stuff to people whose hobby it is (like Stickman) or those who can still get to nice, scenic places and are still able to take pictures without having the kids or wife in any of them. :)

Im back. You want more fun....just let people post what they want. I feel that people here are a bit scared of posting things that the owners might think a bit offensive. You have a good following of yes men, just like a girl i had at moehua on ratchada recently, everytime i said something she say "yes sir", gets old real fast.

Theres even been a few comments recently that refer that this place is a tad restrictive. Reminds me of girls who wanna party but dont because they scared of mama and papa.

Part of the fun in looking for a bar you like is going out and doing it. Brown foxs review while it looks like it has useful info is basically worthless. He says Sharks has many great girls, if it did there wouldnt be only 5 customers at 9:25pm last night. I go there to see the 1 above average looking lady they got.

It has been said before technical people are good at technical stufff, not good in the other areas required to run a successful business.

KS,

I finally added in all my comments and votes to the new GoGo Ranking. Must agree with Cent that its currently a bit cumbersome to work with. Took me over a half hour to add my 26 reviews in - and that's with doing cut and pastes from other windows along with a hard copy as a guide. To me the problem now is with functional navigation for the user - but perhaps this will all be corrected with the new Fusion system.

I was actually only able to add votes in from within each individual "GoGo home" section using the "ADD YOUR COMMENTS" link - whereas trying to use the "ADD YOUR VOTE" link in the 'outer loop' appeared to take eveything except votes.

Also agree with Singapore Steve about having a little more info, especially a little description of where the joint actually is, for example, I was supposed to have made 27 reviews however one of them "Hollywood" - I don't know which Hollywood I was at, i.e. the proper name so I could choose the correct 1 of the 3 Hollywoods that are listed (mine was the 3rd floor one near the old Titty Twister side of NEP). Maybe you could initiate a, dare I say it, a data call from members to gather short and simple location phrases for each joint that's lacking one.

Also think Cent's idea about adding a link in its respective GoGo "home" section, if its available, would be a great idea. What is it they say, Sex sells, and the more attractive and fun the review section is the more visitors we might get I think. Adding "store front" photos also will also be a great addition (I have one from Pattaya anyway that I'll be sending (every little bit helps)).

There's much good about the GoGo Rankings too however, e.g. detailed price info and I like the fact that all comments are forever date stamped since we all know things can change quickly.

Handling a successful message board is a changing business model. The unique nature of having an online forum is not such a big deal as it was 10 years ago when all you needed was some technical smarts and a fast server. There are just too many of them now. People were starved for information and put up with more than they would today.

Frankly, Nana Plaza is showing its age. Much of the data and posts are old and in need of revision. People are use to having 'content' delivered to them rather than contributing themselves. Night owl and Stickman are successful because they provide new content with every column. With the content is an editorial slant of sorts which may invoke more commentary or a different point of view. Many early contributors have already left for various reasons and the new board members are more likely to just browse and not contribute since that is the common format in most sites today.

A suggestion is that you provide regular, updated, and user focused content, and make the message board the supporting forum to invoke user comment on the content. That means you KS must take an editorial plunge, go out and research information, keep the web site updated, and not just sit back as a techie waiting for everyone else to do the work.

Maybe a little harsh in comments, but you wanted some honest feedback.

Hi,

"Must agree with Cent that its currently a bit cumbersome to work with."

Understood, and I'll see about making it a bit easier to use.

"whereas trying to use the "ADD YOUR VOTE" link in the 'outer loop' appeared to take eveything except votes."

Hmmm, that sounds like a bug to me :(

location info -> good idea

photos -> I've just added photos to most of the Walking Street bars (courtesy of Rookie, who received a Board Sponsor upgrade for that), other Pattaya bars to follow tomorrow

Sanuk!

Hi,

"That means you KS must take an editorial plunge, go out and research information, keep the web site updated, and not just sit back as a techie waiting for everyone else to do the work.

Maybe a little harsh in comments, but you wanted some honest feedback. "

Nothing harsh in that; I actually fully agree with it. The problem is that with a full time job and a wife, I just do not have the time to do this. As it is the site takes up 15-20 hrs a week already.

On top of that I think that I lack the writing skills, and (to be honest) I have lost interest in the bars. Can't even remember the last time I was in a GoGo bar.

Which basically means that I need someone else to provide this info. Maybe we should consider getting another partner into the site who deals with just that part?

Sanuk!

Archived