Suvarnabhumi Full Shut Down

bust

Some interesting info in that thread tha t need further investigation...Will check in Paris if I can get a F ticket in an agency cheaper than from Tg office. So far haven't and it's 3756 euros for a 1 month ticket :( .

I seem to recall 750$ upgrade from Y to C and heard it's 750Euros from C to F, check Flyertalk.com for more info but 600US sounds on the cheap side....

As of the different letters in economy... there are V,W,Y,B,M and I must forget some... I never buy the cheaper classes and many of those from Tg office in Paris yet the lack of op upgrades on flights last 2 years are one of the reasons I tend to buy premium class tickets straightaway nowadays. If there's a single seat available in Y expect Tg to seat u in there... so off season should be bring one even less luck... plus as there are now fewer seats in C the cabin is also regulary full so it's likely to have gotten even more difficult to get op upgrades lately

Anyway guys... don't fight and enjoy the Dom Perignon...for 2000Euros the better... heading back to the lounge tonight...

Cheers

Kojis

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to always ask for special meals in economy, they arrive earlier and just about always are better than the regular meals.

However when I never got a upgrade i asked why. Turns out requesting a special meal locks you into economy, as they make the meal special for you, and if you are upgraded then there would be no "special superior" meal available,

I stopped ordering special meals and started getting upgrdes!

As of Thalenoi's post... there were some funny notes there... almost makes you believe cheap food and drinks with sexy smiling half naked hostess across the lobbies are regular features in most airports of the world... airports are usually neither a very friendly nor a cheap place to hang out. I don't think Suvaboomboom is below par on that sector...

LOL....

There is a Family Mart in Savanaboom with 10b bottles of water, try to find the shop is the challenge.

There is also a food court stuck away in the basement, you are not supposed to find the cheap place damn it! That's for working thais only (similar to the Dong Muang food court next the Family Mart at the beginning of the walkway bridge towards the domestic terminal).

It's the same at Sillypore's Changi airport, a food court is within walking distance from the terminals, outside. Not one traveller who (need to) knows.

And indeed, find me an airport where food drinks are at normal shop prices...That's why I always take some drinks out of my fridge before leaving to an airport.

As for the duty free shops, Thailand has one of the most expensive ones. Not to be below par with CDG, because I forgot to buy my preferred champagne, Piper Heidsieck, cuvee Florens Louis rose, which I found there, more expensive than at my local supplier. A mistake I will not repeat.

The Savanaboom check in hall is similar to Big C or Lotus: LOUD, will give you ear dammage from the noise. Strange no one noticed, or cares???

I will repeat this again: The place was not built with the traveller in mind. If that is ok to you, fine, be happy. Many things have not been built with the consumer/user in mind (computers and computer software to name just two) . It is well know consumers are idiots :neener:

Could not agree more, Thainoi. Compared to HKG or SIN, it is a joke. Frankly, I'd rather fly thru Narita or ATL than Swampypoon (not exactly high praise).

Part of the justification in building this absurd monument was to compete with SIN, HKG, and KUL for the hearts and minds of travelers and airlines. Not exactly an auspicious start.

Hmmm ... let me count the ways

1. Check-in - WAY to crowded, loud, and poor ventilation.

2. Immigration (both ways) - no problems ... actually improved over Don Muang.

3. Concourses - way too narrow, too few moving walkways, lack of "basic" concessions (coffee, food, non-alcoholic drinks). Duty free crap spilling into the walkways and impeding traffic. Poor signage for gates, lounges, etc.

4. Gates - DARK, DARK, DARK. Impossible to read at night. Gawdawful seats. Gate areas too small to accommodate a full 747 (let alone an A380!).

5. Baggage claim - much much slower than at Don Muang

6. Transportation - OK, when you know where to look. But those stupid AOT limo touts are bloody annoying.

7. Overall appearance - Dark, dirty, uninviting.

But hey, that's just nitpicking, isn't it?

I did not see much of the above. I mean it was a long distance to passport control from the gate and I was in a hurry so I rushed but I did not have any of these problems. I seemed to be on my own checking in there were no real crowds. There were uni girls walking around guiding people to the right places. The baggage claim was slow but my bag was second or third off so not too bad. The Taxi/limo situation did piss me off though.

As for the duty free shops, Thailand has one of the most expensive ones.

Well I guess it always depends on what you are buying and how you like to draw the picture!

For starters, a carton L&M Reds is 450 baht which is 9.95 Euros. In a Germany store I pay 40 Euros and in a European Duty Free 25 Euros!

More than 60% of the Duty Free Products are corporate products and do actually cost exactly the same as anywhere else in the world. I.E. Biotherm "Lait Corporel" bodylotion. It is 29 Euros at JFK, Barcelona, Madrid, Frankfurt, STockholm and BKK. The same goes for any other product I have compared on the cosmetic market.

A huge box of orchids for less then 1000 baht isn't expensive either.

It really depends on what you are buying. I haven't seen one product (i was interested in) that was more expensive at a "King Power" duty free then anywhere else in the country and that is usually the point of a Duty Free Shop, to buy the product without taxes!

Archived