Why not?

khunsanuk

Mr. KS,

My recommendations: (I did not read all 8 pages of posts so I don't know about duplication)

1. Have a serious talk with Stickman about forming a partnership or possibly combining the sites. The two best/most popular sites about LOS merged into one.

2. Who do you want to be your primary target audience?

-sexpats

-los expats

-working los expats

-simple tourists

-Thai Nationals

The needs of each in searching for a message board/website can be very different. You need to provide a quality service to who you want as a target audience.

When I was in the US and vacationed in LOS this site was extremely useful. I spent my time in Pattaya. I am now a working expat in the Philippines.

3. Broaden the scope of the site to include the Philippines or other countries. Not just under one category "Sanuk in other countries". I have lived and worked here now for a year. I am married and have a 6 week old baby. My needs are much different. I would like a forum to discuss work related problems such as cultural differences and how to maintain working relationships in asia. There are alot of working expats and I am sure that many are not into the nightlife.

The perspective of the working expat is so different from the tourist or the sanuk seeker that sometimes I really wonder how they can co-exist on one board.

4. Find yourself a "Stickman" of the Philippines. I have only found one site here that seems pretty good. "Living in the Philippines. But, the message board is on Yahoo and is very difficult to navigate and follow. Maybe talk to the owner. In business companies grow by mergers. Why not websites?

5. I think that your board is heading into the right direction and has the potential for greatness. You need to come up with something innovation that acheives the right balance of locations, content and simplicity.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Have a serious talk with Stickman about forming a partnership or possibly combining the sites."

"Stickman does Nanaplaza" :)

"Who do you want to be your primary target audience?"

Don't really see a need to limit ourselves to just one.We are thinking about offerering different 'sites' (actually more like different templates of the same site presenting info in a different manner) to the different targets.

Thai nationals will never really be a part of our target audience though. I think their needs are just too different.

"Find yourself a "Stickman" of the Philippines."

Never thought of that. Interesting idea.

"I think that your board is heading into the right direction and has the potential for greatness."

Thanks, Jigger and I feel the same way, it's just trying to find that trigger that makes it happen :)

Sanuk!

"..."Who do you want to be your primary target audience?"

Don't really see a need to limit ourselves to just one.We are thinking about offerering different 'sites' (actually more like different templates of the same site presenting info in a different manner) to the different targets..."

I think the strength/appeal of this board is the fact that it isn't geared to just on group. Thai Falang board is aimed at Thai-Falang couples, and addresses couples/family issues, and there are tons of boards that cater to the wild side of BKK/LOS/SEA.

"...Thai nationals will never really be a part of our target audience though. I think their needs are just too different..."

Their needs are what make them the target of the tourists...

:p :hubba: :hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

KS, Stick,

Yes, I think that sums up both of your very nicely.

But some sort of Stickman Weekly, even if just put on here as a separate thread, would bring in lots of discussions.

I hardly ever read the Weekly now, but would if it was located here. A good point, but potential bad point, is that it will get tremendous feedback every week as people like to see their opinions in the bright lights. Feedback to Stickman's sight isn't immediate and even if you have a good point or counter-point, it isn't seen by anyone.

Cheers!

Don't really see a need to limit ourselves to just one.We are thinking about offerering different 'sites' (actually more like different templates of the same site presenting info in a different manner) to the different targets.

Good idea.

I would just suggest that when someone clicks through the front page of Budhisttemples.com looking for just a hotel that the hotels listing is fairly neutral / respectable so that they are not also confronted with stuff like info on anal sex with BG's, although nothing wrong as such with having the link through to this subject matter as long as it is done tastefully ::. You don't want to scare folk away.

• 1 month later...

KS:

So i had a few drinks. First time in awhile. Then unexpectedly had some thoughts :eek:. I'm not a tech guy so if this is not practical, humble apologies. But i am a serious web surfer so here is my view as a user.

A site owner should keep surfers at his site. Don't ever give surfers a reason to leave.

NP is interesting when i am in the mood to discuss thai matters via the forum.

But if i want to search for a subject about thailand and the board has nothing on it, then i am leaving. Any reason you cannot have a google search box on your site that opens into a new window which leaves your site open on user's computer?

If i want to know about the current headlines, sorry but i'm leaving. Will check a web portal site that sorts headlines (google, yahoo). Can you have a section on the main page, or a link to a page on your site, that has world headlines? (I'm assuming there are headline services out there that want you to do this for no cost). BTW, the "main" page on your site for me (and everyone?) is the forum index :dunno:

If i want to discuss world politics in a web forum, i'm leaving. BTW, I notice that you have chosen to not enforce the no politics rule, whether its thai or world politics being discussed. No major problems that i have seen. maybe your rule against politics is ripe to be changed? If you have headlines on your site then that is material to fuel discussion in a world politics section of the board. The more discussion the more people will want to visit/sign up for your site and i know, i'm not telling you stuff you don't know.

If i have to check my email which is web based, i end up at my email service's web portal which has a ton of stuff that might interest me. Any software to allow me to set up a link to my email thru your site without leaving?

And on that subject, what about letting users customize your site to meet their needs. make it their own web portal so to speak. Don't know what this involves in terms of software costs etc.

A web board limited to thailand can only generate so much participation. Add new categories. You'll have to depend on current users to start posting in new subject areas, but once it is started then more will come. World politics as mentioned being an example.

If i want to know my horoscope (i don't but millions do) then i'm leaving your site. Why not a link?

How about diving? I don't dive i would piss in my suit if i were more than ten feet below the surface but alot of people come to thailand to dive.

Bottom line is that a site about thailand is by definition too limited in scope to make big money. You need to look at web portal sites to see what they are doing to keep surfers at their site. And think outside of the thailand box. There is no reason why thailand has to be the ONLY focus here. Use it as a core business to launch into other subjects.

There must be some other themes that are consistent with this site. For example, thai nightlife is a major focus of this site. That does not mean that "Thai" or "nightlife" are the only themes. A board that discusses thai nightlife is, lets face it, way out of the ordinary. So subjects that are "way out of the ordinary" is another theme of this site. Unfortunately i can't think of a subject way out of the ordinary i'm running out of steam here. Parachuting? Cave exploration? Not saying you should use those the point is people are into crazy shit why not find new categories for the forum thenn add to your site based on how it goes.

Hope i said something up there helpful chokdee later godenight

:xmascheer

Archived