Suvarnabhumi Full Shut Down

bust

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

different people different opinions and experiences I guess

1. Check-in - WAY to crowded, loud, and poor ventilation.

Don't know about the Check-in since I never needed to do it myself, I don't agree with the poor ventilation, i thought it is a very decent climate considering that temperature and humidity outside and the amounts of glass used at the check in area and it isn't louder then any airport I know, actually when you use Entrance 1 it sounds like nobody is in the building! Later you say you can't find the lounge, which means you have priority check in, I wonder what Airline that is because Thai Airways handles it's stuff perfectly!!!

2. Immigration (both ways) - no problems ... actually improved over Don Muang.

agree!

3. Concourses - way too narrow, too few moving walkways, lack of "basic" concessions (coffee, food, non-alcoholic drinks). Duty free crap spilling into the walkways and impeding traffic. Poor signage for gates, lounges, etc.

The concourses aren't too narrow it is a very strange light, kind of hospital lighting, a very untypical color which is irritating but everything is well to read and I am saying that as one with really bad eyes!

There are dozens of very beautiful designed bars where you can drink coffee, where you can eat and drink a coke right behind the immigration desks!

There are also about 40 shops where you can eat or drink before you check in.

I don't know what lounge you are looking for but i find it impossible to oversee the Thai Airways lounges wit it's huge signs and the plastic pointing into the direction.

Direction to the gates is perfectly described, if you don't find the letter of your gate then because you are too distracted to look around!

There are too few moving walkways but this also never happened to be a problem for me, I never had to wait or stand!

4. Gates - DARK, DARK, DARK. Impossible to read at night. Gawdawful seats. Gate areas too small to accommodate a full 747 (let alone an A380!).

You certainly have problems with your night vision, I do too but have no problems to read anything. Everything that is to read at the gates has a backlight. I agree that the gates appear too dark but that is the concrete which doesn't reflect the light, if they'd paint it white the problem would be solved. I heard they will do it 3 weeks after Song Kran.

The size of the gate depends on the gate, my first flight on 29th of september was a totally packed 747 and all passengers has been seated even when some people occupied seats with their handluggage. What bothers me is the material, it is not appropriate and could hurt your kidneys since it is too cold. DM had a good seating startegy at the gates because when it was full you could sit somewhere else, however.... there are usually never enough seats at the gates but SB has at least 10 gates that fits all passengers and when the new airbus is coming they have said they will remove the lass walls between the gates and will use 2 gates as one!

5. Baggage claim - much much slower than at Don Muang

I made certainly different experiences!!!!

I flew in 4 times now, I left the plane as one of the first 10 people, i got driven by an electric car which is probably 3 times faster than walking, i went through a diplomatic immigration desk with no people in front of me and when I arrived at the baggage claim it never had to wait longer than 3 minutes! I find it very impressive how fast the priority luggage arrives, you said you were looking for a lounge... when you are entitled to a lounge your are entitled to check in your bags with priority label.

6. Transportation - OK, when you know where to look. But those stupid AOT limo touts are bloody annoying.

They are annoying and the arrival pick up area is way too small especially in context with the huge dimensions of everything else. I don't know about you but whenever I fly in I get an airport map form the flight attendants 2 hours before landing, it is clearly market where to get a taxi and where to get a limousine! There are also maps at the airport! That AOT takes over the main exit to make some extra cash is not ideal but understandable.

7. Overall appearance - Dark, dirty, uninviting.

I find the shopping area before check in amazing, if you have time to kill it is perfect. I find the entrance area breathtakingly beautiful, the glass and with partial blue neon is stunning, untill leaving the lounge it doesn't remind me of an airport and still I have no problems to find the directions. I once walked around instead of going to the lounge and found the long bars and the artwork between those bars well amazing and I loved the design of the bars.

However, the light bothers me too, it is not too dark to see but it isn't comforting, that's a light I expect in jail but not on an airport, it is kinda not too bright with a greenish effect, they better work that out and paint the concrete!

In comparison to DM it is a huge upgrade for me, for starters I don't get a heat shock when I go out, I don't have to drive through the entire city to get to Pattaya, I safe 1 hour of time and the design of the airport is better. People are just not used to it and complain about finding directions.

I don't think it is dirty but maybe I have a higher tolerance about that!

This morning needed less than 3mns to find a taxi going to Chantaburi for 1200TBH, cops are trying to chase the cabs away upstairs and hence they are pretty easy to convince for a ride.

It was smooth again, although I did notice the imigration officer counting the days on my Thai entry stamps...this might cause some longer queues...

Back to TG F lounge this WE, really hard to figure out anything smoother when it comes to check in and imigration clearance when u go that way... but again the UL lounge is also aHUGE improvement over the one in Don Muang, and I guess it's the same for several other lounges.

Just hope the Dom Perignon will withstand a casual plane crash and it's a fine airport.

Kojis... working hard...

I should have clarified that my experiences were not on TG, but on UA and EVA.

UA check-in, biz class, was brutal. Partly UA's fault, but the area is also just too small. At at 4:30am. it was stuffy and hot (I suspect they had all ventilation turned off at that hour to save $$).

At 5am, there were no places to buy food or coffee open, but all of the shops to buy Bulgari, Fendi, Rolex, etc. were open. Go figure.

On EVA the check-in was OK (less crowded). The EVA lounge is nicer than the one at DM, but much harder to find (even using their map).

I guess my point is that this airport could have and should have been soooo much better. If I was traveling someplace, and I had my choice to connect thru HKG, SIN, KUL, or BKK, Then BKK would come in dead last. Its just a depressing, dark, overcrowded shopping mall full of shit I have no desire to buy.

Things cleared up now, I understand that it isn't nice when nothing is open and talking about UA is pointless, they will never learn, I have shared my headache with them when I flew to JFK, never again!

BuBi

I am getting always a brochure with exactly this map

http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destination_Information/Airport_Information/SBIA_airport_geninfo.htm

Archived