free taxi ride

iuytrede

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell would you know what I have read here? I read the whole thread since its inception, and my reading comprehension ability is high enough so that I understand what Sargon was getting at when he posted his post here. Odd sense of prejudgement?!! :D The only one with an odd sense of prejudgement here and doing any 'selective reading' here is you Boy. It's not that hard to understand, or is it? It's unbelievable how some turned this fairly innocent and easy 'for most' to understand thread into some kind of a silly pissing match and trying to denigrate Sargon and how he handled this circumstance of a very common occurance here in the LOS. He showed some class, tolerance and intelligence in how he handled the situation. Too bad some didn't do the same in the thread.

Cent

Sir ,

my hunting grounds are Canton and Chengdu for the majority of trips. Take a taxi from the airport in Canton and you know what I am talking about .

There is another thing I forgot to say before : I think a lot depends on what impression the driver gets when he sees you . I appear always well dressed because I like that and maybe that attracts the mosquitos . Never mind ., so what .

BuBi

Hi, I'm relatively new to the board, but I've seen this kind of misunderstanding propel an argument skyward many times before.

The key I think is in understanding that the OP is not a native speaker of English. Which means that it is easy to take different interpretations from it.

One such interpretation might indeed be that a farang that is relatively wealthy might take an insidious pleasure in ripping off a relatively poor driver. Such a view isn't wholly unrealistic - given the stories that are rife about farangs getting ripped off. Such a view might be justified - kind of 'a win for the home team', when put in that perspective. Of course, such behaviour is morally reprehensible, and I think most people would agree that ripping off a poor worker in a developing country is a terrible thing to do.

The other more (believable) interpretation, notwithstanding even the OP's later comments, given the context the post was made in, is that he was merely commenting that some drivers happen to be honest (shock horror). He commented that he recognised the honesty - and rather then sticking the driver to his original price - he decided to pay him handsomely by paying 30% extra. Good on him. This interpretation is entirely believable whereas the other is not. Note the **context**.

The further comments that derived from this misunderstanding aren't worthy of comment in my view.

I blame the guide books mostly. Every other page insists on bartering for price and warnings of service providers charging over the odds. Some people then get this idea that "just because I have a few quid i will not the let the bastards take me for a ride". I used to see this in Samui - couples walking out of the Amari beach resort and hailing a taxi, then bartering with the taxi driver over 10B... "come on mate, 40B too much, I give you 30". As Pandol said, a win for the home team. I honestly dont think they are trying to save money, they are trying to save face in a western kinda way.

Sadarm acted correctly though.... both him and the driver finished up on the deal.

Hi, I don't think any of this is about the OP's English but belgian boy's irrational argument that if you insist on sticking to a mutually agreed upon contract ahead of time by bother parties then you are "screwing someone".

BelgianBoy said:I strongly dislike when anyone brags about on how he managed to screw someone out of a few satang, but thats just me.

No one was twisting the driver's arm to say yes when the contract was made.

Even so, I thought that particular poster found a nice middle ground for both parties. Yet there was a "screwing" involved.

Now belgian boy's penchant for never admitting he is wrong is well known. Pretty much pedantic.

I'm still flabbergasted that he agrees with throwing crap like beer cans and bottles on an F1 race track. While a race is in progress!!!

<<burp>>

Archived