free taxi ride

iuytrede

A colleague of mine came to Bkk for work and used his day off to visit the palace. When he called a cab to get back to the Dusit Thani the driver told him the meter was broken and the fare would be 400 B. After some haggling they settled for 200 B (still a lot more than the meter fare). When they arrived at the hotel the driver pointed at a digital display in the taxi showing the number 3860 (sic!) and demanded 3860 B. My colleague refused to pay 3860 B and wanted to hand over 200 B, so the driver grabbed his arm and tried to get his wallet. The driver was a small old man, so my colleague - much taller and younger - just got out of the cab. The driver got out, too, and started to run around the car towards my colleague.

Suddenly my colleague heard someone asking "Can we help you?" He turned around and saw 2 police men. He turned towards the driver again, but the driver had already gotten into his car and was driving away.

BTW similar story in Phuket, a couple of weeks ago, 4 farangs insisted on paying no more than the agreed fare. There was no police and they were beaten up by the taxi mob. They had to be hospitalized.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had the taxi I got at the Term 2 arrivals queue Friday night try to go without the meter. Quoted B350. I told him "no, meter, cuz I know it is ~B160 + the B50 surcharge". He did the sucking air through his teeth thing, but readily complied.

Funny thing was this was all done in Thai. Why'd the idiot think he could scam a person who obviously has at least been in LoS before I'll never know. But he worked his way out of an SD-airport-usual ~B60 tip with that stunt. He got the coins (~B5) and the reason why...but I have no illusions that it taught him anything.

Regards,

SD -- who does feel sorry for taxi guys due to fuel costs, but hates scammers

SD - I am tipping slightly higher than before, I also feel sorry ffor them, but got pissed the other day when the meter was revolving faster than No 9 and No name bars bum!

I know to my place, it's 130+ baht.

I point out the fact to him about 2 Km's from the airport that the meter is already at what I am going to pay.

"How much you mromally pay"

120 Baht I say

"OK"

No arguemnet!

Idiot!

DOG

Once asked a cab to go to Tang Hua Seng (Thonburi side) from Nana. 100 baht, meter broken. I usually never accept broken meters, but OK (sounds very cheap). At Tang Hua Seng he says that he misjudged the distance and wants 150 baht.I always insist on the agreed price, but in this case I make an exception and pay him 130 (still feels like a good deal). On the way back, I get a metered taxi. Traffic is more heavy at that time. 150 baht on the meter.

SARGON said:

Once asked a cab to go to Tang Hua Seng (Thonburi side) from Nana. 100 baht, meter broken. I usually never accept broken meters, but OK (sounds very cheap). At Tang Hua Seng he says that he misjudged the distance and wants 150 baht.I always insist on the agreed price, but in this case I make an exception and pay him 130 (still feels like a good deal). On the way back, I get a metered taxi. Traffic is more heavy at that time. 150 baht on the meter.

WOW...... you haggled him out of 20 Bt ! And lemme guess..... no tip was given, right ? well done...... ! ::

BB

You know the little cupon they give you at the airport? It might have some eventual effect if we used them whenever a driver was particularly evil or troublesome.

Last night, around 19:00, we stood in the taxi cue at the domestic arrivals at Don Maung. In all it was only a 10 minute wait, but it could have been shorter. About half the taxis that came by actually pulled into the line of taxis. Many of those that didn't drove slowly past the pasenger cue, looking for a passenger who was tired of waiting in line. These guys stink and should be kept out of the airport.

Archived