End of my Era...Going Home

itsmedave

A post that took 5 1/2 years in the making...

At 1am Thursday, Feb 15, Dee, Katie, and I will board an Asiana flight back to the real world.

If it seems sudden, it's really not, as we nearly moved back in June, and then again in September.

The reasons...

Dee desperately wants to move to America saying she's "sick" of Thailand (even more than I am)

Political instability, bombings, and my fears that it will only get worse when a certain highly respected figure kicks a certain bucket (with the targets of any violence in doubt)

A job that, while ridiculously easy. takes WAY too much of my time while paying only enough to get by (I could do that in the states and have decent tv)

A loss of many of the things I used to enjoy...golf, book club, Fridays out with the guys, evenings spent in the Temples on Soi Cowboy...mainly due to this job which keeps me out 12 hours a day (and every other Saturday)

A grandmother who's constantly asking for more time with her new daughter (who speaks with her most everyday on-line) and her granddaughter

And my desire to have a car again, and be able to leave my house and still communicate with people..

I will miss so many things (not just the weekly massages) and many of you, but, finally, it seems the time is right.

If any of you have been over to our house and coveted any of our crap, including the house itself...EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!

As for me, with my last workday Feb 2, I will be willing and available for any going away parties after that (every night would be great)

Thanks to all who have been a part of these last great 5 1/2 years.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, Dave. I moved back to the States in the late '80s ... and was quite disappointed. It was nice to be home for a while and I managed to pound out several non-fiction books and a hundred or more freelance stories before I ran out of steam. But I also found that just about everything I complained about in Thailand existed at home, only without the smile. I was in my early 40s, but found it hard to get a job -- in part because I was the wrong colour and gender. To my dismay, my overseas experience seemed to put some employers off! They either didn't know what to make of it, or were just plain jealous. It took me a couple of years to land a job as a writing instructor for the US Army, which I enjoyed very much. But Congress reduced the Army so much that my job disappeared. To my surprise, an ex-colleague here submitted my CV to his university -- and they wrote me to offer me a job. I jumped at it.

If nothing else, going back does give you a better perspective on Thailand and lets you decide where you really want to be. Also, it might give you a chance to land a real job here with a decent international level salary, instead of the crap pay we get from Thai employers. At the very least, try to put enough money away so that you can retire here comfortably. Look to the future, something most of us are quite lax about doing.

Good luck Dave. Stay in touch. I hope to see you before you leave. And if you need any tips on doing an AOS on a tourist visa for your wife, let me know. I am sure I can contribute something, even if the data are years old.

Cheers,

SD

Archived